What's new

Deep Discount.com Sale - Nov 13 - Nov 29 (40% off BD/DVD - 30% off CDs/Books) (1 Viewer)

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Someone remind me how to do the math for this?

Weeds Season 3 BluRay: MSRP aka "Why pay" $39.95. "Our price" $20.87.

So if the sale is 40% off MSRP, isn't that $39.95 * .60 = $23.97?

In other words, the sale price is 3 dollars more than their normal price?

UPDATE: I'm starting to think the price is simply whatever price the site says -- no calculations involved, no discount appears in the shopping cart or at checkout. Frankly it is hard to tell that it's a sale. It just looks like the usual competitive prices, if that's true.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Star Trek(2009) 3 disc Blu-ray.
Why pay the MSRP of $39.99, when you can get the sale price at Deepdiscount for $34.23?

Are they serious.....How is this 40% off ?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by Bryan^H

Star Trek(2009) 3 disc Blu-ray.
Why pay the MSRP of $39.99, when you can get the sale price at Deepdiscount for $34.23?

Are they serious.....How is this 40% off ?
I was wondering that too. I suspect all the preorder titles -- ST is not out just yet -- are not getting that 40%-off "sale" discount unless/until they are in actual release before the sale ends.

Of course, if you really want ST, you can already get it from certain other places like Amazon for

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Use code N4V24RVDNH to get an extra $5 off orders $25 or more (one time only use).
for people placing small orders, this combined with the 40% off yields a good size bargain.

Spread over two orders I picked up

Claudette Colbert Collection
The General (Bd)
The Fugitive S3 V1
Mary Tyler Moore S5
Who Is Killing The Great Chefs Of Eurpope (WB Archive)

Total: $118.23

that comes to $30.36 less than I would have to pay at Amazon right now, or put another way, DD held a 30% off sale (off of Amazon's discounted prices). So I'm quite satisfied as far as deals go. This will end up being the least I've ever spent in the fall DD sale and that should be cause for celebrating, 'cept that the Barnes And Nobel Criterion sale is taking up all the slack I left here. Getting deals like $36 for the $100 Eric Rohmer set, $14 for That Hamilton Woman, and $22 for the Lubtisch Musicals (all prices include tax) really fries my brain cells making it way too easy to over indulge.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Thanks for the code, Paul! Will check that out then.

RE: B&N, I picked up Howards End BD myself (for $13.50+tax after a 25%-off coupon). Would've picked up Seventh Seal, if the store had any stock. May try ordering it online instead (although the $5-off coupon mentioned in that other thread doesn't seem to work online). Actually, maybe I could try reserving it online for local pickup (kinda like the BB thing) since they seem to be offering that now.

_Man_

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Actually, maybe I could try reserving it online for local pickup (kinda like the BB thing) since they seem to be offering that now.
yeah, they should do that, and you will still be able to use the $5 off coupon.

Between the B&N Criterion sale, Amazons price matching war on new releases, and the DD sale, I'll be spending just as much as I usually do, doggoneit....just spread around more as opposed to being concentrated on one e-tailer.
Just got in part of my first order (the Claudette Colbert set is on backorder). This order was placed Friday morning so this is without a doubt the fastest turnaround I've ever experienced. Helped in large part I'm sure, to everyone else staying away because the discount isn't as "deep" this year :D . I'm very curious now to see how long it takes to get the one archive title I ordered (which was listed as 'in stock' ).

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
That code worked for me. I was able to pick up two copies of Season 5 of The Office for $51.78, a substantial discount off the $59.98 MSRP (one copy will be a Christmas gift).

It looks like DDD may be doing some price matching, because Amazon has Season 5 of The Office priced at $28.49.

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
I bought Smallville season 8 for $18.99 at Target and then found the same price at Amazon the next day,

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Alfred Hitchcock Presents Season 4 was $31.95 at DD, which wasn't 40% off ($39.99 MSRP). I assume this is because it was a pre-order. But a day later the price came down to $27.95, and with a $5 coupon code, the price reached $22.95, which is cheaper than the previous version of the sale would have been.

Coupon code: FLNHEICBBA

Sold.

Michael Sliger

Second Unit
For those of you wondering if the HOTSTUFF free gift code was worth using, I can clearly say that it is not worth the trouble. I ended up with a New York Jets embossed UNO card pack in a helmet shaped case. Be sure to use one of the extra savings codes instead as I have to assume that most people would rather have the $5 instead of something like this. At least this year my order arrived about 2-3 days earlier than normal.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
My HOTSTUFF gift is a collection of books called Images: The Ultimate Coloring Experience by Roger Burrows.

http://www.amazon.com/Images-No-1-Roger-Burrows/dp/1561381098/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1258857151&sr=8-1

It will be someone's Christmas gift.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Richard Gallagher /forum/thread/294833/deep-discount-...0-off-bd-dvd-30-off-cds-books/30#post_3630852

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well...I ordered three SACDs from Deep Discount's sale.

I received my package today containing all three titles: in CD format.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Anyone know of a Thelonious Monk or Bill Evans SACD worth getting from DD?

I'm thinking of picking up The General BD and would like a jazz SACD to go w/ that to use the $5 coupon.

I saw some that claim to be SACDs there, but I'm not too convinced (judging by the release dates and catalog #s), especially since Mike had his problem w/ ordering SACDs from them. I guess Monk's Straight, No Chaser and Mingus' Mingus Ah Um are probably actual SACDs, but seems like their quality aren't that good (and they're not hybrid SACDs?). The others I found seem like they may be erroneous listings.

Thanks.

_Man_

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Man: I just picked up (at a local FYE) the Monk SACD 5 By 5.

Even though I paid "full price" for this SACD, I have always wanted to be introduced to Monk's music and have been looking for good SACDs. This is one that sounds great and I'm sorry I waited so long to be introduced to the music of the man who, for me, will always be thought of as "the loneliest monk"--a reference to Martha Quinn's long ago confused slip-up on MTV.

Not sure if that disc is on the list at DD, but I give it a . Straight, No Chaser is supposed to be his seminal work, I guess.

Bill Evans' Sunday at the Village Vanguard is an awesome disc. The versions of Alice in Wonderland are incredible. But I've only got the CD of this one...so I can't tell you about the sound of the SACD. Check out SA-CD.net for ideas.

I don't know what to say about the SACD experience I just had at DD, but the oh-for-three sure has left a bad taste in my mouth. I would hope their jazz catalog isn't screwed up...but one of the discs I ordered was a Tony Bennett SACD.

I have this totally imagined idea of some warehouse guy going to a shelf and seeing the slot for my order empty and picking the CD-version in the adjoining slot and thinking that there's no difference between the two and sending it.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Mike,

Thanks for the recommendations. Yeah, I did look up some titles on sa-cd.net and was going to get Monk's 5 By 5 or Bill Evans' Sunday at the Village Vanguard *OR* his Waltz for Debby. The DD site claims to have the SACD version for all of them (in their detailed description for each), *BUT* the release dates don't seem to match the SACD versions (and look more like the older CD versions) and the catalog #s also don't seem to match either. Those SACDs normally go for a lot more $ too, so I'm thinking they're erroneous listings.

I guess I could take the risk on one of them, if the regular CD version would at least be good CD quality. But I have no idea whether the regular CD is good.

Yeah, I too had been meaning to get into jazz recordings more, but just hadn't gotten around to them so far. Only have a small collection of Miles Davis's older classics and some more generic/mainstream stuff.

_Man_

PS: Hmmm... Think I'll just go w/ the classic Straight, No Chaser SACD this time (although it's currently out of stock). It gets good reviews for sound and seems to be the one case where DD's listing looks most reliable -- it's also cheaper at just ~$6. Only catch is it's not hybrid SACD -- guess I'll just have to take the trouble to digitize the analog output from my player myself (like I've done before), if I want to listen to it on my iPod Touch from time to time... . Straight, No Chaser is supposed to be his seminal work, I guess.

Bill Evans' Sunday at the Village Vanguard is an awesome disc. The versions of Alice in Wonderland are incredible. But I've only got the CD of this one...so I can't tell you about the sound of the SACD. Check out SA-CD.net for ideas.

I don't know what to say about the SACD experience I just had at DD, but the oh-for-three sure has left a bad taste in my mouth. I would hope their jazz catalog isn't screwed up...but one of the discs I ordered was a Tony Bennett SACD.

I have this totally imagined idea of some warehouse guy going to a shelf and seeing the slot for my order empty and picking the CD-version in the adjoining slot and thinking that there's no difference between the two and sending it.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
That sucks Mike.
I just had a similar experience (sort of). There seemed to have been a glitch last night and Heroes S2 (Blu-ray) was showing up for $8.99. It was listed that way from shopping cart to after order confirm page, but the confirmation e-mail is showing up as and SNL best of disc. No way to cancel now of course, so this will be going back unopened.
Oh well. Despite having every order shipped in bubble mailers this year, I can't really complain about the prices or service. Turn around times this year were blisteringly fast for me (except for one order that seems to have gone awol).
Personally I think DD's days are numbered in this economy, and despite the occasional problems I hate to lose any more competition.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The thing is, Paul, DD simply needs to figure out what it's got in-stock and not-in-stock.

There seem to be a lot of SACDs on DD's site that I don't think they carry anymore. That is, I don't think they've been in-stock for quite some time. And, will they be getting new stock any time soon? Doubtful.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon ">[/url]

Man: I just picked up (at a local FYE) the Monk SACD 5 By 5.

Even though I paid "full price" for this SACD, I have always wanted to be introduced to Monk's music and have been looking for good SACDs. This is one that sounds great and I'm sorry I waited so long to be introduced to the music of the man who, for me, will always be thought of as "the loneliest monk"--a reference to Martha Quinn's long ago confused slip-up on MTV.

Not sure if that disc is on the list at DD, but I give it a

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks