What's new

Criterion Blu-ray titles! (1 Viewer)

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
On a side note, DVDBeaver just posted the review for "The Thief of Baghdad." from Criterion on their site.
Great news is that IT IS NOT pictureboxed!!!!
From the review, it looks liek the picture quality and supplements are, as usual, superb and in-depth. check it out! :D
The Thief of Bagdad - Criterion Collection

Viper

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Fisk
If they were smart, they'd release Armageddon. Buena Vista/Disney already dropped the goddamn ball there, as far as I'm concerned. There's too many super hits that are being ignored for no good reason, especially now that the format war is over.

troy evans

Screenwriter
Viper said:
There's too many super hits that are being ignored for no good reason, especially now that the format war is over.
Couldn't agree more. I don't mind waiting for Criterion releases though, because the quality of presentation and content blows other studios away.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
September's Sound & Vision Magazine has a nice in-depth article and interview on Criterion's Blu-ray plans. The online version is here:
Sound & Vision Magazine - Criterion Remastered
Here's the interview portion (although I suggest everyone check out the rest of the article):
Our idea has always been that the content needs to be well produced and well served. Where the bells and whistles of the medium help us to do that, we'll use them. We're interested in some of the ways Blu-ray offers us to annotate the movies and to update our releases. The online component is very interesting to us, but beyond that, there's nothing that has caused a eureka moment with these first editions.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
One of the potential "benefits" of Criterion sitting on the sidelines, one hopes, is that now a lot of the perils of DNR/EE/Grain removal are now being discussed. Let's hope that Criterion's been reading/listening and when they begin producing BDs they are able to avoid the pitfalls that other companies have fallen into with regards to using [or rather, overusing] those tools.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Thanks for posting this. It is a pretty interesting read and I am really looking forward to Criterion's first Blu releases. I too think black and white looks gorgeous in HD and look forward to having more titles available.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
It's good to see Criterion taking the inclusion of Blu-Ray seriously by ensuring the actual film is respected.

And black and white films can look unbelievably gorgeous in HD. I can only imagine how incredible Fellini's 8 1/2 will look.

It might be tough with a slow rollout of 1 or 2 movies a month, but if the right films are used - it makes it much easier to handle. Really looking forward to their BD release of foreign films as the BD catalog of titles out now is very lacking in this regard.

Martin Teller

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Teller
Jesse Blacklow said:
The only timeframe we've been given is the month of October for the initial releases.
Actually, it was pushed back to November.
I suspect that details about the first batch will be released late tomorrow. They usually do new announcements on the 15th.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Someone e-mailed "Jon Mulvaney" and he replied that the blu-ray releases were being pushed back to November.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
That's too bad, but the wait won't kill me and the way this fall is stacking up with discs I want to purchase I may need the time to come up with a money-making scheme.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
The first five are up on Criterion's site. Sad to see that The Third Man, The Man Who Fell to Earth and The Last Emperor have all had supplements trimmed compared to their DVD counterparts (though mostly in the form of booklets).

Kris Z.

Stunt Coordinator
None of the titles I was interested in. But it looks like they may be releasing them in the order of the list in the original announcement, so maybe The 400 Blows will be in the next batch.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Good to finally see the long-rumored Criterion release of Bottle Rocket coming on both BD & SD.
But... no spine numbers for the Blu titles??? What's up with that??

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Jon Robertson said:
have all had supplements trimmed compared to their DVD counterparts (though mostly in the form of booklets).
And there's the confirmation (of what we already knew would likely be the case) that TLE's aspect ration on the Criterion BD is 2:1. :frowning:
:thumbsdown:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks