What's new

Criterion Blu-ray titles! (2 Viewers)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Wow, On the Waterfront and Sansho backordered already, and I had to hold on until now to order. Lame. Looks like I missed out on this one. Just gonna wait for B&N summer sale I guess.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I was able to complete my Criterion collection today. I ordered just before noon CST and the order was accepted. I only missed out on the blu upgrade of Ivan's Childhood (I already have the SD), so I'll pick it up on the next B&N sale. Thanks, fellow posters!

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Thanks for the tip (well, I thank you--my wallet, not so much). Picked up 39 Steps, The Lady Vanishes, Ride with the Devil, Anatomy of a Murder and Stagecoach. It's been quite the Criterion kick for me lately. Recently grabbed two Chaplins, Man Who Knew Too Much, Thin Red Line and Playtime on BD, plus found Spellbound, Notorious and Rebecca on DVD for reasonable price (have the BDs of the last three but I wanted the extras from the Criterion sets--I don't normally hunt down extras unless they are useful for a class but Hitchcock is my favourite director and I'm always on the lookout for good material on his films).

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm kinda surprised that On the Waterfront is so popular, but then I shouldn't be I guess ha ha. The massive March wave of Criterion was the only wave to show up on Amazon.ca at a decent price before going up to $41 cdn per title so I got all those on pre-order. This all adds up to March being a pretty big Criterion month for me. I think I'm caught up on the titles I really wanted.
Now I need another sale to cover the Repo Man month! Collecting Criterion NEVER ENDS!

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Chas in CT said:
No, it doesn't, but sometimes you get to take a breather.  Not lately, though.
Not if you collect every spine lol. I just did another order for 3 more - was going to get Sansho but it's gone so I got Summer Interlude, Summer with Monika and Bottle Rocket. Will be a nice day when I only have to keep up with new ones lol

Richard M S

Screenwriter
Oh bummer, I missed out on ON THE WATERFRONT and THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH. I will wait until the B and N summer sale to place an order, any savings would be taken by the shipping costs since my order would otherwise not exceed $50.

Derrick King

Screenwriter
Confirmation that Janus Films/Criterion has THE BROOD (and even though it isn't mentioned, SCANNERS)
She just finished watching a recent Janus acquisition, David Cronenberg’s early horror masterpiece The Brood — she had to angle her laptop on a recent flight so it wouldn’t disturb the attendants — and helped arrange the uploading of Janus’ 800-film collection to Hulu Plus.
That article also mentions that Janus is working on a Jacques Demy retrospective

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
In reading that they seemed careful to word it so as not to say that Umbrellas was one of the titles, just using it to identify the director...

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I'm curious. Does Janus, which distributes to multiple avenues (theatrical, broadcast, and home-video) acquiring a title, mean that Criterion has the rights to sell the DVD/Blu-Ray? I thought Janus was the parent company, and Criterion was one arm of the company. Are there cases where Janus has certain rights but not all rights? David

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
David Weicker said:
I'm curious. Does Janus, which distributes to multiple avenues (theatrical, broadcast, and home-video) acquiring a title, mean that Criterion has the rights to sell the DVD/Blu-Ray? I thought Janus was the parent company, and Criterion was one arm of the company. Are there cases where Janus has certain rights but not all rights? David
Typically Janis has complete control of what they have in their catalog. It's just that back in the VHS and laser days they used to sublicense to other companies like Embassy, Kino, and even Sony to get their stuff out.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Gents, As our site will be moving for the next few days, we will not be posting the Criterion Press Releases that usually arrive today. Most likely those press releases will go up Sunday or Monday. In the meantime, you can find out what Criterion will be announcing today directly from their website.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
wacky_map.jpg

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frances_Ha
My thought was something like "The Mouse That Roared" with all of Europe laughing at them, but that's pretty weak.
Where did you hear Frances Ha? Doesn't Criterion usually take longer with "new" releases, something like this film that is just coming out of festivals shouldn't be on CC until 2014 at the soonest.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks