What's new

CPO Sharkey ... am I the only one who remembers this one? (1 Viewer)

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Heck, If they are going to start bringing out 70's short lived sitcoms.... I say bring on Holmes and YoYo. LOL.

clambake

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jamie
Frank Soyke said:
Heck, If they are going to start bringing out 70's short lived sitcoms.... I say bring on Holmes and YoYo. LOL.

Haha I love this thread, it has both a John Schuck and Melinda Naud reference!

Cool news about CPO Sharkey, that's a nice surprise.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
This is a surprise. I remember this show and liked it. It would have been nice to see the entire series released - I just hope we see a second season release.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I think some people would prefer Rickles's earlier series, which I never saw, but I recall this one and am glad it will be released. My guess for the odd decision to offer only season 1 first is to keep the price down at Walmart figuring most people won't remember this one. Personally, I think that strategy would be better pursued if a complete series was available simultaneously online.

Wvtvguy

Second Unit
Real Name
Marc
I only remember seeing this once as a kid. It was during a blizzard around 78. That's why I remember it I think. Lol.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
I want this as soon as possible...thus, I have it pre-ordered. The great man himself celebrates his 89th birthday on May 8th...I've never had a problem remembering Don Rickles birthday...the same day as my Dear Mother...and she hated the idea of sharing her birthday with him...she couldn't stand him...her son felt otherwise, of course.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
I saw two or three episodes of this series taped at NBC in Burbank in 1977 or 1978,

so I wouldn't mind revisiting the show, but I don't like buying something if I can't be

assured the entire series will be available.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Ironically, my wife and I were just discussing this show the other day! CPO SHARKEY is a service comedy that I have some fond memories of. Don Rickle's hilarious "Beaver" Face whenever his Chief Petty Officer character got steamed (Usually because of Seaman Pruitt, as I recall!) has been forever etched in my memory!

I never thought that this mid 1970's comedy gem would ever see light of day, so this is a very nice surprise!

CHEERS! :)

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
So, did anybody here buy Season 1 yet? I totally forgot this was coming out and I'd like to know what the video quality is like.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Mr. Handley said:
So, did anybody here buy Season 1 yet? I totally forgot this was coming out and I'd like to know how what the video quality is like.
I forgot too. I just ordered it and will post impressions if no one does beforehand.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I got it yesterday. I'm still perplexed as to why they didn't just go for a complete series set in one release since S1 is just 15 episodes and is five episode per disc. At any rate, the videotapes look good and the bonus clip of the Carson barges in on the Sharkey set is terrific even if one is a Carson buff who has this from old anniversary shows or who has the uncut episode from the Carson vault where this happened. The reason is because this three and a half minute clip lets you see more of the incident from the cameras on the Sharkey set as opposed to the camera that followed Johnny from his set and was out in the hallway. I have seen this clip dozens of times over the years but for the first time I was hearing things from Rickles that had been inaudible over the Tonight cameras and for the first time I saw Carson's exit from the Sharkey set camera angle and Rickles turning back and going "What do we do now?" For Carson buffs alone who don't even remember the show in general, they *need* to get this just for the clip alone!

The one silly thing is this stupid disclaimer on the packaging. "Warning-Some of the jokes and ethnic references heard in these episodes would most likely not be allowed on network TV today and reflect the tenor of the times." Someday I would like to see a warning label about the stupid obsession with political correctness for things made in THIS time!

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I remember this show , but recall being indifferent to it . I may give it a shot on DVD.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Jack P said:
The one silly thing is this stupid disclaimer on the packaging. "Warning-Some of the jokes and ethnic references heard in these episodes would most likely not be allowed on network TV today and reflect the tenor of the times."
Buncha hockey pucks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks