What's new

Concerned about purchasing a Mitsubishi (1 Viewer)

Rakesh.S

Second Unit
i'm planning on getting a ws-55511..but there's no DVI..how much of a factor is this going to be?

and does anyone happen to know what mitsubishi's "promise modules" have to say about this? i.e. how much will it cost to upgrade to DVI if it becomes the standard?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
Rakesh:
I'm by no means an expert on projection TVs, but there has been much discussion about this at www.hometheaterspot.com
Mitsubishi has no plans to add DVI to its RPTVs. I believe the promise module is related to firewire, an alternative pass-through technology that, at this time, Mitsubishi is sticking with.
I'm sure there are many more folks here who can provide a more thorough explanation.
Regards

Kevin_Kr

Supporting Actor
If you actually look at what the promise module it actuallly does not include integrated sets like the 511.

Scott Tucker

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin is correct. The promise module is mainly designed for the non-integrated sets. I saw a module at a Mits training and it did not have a DVI input. The module is about the size of a DVD player, and attaches to the back of the tv. The module has a HDTV tuner, some firewire inputs and i think a slot for a flash memory card for future upgrades to the software. The Mits trainers don't even want to talk about DVI, and almost get angry when you bring it up. The Mits is a great tv, and i wouldn't worry too much about the whole DVI thing because if it does become the standard you will always have your component inputs to view high def.

Scott

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
The module has a HDTV tuner, some firewire inputs and i think a slot for a flash memory card for future upgrades to the software.
It's going to add a HDTV tuner to non-integrated sets? Hmm. I might want firewire, but don't really want another outboard tuner - already have a STB. Isn't the cost like $500, or has that changed?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks