Criterion Blu-ray titles!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Brandon Conway, May 7, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Michael Harris

Michael Harris Screenwriter

I like the fact they are releasing in the Fall, which is when I plan on buying a BD player. Sweet.

2. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

THE THIRD MAN on BD? [​IMG]
    Great news! Hopefully Criterion releases the Powell/Pressburger films on BD, along with THIEF OF BAGDAD. Those Technicolor films will look spectacular in high def.

3. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

This is good news indeed. Although I already have some of these titles and I swore not to double dip, I still may have to get the HD versions of For All Mankind and The Last Emperor, the first because of the stunning views of space and the second because I’m not that happy with the quality of my R4 SD version. I’m tempted to get a second copy of Walkabout, but if Criterion releases titles that I don’t already have fast enough, I’ll be able to hold out.

No plans to replace:

The Third Man

•The 400 Blows
    (already have 2 copies)

Gimme Shelter

•The Complete Monterey Pop

•Contempt

•The Wages of Fear

OHOH, a BD release of In the Mood for Love would be an immediate pickup.

Right now I’m just pleased that I quit buying any more DVDs several years ago—and I extremely glad I resisted the temptation to become one of the complete Criterion collectors.

I agree with Martin as to El Norte

With luck I can extend this to the BD Criterions as well.

4. SAhmed

SAhmed Second Unit

Shakeel
    Count me in on at least triple dipping "The Third Man" and "Wages Of Fear". Glad I held out on "The Last Emperor".

I may eventually double dip on some of the titles mentioned by folks above.

Time for a third mortgage ?

5. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

For All Mankind looks like a must for me. I hope the producers of In the Shadow of the Moon will pick up the same cue.

6. Greg Layton

Greg Layton Second Unit

This is great news. I'll go ahead another name out there too... I'd like to see Night and the City in BD.

7. Danny_N

Danny_N Second Unit

Great, great news. I have no problem triple dipping on movies like The Third Man and Wages Of Fear. And I can't wait to see Contempt in 1080p. Very happy.

8. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

9. Jeff Robertson

Jeff Robertson Second Unit

Jeff Robertson
    Sooooo.....I wonder what packaging they will use. Somehow the blue plastic just doesn't seem fitting for a Criterion disc.

10. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    In my case, the no-buy decision was made on the SD version because it was SD (post #10 in the other thread [​IMG] ), so I never had to actually *make* the decision based on the cropping!
    Frankly, if the director and cinematographer are OK with it, then I'll probably be OK with it too. It's been so many years since I've seen the film, I doubt I'd really notice.

11. Craig Beam

Craig Beam Screenwriter

Craig Beam
    I'm more than a bit surprised that no Bergman or Kurosawa titles are present on that list, but the inclusion of THE THIRD MAN, being one of my all-time favorite films, thrills me to no end.
    Hopefully the following will get the Blu treatment in 2009...
    Seven Samurai
    Throne of Blood
    Rashomon
    The Seventh Seal
    Wild Strawberries
    The Virgin Spring
    Naked Lunch
    The Orphic Trilogy
    ...and hell, I'll just throw this out there: The Beastie Boys Video Anthology. [​IMG]

12. Jari K

Jari K Producer

**...and they will be priced to match our standard-def editions.**

Damn, this sounds promising indeed. Of course, these Criterion-titles are not exactly cheap (e.g. "3rd Man" SD DVD is $34.99 in Amazon), so this was probably the only real option for the company (to keep the prices at least "decent").

Criterion really kept their promise. They promised "HD-titles" when we have "one winner" in the war. This is big news for the whole BR-format.

13. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

I saw In the Shadow… theatrically. I actually considered getting into HD-DVD just for that disc, but as very late release there was some question whether it would actually appear (I'm actually somewhat surprised it wasn't cancelled). If they accepted the argument for High Definition in the first place, we can hope they will be willing to reissue on the (potentially) successful format.

14. brap

brap Stunt Coordinator

Alisdair Edwards
    More than likely they won't. The DVD's share the LD spine #'s. I doubt they will change the trend. It would be nice though because they no longer have control of many titles.

15. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

I know this will sound sacrilege (because believe me I'm a big Criterion fan, I have plenty of their discs in my collection), but I hope they "do it right" the first time.

I remember their first DVDs were non-anamorphic and I think a few were LD master ports. I'm hoping that from the very beginning their BDs are of high quality, A/V and extras wise.

I'm rooting for them, and I'm glad they're on the Blu train, but I'm going to wait until some reviews roll in before buying their initial BD product.

16. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    IIRC, most footage in For All Mankind was shot on 16mm, so I wonder how much of an improvement we'll see on BD?
    Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love this. Just wondering about the technical limitations, is all. And if there is an improvement, yes I'll double-dip.

17. JoshB

JoshB Supporting Actor

Joshua Bal
    They just updated their site to reflect the upcoming titles...

Realy looking to see if they will do Battle of Algiers soon...perhaps one of their best, if not the best that Criterion ever did...Bottle Rocket sounds awesome, I hope Anderson's other 3 titles follow shortly.

Criterion looks to end 2008 with a bang...

18. zackscott5

zackscott5 Stunt Coordinator

I'm so glad that I held off for so long buying the new Brazil release by Criterion. Hopefully it will come out on Blu soon. I lloked on the back of the new release and it says High def transfer (as does Naked Lunch a new favorite of mine). This is excellent news.

19. Jari K

Jari K Producer

Well, 1080p doubles the resolution vs. SD DVD, so yes, it´ll look better.
    I don´t know about the "native resolution" etc of 16 mm vs SD DVD (480 - NTSC/576 - PAL), though..

20. Ray_R

Ray_R Screenwriter

Since I enjoy making lists, here's one of Criterions releases from SD which I'd buy on BD. Well, with a low purchase price of course.[​IMG]
    Rasomon
    Seven Samurai
    Throne of Blood
    The Hidden Fortress
    Red Beard
    Ikiru
    The Bad Sleep Well
    Ugetsu
    Kagemusha
    RAN
    Yojimbo
    Sanjuro