What's new

Connecting cable box to TV & receiver (1 Viewer)

Christian.A

Auditioning
Okay, basic question. Currently I have my cable box hooked to my HDTV with component cables. I'm going to be adding my receiver to the mix. Do I need to keep the box connected to the TV with components and then add another component connection between the TV and receiver?

Thanks...

John S

Senior HTF Member
Well, there is no real set way....

The video purists will tell you it is way best to make all connection directly from every device to the Display.

Now, for ease of use, as much as anything, I am connecting all my component video devices to my AVR, and one connection out from the AVR to the Display.

Your choice really....

Tim K

Second Unit
As John said it is really a preference based on your situation. Some people think that the more equipment you run a signal through the more it is degraded or leaves room for interference, etc. Others claim that is not true. Most of us wouldn't see a difference either way.

What it comes down to is your particular situation. There are advantages and disadvantages to running everything through your receiver.

Pros:
1) If you use a receiver as a switcher it is one less step you have to take when switching from TV to DVD watching. You only need to change the input on your receiver as opposed to also switching your TV input.

2) If you have alot of components and not enough inputs on your TV, you may HAVE to use your receiver as a video switcher or buy a seperate switcher.

Cons:
1) You have to buy one extra set of cables for every signal format you are using (component S-video etc). Not a big deal, but a few extra bucks nonetheless.

2) Since you are watching all of your video on the same TV input you cannot have different display settings for each type of viewing. I have VERY different picture settings for my HDTV and Standard TV inputs, and different again from my DVD inputs. With video switchers you'll have to pick one happy medium and stick with it.

3) Not all receivers can switch HD feeds...they don't all handle the extra bandwidth required. Check your specs before you decide on using your receiver as a switch.

Personally, I didn't want to buy extra cables and didn't want to get stuck with one default picture setting so I do not run video through my receiver (plus it isn't HD capable). Since my remote control has macros and discrete input codes I don't have to worry about switching inputs on multiple devices....the remote does it for me.

Christian.A

Auditioning
Thanks, John & Tim -- I appreciate the input.

If I understand you correctly, I can simply keep the component connection between the TV and cable box. But I still need to get the sound to the receiver. Would I use an optical/S-video connection running from the cable box or TV to the receiver?

John S

Senior HTF Member
Only make the auio connection.. Optical / TosLink is fine as long as the cable box fully supports digital audio output.

Tim K

Second Unit
Depends on whether you ever want to listen to audio out of the TV's speakers or only out of the receiver. I don't even have my TV's speakers turned on. My audio all runs through my receiver.

Like John said, just run digital audio OUT from your Cable Box to your receiver. It depends on the output type your cable box offers. Mine only offers digital coax output. If you ever plan to use your TV speakers simply hook up a set of RCA (red and white) cables from your cable box to the TV as well.

As for the video portion....well that also depends. I have Component cables hooked up from cable box to TV-1 for the HDTV feed and S-video hooked up from the cable box to the TV-2 for standard video feed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks