What's new

Replacing my old receiver (1 Viewer)

christh0mas

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
I currently have a Pioneer VSX-1015TX and I've always been happy with its performance. The only thing that I don't like about it is that it lacks HDMI ports and with the new gaming consoles just around the corner, I have decided that my receiver is going to need to be replaced first. I have an HDMI to component adapter that I run my Apple TV through but I'm tired of dealing with all of the component stuff and want to just bite the bullet and get a receiver with HDMI ports. In addition to the Apple TV, the receiver also has my FIOS cable box, XBox360, Mitsubishi DLP, and Klipsch 5.1 speaker system attached to it. I don't believe my TV has HDMI on it either so my new receiver will need to output to component. My family room where all of this stuff is is pretty small, measuring about 15 x 20. So far, I am considering the following receivers:

Pioneer Elite VSX-43
Yamaha RX-V475
Onkyo TX-NR525
Onkyo TX-NR414.

The one thing that concerns me about these is that my old receiver had an output of about 120W per channel if I remember right and these other receivers that I'm looking at are all between 80 and 115 W. Do you think I'll notice much difference dropping down to something like that? I don't foresee myself ever installing 7.1 in my family room so I don't know if it's worth getting a receiver that does that. Some features that I am interested in are internet radio/Pandora support, iPod/iPhone integration and component output. I guess 5 or 6 HDMI input ports should do the trick.

If anyone has some recommendations or advice for me, it would be appreciated. Oh yeah, I'm really trying to stay around $500 for this purchase.

Thanks in advance.
-Chris

christh0mas

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
I'm confused. The receivers I mentioned above all have component out. My TV won't work if I plug it in there?

Sorry, I'm quite a noob with this stuff.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Basically you "can't" hook up HDMI and exit an AVR component.There are ways to go HDMI to your TV(if it doesn't have DVI), but we don't discuss those ways on this forum.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
christh0mas said:
I'm confused. The receivers I mentioned above all have component out. My TV won't work if I plug it in there?

You can't send a video signal "in" to the receiver (virtually any receiver) via hdmi and back out again via component connection. That's the "down-conversion" Sam spoke of which is un-available due to copywright protection. If you Mits DLP has the DVI input there are hdmi to dvi converter cables which will pass the video signal to your display.

The model number of the Mits DLP would be a big help.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
christh0mas said:

Component out from the receiver will work ONLY for devices connected to the receiver via component connections.

You can't connect devices to the receiver using HDMI then expect the receiver to output those signals over component. That conversion of digital to analog would require all the copy protection that is applied to the digital signal to be removed. Every entity upstream of the consumer won't let that happen.

The reverse, however, WILL work if you have a receiver that will upconvert analog signals to output over HDMI.

christh0mas

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
OK, it's a Mitsubishi WD-52525 and it looks like it does have a single HDMI input. Phew.

So, can you all recommend a good receiver in my price range?

Thanks!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
You're going to need something with HDMI video up-conversion so that's going to be a model or two above what you previously listed.

I'd get a factory refurbished receiver from ac4l.com and a 3 ($35) or 5 ($50) year extended warranty like the

Yamaha A720 ($399) http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/YAMRXA720BL/YAMAHA-RX-A720-7.2-Channel-Network-AVENTAGE-AV-Receiver/1.html

Denon 2312 ($399) http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR2312CI/DENON-AVR-2312CI-7.2-Integrated-Network-A/V-Surround-Receiver/1.html

Or an Onkyo 616 ($319) http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTXNR616/Onkyo-TX-NR616-7.2-Ch-THX-Certified-Network-A/V-Receiver/1.html

Or stumble accross a great deal on a new receiver like the Pioneer 1123 from newegg.com/Amazon etc.

I like marantz receivers too but they're just to expensive conpared to other brands, even as refurbs. I was willing to pay extra for what I feel is a very easy to setup and operate receiver but it's hard for me to recommend that someone else do it.

I had a Pioneer 1014 for a while a few years ago and really liked it. But a newer receiver has a lot more to offer. The amp section might not be quite what they were (they had to save money somewhere) but it should be good enough.

christh0mas

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
Thanks Gene. Again, I am puzzled. If I am feeding nothing but HDMI devices into the receiver and sending the signal out to my TV via HDMI, why do I need something with HDMI video upconversion?

Sorry.

christh0mas

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
Aw crap. I didn't even think of that. It isn't one of the newer model 360's so it's possible that it doesn't have HDMI on it. I guess I'll need to climb back there and have a look.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks