What's new

CPO Sharkey ... am I the only one who remembers this one? (1 Viewer)

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
When I first heard this was being released, I wondered if the episodes might have some edits for the PC police. I am also slightly concerned about getting a second season release because - if someone gets offended by the season 1 release . . . well, I just hope I'm *wrong* about being concerned.

A complete series release would have been the better way to go for more than one reason.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Jack P said:
I got it yesterday. I'm still perplexed as to why they didn't just go for a complete series set in one release since S1 is just 15 episodes and is five episode per disc. At any rate, the videotapes look good and the bonus clip of the Carson barges in on the Sharkey set is terrific even if one is a Carson buff who has this from old anniversary shows or who has the uncut episode from the Carson vault where this happened. The reason is because this three and a half minute clip lets you see more of the incident from the cameras on the Sharkey set as opposed to the camera that followed Johnny from his set and was out in the hallway. I have seen this clip dozens of times over the years but for the first time I was hearing things from Rickles that had been inaudible over the Tonight cameras and for the first time I saw Carson's exit from the Sharkey set camera angle and Rickles turning back and going "What do we do now?" For Carson buffs alone who don't even remember the show in general, they *need* to get this just for the clip alone!

The one silly thing is this stupid disclaimer on the packaging. "Warning-Some of the jokes and ethnic references heard in these episodes would most likely not be allowed on network TV today and reflect the tenor of the times." Someday I would like to see a warning label about the stupid obsession with political correctness for things made in THIS time!
Don't wanna get too political but I'd love to see a disclaimer years from now on sitcom releases from the 90's to present stating - We are sorry if some of the stereotypes of men as husbands and fathers "who are mindless idiots who need to need to have their every move instructed to them by their all knowing and wise wives" offends some of our viewers, but it was a function of it's era.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
One of the episodes is from a syndicated print, with a disclaimer that some "hockey puck" misplaced the uncut master. The episodes look fine for videotape of the era. They aren't ever going to look any better, even if this isn't the release you would want to use to show off your new TV's capabilities.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I'm glad to hear the video looks decent - I remember the show was on videotape - have been hoping for the best with that. Thanks for the report FanCollector.

I received the set last week, but I'm currently watching Science Fiction Theatre and haven't had a chance to check out Sharkey. :)

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
FanCollector said:
One of the episodes is from a syndicated print, with a disclaimer that some "hockey puck" misplaced the uncut master. The episodes look fine for videotape of the era. They aren't ever going to look any better, even if this isn't the release you would want to use to show off your new TV's capabilities.

I've watched the first four episodes. The second episode has no disclaimer and runs only 22:00. The third episode has the "hockey puck" disclaimer and runs about 22:30. Episodes one and four run about 25 minutes or more.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Nothing looks better than 2-inch color videotape. So glad they didn't make it look like a crappy kinescope like was done to the Joan Rivers Show release. Morons.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Jack P said:
I
The one silly thing is this stupid disclaimer on the packaging. "Warning-Some of the jokes and ethnic references heard in these episodes would most likely not be allowed on network TV today and reflect the tenor of the times." Someday I would like to see a warning label about the stupid obsession with political correctness for things made in THIS time!
Strongly Agreed! But at least we get this release.

I wish a certain studio ( Disney ) would do something like this with a certain classic title (related to a certain water flume ride at its theme parks) and release it on Blu.

Now to go cart CPO Sharkey on Amazon.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Kyrsten Brad said:
I wish a certain studio ( Disney ) would do something like this with a certain classic title (related to a certain water flume ride at its theme parks) and release it on Blu.

That's appropriate considering how in the pilot episode, Sharkey goes, "Zip-a-dee-dooh-dah!" at one point. :D

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Been watching the episodes and Rickles is never not funny. The one where his co-worker mistakenly fixes him up with a black chick, I nearly fell off my couch from laughing so hard and Rickles didn't even speak, just his facial expressions. Would love to see someone take a chance on his ABC show (tapes likely gone but kines exist), his self-titled CBS sitcom or Daddy Dearest. Anything he did was funny.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
It was obvious though that they never could come up for anything for Elizabeth Allen to do on the show after establishing the gimmick of a female CO. She ultimately appeared very little over the course of the season and was replaced in Season 2 by Richard X. Slattery who was a more appropriate foil for Sharkey as a blustering CO type who could bawl him out.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Yes, I'm loving watching this show again...Rickles is just damn funny and elicits just as many laughs with his facial contortions...I mean, I just howl at the image of Pruitt's shadow looming over Don's sweaty comb over...is that just me? I don't think so...

but I'm one of those guys who would buy a whole season boxset of some show just because I know the great Rickles is a guest star in one episode...and, I'd be glad to spend four and a half hours in a stalled elevator with him...that would make me the hockey puck...ha, ha...

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Watched the first episode last night. Not as many laughs as I'd hoped for, but still a couple of big guffaws and I'd watch Rickles just sit there for 24 minutes, so it's all good. I also say bring on Season 2!

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I remember it because Johnny Carson interrupted Don Rickles taping an episode.of this series. Rickles, the night before, was a guest on the Tonight Show, and, fooling around with guest host Bob Newheart, broke Carson's cigar box. So Carson got his revenge the next day!

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
battlebeast said:
I remember it because Johnny Carson interrupted Don Rickles taping an episode.of this series. Rickles, the night before, was a guest on the Tonight Show, and, fooling around with guest host Bob Newheart, broke Carson's cigar box. So Carson got his revenge the next day!
This clip is an extra on the S1 set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks