What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Criterion or Shout Factory should restore David Lynch's Dune (1 Viewer)

sark28

Auditioning
Real Name
Evan Faulkner
It would be great if either Criterion or Shout Factory released an extended version of David Lynch's Dune that restored deleted scenes without any of the terrible editing and additions made in the "Allan Smithee" TV version. I know Lynch refuses to oversee a Final Cut of the film, but the film would benefit greatly from the same kind of reconstruction that Alien 3 received. Universal regularly licenses it's films to Criterion and Shout. Hopefully there are fans of the film at either company that are listening.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I have seen 3 different versions. The original release, the extended TV version, and another version that deleted several scenes from the original release without the "Smithee" additions/cuts. I would like to see a version combining the original version, and a few additional "Smithee" scenes WITHOUT the terrible "drawings" (that look like they just photographed some storyboard pictures and pasted them into the movie). I have all 3 versions by the way. I don't know if there are any other versions floating around out there.

JColl

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
joey c.
If Lynch wants to stay out of it, maybe they should approach Rafaella De Laurentis about it, a new "producer's cut" or whatever.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Here here! Flaved or weird, I don't care. I still love this film. The R1 "extended edition" DVD is pretty good since it has both version and some deleted scenes.But: They should create a proper documentary of this film. I mean something like they did for Alien box set, Blade Runner, Star Wars etc. Could be fascinating.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bromleygarden
Recent bookmarks