What's new

Criterion Blu-ray titles! (1 Viewer)

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
The old LD extras on Tootsie are outstanding, and when you bring in the new materials from the DVD, it's going to be an awesome package.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I haven't really kept up with this thread but has Criterion ever issued a statement regarding the awful release of Les Enfants Du Paradis. ?

Obviously their hands were tied and the restoration was carried out by Pathe but i am surprised Criterion released it, i was reading a good article on film restoration at the link below and came across the mention of this title.

http://somecamerunning.typepad.com/some_came_running/2013/03/film-restoration-in-the-digital-domain-a-chat-with-james-white.html

From the above article.

So in a nutshell, my criterion is to represent the film in as close an approximation to how it originally appeared on screens as possible. More than being just a technical preference though, I view it as a true responsibility that I wish everyone would take very seriously. Which is why I'm disappointed when Gaumont Pathe chooses to apply a headache-inducing level of de-graining to Les Enfants du Paradis.

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
I would think that whoever holds the rights (Marimax, Lionsgate or Disney. One of these, I believe) would prefer not to license out "A Hard Day's Night", so that they could release their own 50th anniversary edition (in regular BD/DVD and super collector's edition set) to the general marketplace, like UMG/Apple did with the "Yellow Submarine" and "Magical Mystery Tour" Blu-rays. Plus Criterion releases, even their single-disc Blu-rays or DVDs, are usually a little more expensive than ordinary releases from the other studios. And let's face it, we're talking about THE BEATLES here..
But if Criterion were to release AHDN this year, along with some of those other speculated-on titles, that sound you hear will likely be my wallet crying "Help!" (sorry, couldn't resist) :)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
From what I understand the Miramax distribution deal for AHDN is no longer applicable, which is how Criterion picked it up.

As for being pricey - just wait to pick it up at the Barnes and Noble 50% off sale in July or November that occurs every year for $20 (assuming it will be a $40 MSRP). That's what I've resorted to doing the last couple years.

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
Brandon Conway said:
From what I understand the Miramax distribution deal for AHDN is no longer applicable, which is how Criterion picked it up.

As for being pricey - just wait to pick it up at the Barnes and Noble 50% off sale in July or November that occurs every year for $20 (assuming it will be a $40 MSRP). That's what I've resorted to doing the last couple years.
Although I am on a little bit of a budget myself, I was actually referring to the general public rather than myself personally. I would think that those who control the rights and licensing would have wanted to distribute it in a more "mainstream" fashion (how often do you see Criterions at Walmart or Best Buy?), along with tons of publicity and fanfare. I think this would also increase the likelihood that a more budget-friendly single/double-disc Blu and/or DVD would be made available in addition to a potential deluxe box set. I understand now about how Criterion would have picked it up. More-than makes sense. And I can hardly wait for the next B&N half-off sale. If only, say, DeepDiscount were to have a Buy1Get1 some time soon, that would be SO nice. One can dream. :>]

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
just so you know, I've edited my last post a bit for improvement and to enhance my point. I had originally written it while on the fly. Yes, Beatles fans will find it one way or another. For record stores, especially, it's obviously an important release.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
If AHDN does come out on Criterion, I won't be waiting for the Barnes and Noble half-price sale given their abysmal performance. I ordered 'To Be Or Not to Be' and 'Eyes Without a Face' at the start of November. 'To Be Or NOt to Be' hasn't even been despatched yet, while'Eyes Without a Face' was sent about 10 days before Christmas (with the full postage for both items charged) and has still to arrive.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
AnthonyClarke said:
I ordered 'To Be Or Not to Be' and 'Eyes Without a Face' at the start of November. 'To Be Or NOt to Be' hasn't even been despatched yet
Call them up. I had an order that I ordered during a Novermber 2012 B&N sale that never shipped until February the next year. It was an obscure Eclipse set that shouldn't have had any problem being in stock. It turns out my order was just being entirely ignored by their online processing, and it only got shipped after I called them up in February and had them manually resubmit the order for processing.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Yes, done that ... got onto a very helpful person about three weeks ago who said he'd phone the warehouse to get them to expedite the order. Maybe that's why 'Eyes Witout a Face' apparently entered the postal system.
I'll try direct chate again in a week or so.....

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
April titles posted!

400 Blows (I think this is just a duel pack re-release)

Breaking the Waves

Master of the House (Dweyer)

Riot in Cell Block 11

Il Sorpasso

I'm in for Waves and Riot. On the fence with the Dweyer since I never heard of it.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Lousy month. Since 400 Blows is neither out of print or unavailable on blu, one wonders the point of wasting a slot on it.

Also... Von Trier... eeech.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Luckily for me, or rather my wallet, none of these are must-haves. Very relieved, as Criterion has been draining me dry over the last several months!

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
No kidding. I don't even know those films except for the Truffaut, and I already have that Blu-ray. Doesn't mean the others aren't worthy, but man, after the past few months, my ignorance can provide a needed break here.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks