What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Criterion Press Release: It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World (Dual Format) (1 Viewer)

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Steve Tannehill said:
Could someone please fill in the blank in this restored scene between the Chief and Culpepper?

Chief: "You think he told them something?"

Culpepper: "I don't think they stopped to play _____________, Chief."

I can't make out the last word.
Sounds like "shimmy"? Or "Chitty"?

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
Steve Tannehill said:
Could someone please fill in the blank in this restored scene between the Chief and Culpepper?

Chief: "You think he told them something?"

Culpepper: "I don't think they stopped to play _____________, Chief."

I can't make out the last word.
Shinny. It's an informal game of ice or street hockey.

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
Stephen_J_H said:
It seems that for multi-disc titles, the trend among publishers is to reduce the shelf footprint at all costs. While I am not a fan of the use of sleeves, it is far preferable to the "stacking" practice lables like Warner and Disney have been employing with recent packages. I was overjoyed when Fox's Wolverine multi-disc set came with inner tray "pages" as this is my preference, with second place going to Fox's book-style packaging using die-cut pages rather than the sleeve-style pages employed in the Indiana Jones set.
The inner tray pages are obviously the way to go, and doesn't increase the shelf footprint at all. Hopefully Criterion adopts that soon, because the cardboard sleeve 5 disc fold out in this title is a little ridiculous.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Steve Tannehill said:
The flashback kids in IAWL are sliding down a hill...
The actual line was, "I don't think they stopped to play Rosebud, Chief."

Aha! NOW the whole movie makes sense! You see, the kids in IAWL were actually sledding down on Rosebud, because they were the heirs of Charles Foster Kane. And nobody told them! It's a vast, hidden movie conspiracy; Culp offers clues. Someday one of us will put all these movies and crack the code. The sled appeared next in A Christmas Story. The one person who figured out the conspiracy got his tongue stuck to a flagpole and had to have it amputated. He's never spoken of the incident.

MSC77

Agent
Real Name
Michael Coate
Help me out, guys. What is the protocol on something like this?I recently posted a link to a MAD WORLD article written for my film history column over at The Digital Bits. (Some of the folks who have posted comments in this thread participated in the article's interview segment, and there's also a breakdown of the movie's original reserved-seat "Cinerama" presentations.) I imagine few of you know about the article because the link seems to have been overlooked given the sheer number of pages this conversation consists of. What do you feel is the best way to handle a situation like this where I have an article on a subject that may be of interest to HTF members? Should I start a fresh thread? Should I post the link in an existing thread on same subject? Should I create a thread just for my column? And how does one take the edge off posting a link to one's own work when some people will dislike what they perceive as a shameless plug or self promotion or whatever else they get hung up on?Anyway, until we can agree on an ideal approach, here's the link:http://www.thedigitalbits.com/columns/history-legacy--showmanship/its-a-mad-mad-mad-mad-retrospective

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
It's getting here.
Latest word is that the Plane has finally touched down in Australia.
Next stop Customs.
dhl6.jpg

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Doug Bull said:
It's getting here.
Latest word is that the Plane has finally touched down in Australia.
Next stop Customs.
attachicon.gif
dhl6.jpg
Let's hope they don't ask for a $350,000 duty to clear customs...

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Steve Tannehill said:
If that happens then I'll just have to sell the House, but keep my Blu-ray player and TV so I can finally get to view this much anticipated and loved masterpiece.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
Just wanted to add my thanks to Mr. Harris for a magnificent job. I've been obsessed with this movie since watching it with my grandparents and a slew of cousins back in the mid seventies as a young child. And I've spent the last couple of days watching it with my 9yr old son. A nice stroll down memory lane, and im making some new memories. So again, thank you.

Todd J Moore

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Todd Moore
Steve Tannehill said:
No, no, no. They're going to bury his disc under a Big W and send him a note to tell him to go looking for it. He may end up confusing the Big W with Walnuts--in bags!--and not be able to find it sadly.

TylerFitzgerald

Auditioning
Real Name
Kev J. Boycik
New guy here, longtime lurker though.

IAMMMMW is one of my all-time favorite desert island titles. To this day, my mother tells the story of when she was in the hospital suffering through 48+ hours labor with me and it was her fits of laughter from watching this film that brought me into the world.

I had been counting down the days till this new release just like everyone else. When I heard Mr. Harris was invoved I knew I'd be pleased with the final product. I still remember reading an article online years and years ago where someone interviewed Mr. Harris and his attempts to restore the film.

I can't say it enough: I LOVE this release. This new extended version is just fantastic. It's even better than I hoped it would be. Considering the condition of the surviving elements and what they had to work with, I think Mr. Harris and the folks at Criterion did a stellar job. I love having BOTH versions of the film and the special features are wonderful. A lot of people are unhappy with the packaging, but it doesn't bother me at all. The artwork is great and it's a nice-sized package that neatly fits on the shelf.

Many MANY thanks to Mr. Harris and everyone who made this set happen.

Since there seem to be a lot of people here who know the film and it's history much better than I do, I have a couple questions:

*Has it been documented anywhere exactly what is left from the original roadshow release that is missing from this new restoration? I know there's still a few minutes that are missing, but I'm dying to know exactly what happened in those few minutes?

*In the audio commentary during the intermission/police calls, there is discussion of the different versions of IAMMMMW. When they mention the extended laserdisc release, they say it includes the police calls. The laser set I've had all these years does not have the police calls. The first time I've heard those calls was watching this release. Was that a mistake in the commentary or is there a LD release that has the calls? If so, when was that released?

Alrighty then, now I'm gonna go back and make an Old Fashioned the old-fashioned way.......... :D

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
TylerFitzgerald said:
*In the audio commentary during the intermission/police calls, there is discussion of the different versions of IAMMMMW. When they mention the extended laserdisc release, they say it includes the police calls. The laser set I've had all these years does not have the police calls. The first time I've heard those calls was watching this release. Was that a mistake in the commentary or is there a LD release that has the calls? If so, when was that released?
Welcome to the forum. :)

I also own the IAMMMMW extended laserdisc. It does not include the police calls. To my knowledge, the new Blu-ray is the first home video release to include them. But I'll forgive that minor error in an otherwise wonderful, all inclusive commentary. Best I've listened to in many years!

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
MSC77 said:
Help me out, guys. What is the protocol on something like this?I recently posted a link to a MAD WORLD article written for my film history column over at The Digital Bits. (Some of the folks who have posted comments in this thread participated in the article's interview segment, and there's also a breakdown of the movie's original reserved-seat "Cinerama" presentations.) I imagine few of you know about the article because the link seems to have been overlooked given the sheer number of pages this conversation consists of. What do you feel is the best way to handle a situation like this where I have an article on a subject that may be of interest to HTF members? Should I start a fresh thread? Should I post the link in an existing thread on same subject? Should I create a thread just for my column? And how does one take the edge off posting a link to one's own work when some people will dislike what they perceive as a shameless plug or self promotion or whatever else they get hung up on?Anyway, until we can agree on an ideal approach, here's the link:http://www.thedigitalbits.com/columns/history-legacy--showmanship/its-a-mad-mad-mad-mad-retrospective
Thanks Michael! A very engaging and encompassing read!

ponset

Screenwriter
Real Name
scott
Jack P said:
I only recognized the voice of Stacy Harris, frequent member of Jack Webb's stock company of semi-regulars on "Dragnet" on the police calls.
Stacy Harris was also the lead actor for the radio series "THIS IS YOUR FBI".
He played Special Agent Jim Taylor.
Harris can also heard on: SUSPENSE, DRAGNET, FRONTIER GENTLEMAN, GUNSMOKE, CBS RADIO WORKSHOP, and YOURS TRULY JOHNNY DOLLAR.
And many other radio shows.

A BIG THANK YOU to Robert Harris( I assume no relation to Stacy Harris.) and all the other people who worked on this.
Enjoyed watching the long version the other day.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twinkletoes
Recent bookmarks