What's new

CSI: Vegas 2021 CBS season 1 (2 Viewers)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm so happy that The X-Files was made at a time when 24 or 22 episodes was the norm because despite the occasional bad episode, I'd never trade the other good or great ones that exist only because they had to turn out 3 times the number of episodes that some shows make today. If the show was made today, there'd have been like 70 of them in nine years and instead there's over 200. The same for Lost. If that was made today, they'd have done 40 episodes and all the other 80 episodes where I got to 'know' those characters or see other great stuff would have been lost just so some studio could spend less money and so people could binge watch all 7 episodes in a weekend.

Now, I will say that there's no one rule because some shows like True Detective where the entire season is one story only, I do think that 20-some episodes probably wouldn't have served that story as well as just having 8 did. Ultimately, it's just a way to spend less money and create the image (not always the reality) of being prestigious.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
(A lot of folks will highly disagree with me on this).

Besides "The Good Wife", the only other show I've found which maintained high quality 22-24+ episodes per season over the past decade or so, was "The Big Bang Theory".

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I'm so happy that The X-Files was made at a time when 24 or 22 episodes was the norm because despite the occasional bad episode, I'd never trade the other good or great ones that exist only because they had to turn out 3 times the number of episodes that some shows make today. If the show was made today, there'd have been like 70 of them in nine years and instead there's over 200. The same for Lost. If that was made today, they'd have done 40 episodes and all the other 80 episodes where I got to 'know' those characters or see other great stuff would have been lost just so some studio could spend less money and so people could binge watch all 7 episodes in a weekend.

Similarly with Babylon 5.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
The following shows had 18-22 episode seasons in 2019/20
Chicago Fire
Chicago Med
Chicago PD
The Rookie
Blue Bloods
Blacklist
NCIS
New Amsterdam
The Flash

Obviously 2020/21 is an anomaly. But I expect many of these to be 18-22 this year

So, regular length seasons are still a thing

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Now, I will say that there's no one rule because some shows like True Detective where the entire season is one story only, I do think that 20-some episodes probably wouldn't have served that story as well as just having 8 did. Ultimately, it's just a way to spend less money and create the image (not always the reality) of being prestigious.

(Going back further in time).

Where did this notion of "prestige" shows having less than 22-24 episodes come from?

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
The fact that the prestige shows run 12 and usually even less episodes. No HBO or Netflix show that I'm aware of runs 20-some episodes.

If I had to guess, a show like "The Sopranos" was the prototype of what would be identified as a "prestige show" today?

Offhand, I can't think of any obvious earlier HBO (or showtime, etc ....) shows, which might fit (retroactively) into a "prestige" category.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
The following shows had 18-22 episode seasons in 2019/20
Chicago Fire
Chicago Med
Chicago PD
The Rookie
Blue Bloods
Blacklist
NCIS
New Amsterdam
The Flash

Obviously 2020/21 is an anomaly. But I expect many of these to be 18-22 this year

So, regular length seasons are still a thing

For the older shows in this ^ list, full 22-24+ episodes seasons would make sense since they already have long term off-network syndication deals.

For example, last year Dick Wolf signed a huge syndication deal while Blue Bloods and Blacklist each had sydication deals for many years previously (since 2014).

At this time, it is not clear whether The Rookie, New Amsterdam, or The Flash have long term syndication deals.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I’m going to ignore all the latest post about the finale as I have not gotten there yet. :). I just watched the 7th episode, In the Blood. The plot thickens! After Grissom visits Wix sister, it’s interesting to hear his reaction about how people just won’t believe the science. They debate and question it. Sounds familiar.

So far I’ve been enjoying this new cast and the weekly investigations. The two lead CSI’s are pretty good together.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I’m going to ignore all the latest post about the finale as I have not gotten there yet. :). I just watched the 7th episode, In the Blood. The plot thickens! After Grissom visits Wix sister, it’s interesting to hear his reaction about how people just won’t believe the science. They debate and question it. Sounds familiar.

So far I’ve been enjoying this new cast and the weekly investigations. The two lead CSI’s are pretty good together.

Yeah, I had a similar reaction. :) Glad you are still enjoying the series.

- Walter.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey Walter- Yeah, this new iteration of CSI: Vegas has been very well done. It had a strong start and continuous to be strong.

On a side note: I watch via Paramount+ and I had left the subtitles on from my viewing Discovery. So what was funny was during the title credits, to see the lyrics show up on screen. Who who, who who. :)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
After Grissom visits Wix sister, it’s interesting to hear his reaction about how people just won’t believe the science. They debate and question it. Sounds familiar.
I loved that because I wasn't expecting to hear commentary on the world today from CSI and because it is 100% something that Grissom would feel and be perplexed or frustrated by.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Although William Petersen and Jorja Fox are not returning for season two, apparently CBS has been able to sign Marg Helgenberger.
CSI.jpg

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I must have missed the news that Jorja Fox was not returning.
I was aware about Pederson.

Great news about Helgenberger (wasn't sure it was possible with All Rise moving to streaming)

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
I have enjoyed following the discussion in this thread regarding the difficulty in maintaining quality over 22 or 24 episodes per season, as opposed to 8 or 10 or 13 episodes per season for (arguably) higher quality shows.

It is interesting to look back and see how some series during the “Golden Age” of television produced 39 episodes per season. 22 or 13 episodes per season today seem very slight in comparison.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
She did not renew her contract with that show when it moved from CBS to OWN.
Apparently (as of yesterday's news), she will be 'recurring' on All Rise.

And the Jorja news broke about two weeks ago (she didn't want Grissom and Sara split up again). I had missed that news.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks