What's new

CSI: Vegas 2021 CBS season 1 (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
CSI: Vegas is being revived and coming back to CBS this fall. I was surprised to see this a few weeks ago. William Peterson and Jorja Fox will reprise their roles Grissom and Sara as will Wallace Langham as Hodges and Paul Guilfoyle as Jim Brass. No others are returning, though new cast members round out the cast. The series returns October 6th.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I watched the premiere episode of CSI last night via Paramount+.

I thought it was pretty good. The new cast of CSI‘s are interesting so far, a range of quirky personalities. And I liked how they created a situation where they’d need to have Sara and Grissom be part of the show. Though I imagine some people might find it hard to believe the young new CSI’s would hold that much reverence to the original CSI’s.

It was interesting that they used very similar kinds of effects shots and editing the shots in a very similar way to the original. The new theme music was nicely recreated rather then use the original Who song.

For some reason, I thought this show was only through streaming, so I see in TV Guide that it airs on CBS Wednesday nights.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’m really enjoying this so far. They’re almost doing two kinds of shows simultaneously - the new cast is mostly working on mysteries of the week that get set up in the cold open and resolved by the end of the episode, while the returning cast is working on solving an ongoing mystery surrounding one of their own. It really has struck a nice balance between the procedural elements that made the franchise a hit in the first place while honoring the legacy characters and the audience investment in them.

And those characters have grown, too. In the original run, when Gil Grissom faced a life changing medical condition in an earlier season, he suffered in silence and put off treatment while keeping his team in the dark. Here, he starts the most recent episode shown suffering from a destabilizing condition and we see him initially hiding it from Sara Sidle, but instead of that turning into an ongoing deception, he comes clean by the end of the episode and opens up to her. It’s a wonderful bit of character growth and it feels very organic that he’s not repeating a negative pattern from earlier. Too often, procedurals (even ones with serialized elements) fall into a trap of having familiar characters repeat the same issues rather than allowing for the possibility of growth, and it’s been really nice to see a Grissom that has learned from his own experiences.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
We've really been enjoying this. I think they've done a fantastic job with this.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
And those characters have grown, too. In the original run, when Gil Grissom faced a life changing medical condition in an earlier season, he suffered in silence and put off treatment while keeping his team in the dark.
I kinda figured that would get 'forgotten' about just so they didn't have to deal with the continuity so I was pleasantly surprised that they kept that thread from the original run alive.

I laughed at how happy I was that they kept "Who Are You".

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Oh shoot, you guys are up to date on the new episodes, I’ve only seen the premiere. I can’t read your posts! :)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Watched episode four of the current season earlier tonight. It is holding up pretty well. If I were to offer any criticism of the season long story arc it would be that I think the Cross character is written as too aggressive, at least to date. The confrontational aspects of her interactions are a bit much. (Very apt name for this character, BTW. :) ) Obviously, this is (probably) being done to setup a satisfying payoff at a latter date. Curious to see if they continue in this vein for this character or if any adjustments are made as more evidence in the background case comes to light.

Really enjoyed Grissom and Sidle's scenes together, with them strategizing out how to proceed in the investigation. Some nice editing in this episode to convey that aspect of the storyline.

- Walter.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
I am enjoying the CSI: Vegas reboot as well. Just wondering if all of you are aware that this first season will have ten episodes.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
This week's episode was better than some of the earlier ones, but I agree that the Cross character is such a turn-off and frustrating for the viewer since we KNOW Gil and Sarah did nothing wrong and resent her threats and taunts. I LOVE Gil's cool under pressure scenes with this ghoul.

I still haven't warmed to the new team, however.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
The series completed its ten episode run today. It was a nice nostalgia trip and the new cast sort of grew on me. I think more time with Anson Wix (Jamie McShane) might have made the series a bit stronger, but I understand that they were balancing a season long arc with case of the week plot lines. Nice use of The Who's The Seeker during the closing montage.

It still felt like pretty standard network fare the way it wrapped up, but that can be okay some times. Nice to see Petersen and Fox again.

- Walter.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'll watch the last episode some time today, and I'm eager to see the smug villains get their comeuppance. (At least, I hope they do.) No word yet on the series gaining a renewal. Time will tell, I suppose.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I saw the fifth episode last night, I’m taking my time to enjoy the series, one a week after a late start. As I said above, I kept thinking the series was exclusive to Paramount +.

I’m liking the episodes so far, the new cast and their characters are likable. The Cross character is pretty much a villain to our heroes. Though I’m not sure I totally get how Sara was able to convince Cross to give Grissom the case files by pretending to be emotional and playing to Cross’ suspicions. Perhaps she knew Sara was playing her and will be revealed later.

The level of blood and guts seemed higher then allowed for a networks series, another reason I thought it was only for streaming. But it’s probably no worse then it was before.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
The level of blood and guts seemed higher then allowed for a networks series, another reason I thought it was only for streaming. But it’s probably no worse then it was before.

Perhaps (Likely?) I am desensitized to the gore after so much forensic oriented entertainment over the years, but the level of blood and viscera seems about par for the course for network standards.

I recall watching the original CSI: Crime Scene Investigation and Bones when they were airing concurrent seasons and at the time I had the impression that each show was trying to 'one up' the other in the blood / guts department. One of the nastiest things I recall (still stays with me) was when Catherine and (I believe Warrick) found a grossly decomposed body in a bathtub, basically marinating. Yeeesh. I believe this was in season four in the fall of 2003.

Of course, Bones started later in 2005.

- Walter.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Yes, I think it’s no worse then it was on the original CSI. I never saw Bones. Maybe because it’s been a while since I last watched CSI, it seems more then it was.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I really enjoyed this. Grissom's monologue at the end was a winner. I liked seeing Grissom's love of rollercoasters get brought up again.

Beyond the last scene, there was last week's commercial that called this week's episode the season finale so it seems like CBS wants to bring it back next year. I liked the new characters but I do hope they can bring back Petersen and Fox or other original cast members again.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
last week's commercial that called this week's episode the season finale so it seems like CBS wants to bring it back next year. I liked the new characters but I do hope they can bring back Petersen and Fox or other original cast members again.
When Jorja Fox was on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert a few weeks ago promoting this show, she seemed very hopeful and open that CBS would grant another season of the series, alluding that this was not intended to be a limited-run.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
An interesting little piece of trivia: Matt Lauria, who plays Joshua Folsom on the reboot, played a detective (Matthew Pratt) for three episodes during the 2011-2012 season of the original series.
CSI.jpg

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I enjoyed the season finale episode even if they seemed to wrap it up very quickly after running into dead ends for most of the episode. For me, Gil and Sara made this season, and I would want them a part of the show going forward (though Billy Petersen may have no more interest in appearing on camera). They just exude the show for me, and while the new people were okay, they didn't quite capture my fancy the way Gil and Sara did (of course, after years and years on the show, of course they exemplify the show for me: I stopped watching it when Gil left.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks