What's new

Criterion Blu-ray titles! (1 Viewer)

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
It's not like they have "slots" that get filled and then no more releases. With the DF move the very most popular titles will be moving to DF releases when their print runs get low and need to be re-pressed, this just gets announced during new releases but doesn't impact the amount of titles released or not.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Lord Dalek said:
Lousy month. Since 400 Blows is neither out of print or unavailable on blu, one wonders the point of wasting a slot on it.

Also... Von Trier... eeech.
The 400 Blows blu-ray has actually been OOP for a few months. Most expected a dual-format repackaging sometime this year. I don't think it would be an issue if there were other true upgrades alongside it (like when Breathless got announced for Feb). But the lack of any other upgrades makes it stick out.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
I love BREAKING THE WAVES but that was finished at SD resolution.

EDIT: The Criterion page for BtW says it's a "4K restoration". I wonder if they've gone back to the Super-35 negative instead of the processed film-out that's been used for every other video release (as well as the 35mm prints)?

Vincent

Greg4

Grip
Real Name
Greg
Brandon Conway said:
The 400 Blows blu-ray has actually been OOP for a few months. Most expected a dual-format repackaging sometime this year. I don't think it would be an issue if there were other true upgrades alongside it (like when Breathless got announced for Feb). But the lack of any other upgrades makes it stick out.
But it was out of print so they can put out a dual format. Just wanted to point that out so it doesn't seem like they are upgrading something here. It's just slapping the dvd disc and blu-ray disc together.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
It was OOP because it sold out, and then they printed a new run for dual format packaging rather than reprint the separate versions. Just like Breathless.In other words: were both saying the same thing in roundabout opposite ways.Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk

Greg4

Grip
Real Name
Greg
Brandon Conway said:
It was OOP because it sold out, and then they printed a new run for dual format packaging rather than reprint the separate versions. Just like Breathless.In other words: were both saying the same thing in roundabout opposite ways.Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk
I'm just wondering if these repackages are taking away release slots for true upgrades, because take this away from these announcements (which you should IMO) and you just have 4 releases. Seems light.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
At most they add a little time to do DVD versions of the menus on the newly pressed DVD disc(s). But that's pretty minimal.They've had months with just four releases before. IIRC the month that 3:10 to Yuma and Jubal were released was similarly light. I always assume that a release got pushed close to announcement day and the next month will make up for it.Personally, I'm not buying anything until the July B&N sale so it's no big deal to me.Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
The April releases don't do anything for me either which is quite alright. I've got plenty to watch and need the break.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Moe Dickstein said:
Even SD films and TV can benefit from the lack of compression on Blu.I'm very curious as to how they gathered this image too
True, but to do a 4K scan of that SD-quality film out? That wouldn't make much sense.

Regardless, I'll get the Blu-ray. I still have my Criterion LD :)

Vincent

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I'd guess/hope that they went back to the camera negatives and LVT put some sort of new processing on it that would give his video look but be higher resolution. In a way this would be a superior, yet still "degraded" result. Even a new scan of the theatrical neg (the film out after the video step) would still be an improvement. I'm still looking for that LD to complete my set. Saw the film in theaters at the time

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
This is may be a bit off the topic of the moment, but is Criterion currently licensing Warner titles? (Unfortunately, I don't have time enough to stay up on everything). If so (and unless Warner is waiting for another special occasion), I have a tiny but persistent suspicion that we could actually have ourselves a definitive Criterion of "2001: A Space Odyssey" at some point in the near future. The reason I think this - I do not have this on any kind of authority, good or lesser, just to be clear - is 1) the current Blu has been out for nearly seven years now. 2) Warner apparently missed the 45th anniversary window - which makes me wonder if they even plan to reissue it on Blu-ray under their own banner. 3) For what it's worth, Criterion is about the best there is in the home video world. Warner as well as the Kubrick estate must know that Criterion would more than do right by the film. I wouldn't keep my fingers crossed just yet (don't want them to go numb waiting, of course), but there's nothing wrong with flexing them just a little bit now and again :).
If Criterion should not land this (I would think they would certainly do so if they could), I would be happy to settle for another longtime favorite: "Stand And Deliver", should TCC ever pick it up.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Warners has only licensed 1 title - Badlands, and it's not totally certain that they fully owned it or just gave their blessing.if you want a Criterion 2001, pick up a Laserdisc player, they already put it out back in the day.

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
Moe Dickstein said:
Warners has only licensed 1 title - Badlands, and it's not totally certain that they fully owned it or just gave their blessing.if you want a Criterion 2001, pick up a Laserdisc player, they already put it out back in the day.
Thanks, didn't realise that. Will have to look into it.

Martin_Teller

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Teller
Sorpasso, Riot and BtW are all movies that I really like, but have no desire to own. Master of the House will be a rental. 400 Blows is a dumb repackaging... where the hell is the box set on Blu?

I think a lot of HTFers would enjoy Il Sorpasso, until they're entirely opposed to non-English movies.

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
Tom St Jones said:
Thanks, didn't realise that. Will have to look into it.
I don't own a laserdisc player at this time, but may have to get one at some point soonish, as there's always something that's not yet on Blu-ray/DVD, but that has been issued on LD. "2001" may be the incentive that does it, although I'd be surprised if even the Criterion LD was anamorphic. Certainly not modern HD. I love the current Blu-ray, but let's face it, many of us would be more-than slightly thrilled to see what Criterion would turn out on a 4k or 8k-remastered Blu-ray in 2014/ 2015, should that be in the cards.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Except for a couple Japanese experimental titles NO Laserdiscs are anamorphic.The Criterion 2001 would be interesting for the extras and the packaging. Watch the blu-ray if you want to see it at its best.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks