What's new
World Wide Stereo

Computer Audio Setup (1 Viewer)

CameronPhillips

Auditioning
Real Name
Cameron
Hi guys. I need some help with a computer audio setup, as the title suggests.

I have the Logitech Z-5500D speaker system, and am connecting it to a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro sound card.

The full available connectivity of the sound card can be found on this website, about half way down:
au.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=209&subcategory=669&product=14064&nav=1

Similarly for the speakers, again about halfway down at:
tweaknews.net/reviews/z5500/index2.php

I was hoping somebody could give me some advice and explanation on how I should go about connecting this system up? I'm not entirely clear about what would be the best... In fact I am fairly confused by all this Optical, Coaxial, S/pdif etc.

Also, I'm curious about exactly how my sound will be affected when changing from DTS movie, DTS music, Dolby Digital, 6 channel direct, stereo etc.

Finally, I typically prefer punchy bass for my music, and boomy bass for movies. The sub woofer in the system is ported. I have been lead to believe this, for the most part, means boomy bass. Is there any effective way I can have both? Perhaps cover the port when I am listening to music? Or would that be a bad/ineffective idea?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Camaron. Welcome to HTF!

Since that speaker system is self-powered, you only need to run 1 cable to the control box. While you have options, the area behind a computer is very noisy with electrical, so I would go with a long toslink optical cable. That is all you need.

SPDIF is the written specification. Both optical and coxial carry signals that follow this specification.

You dont want to cover the port. The only problem is sometimes on high bass scenes a port can make a 'woshing' noise. But don't worry about this unless it happens.

'boomy' bass is solved by moving the sub. Put the sub in place of your primary seat, then fire up a bass-heavy track. Crawl around the nearest long wall and listen. You will find spots where the bass is nice and tight, and other spots where it is 'boomy'. Mark the better sounding spots with tape (or a bottle of beer). Relocate the sub to the best postion and sit back and enjoy.

Generally you should get a Radio Shack SPL meter and use a setup DVD like Avia or Video Essentials. It will instruct you how to set the speaker levels and the sub level so everything is calibrated.

Then listen for a week or so. You may find a properly calibrated sound system works great for both music and movies. If not, you can bump the subwoofer volume up a bit for movie watching. I do it, because I like it.

DTS/DD6/etc. - You are just going to have to play with these various settings and decide what sounds best to you. My advice: use music to test with as this is a more difficult task for the speakers. All the settings will sound good for a movie.

CameronPhillips

Auditioning
Real Name
Cameron
Thanks very much.

So both optical and coaxial are better specifications than the 6ch direct? I'll definitely get an optical cable then. Is there any deviation in types? Should I be buying a particular thing or is it all basically the same/negligible?

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
One cable is a lot cheaper, easier than 6 rca cables.

One long video cable works for the coaxial-digital connection. Or a long optical. But I tend to prefer the coaxial as it just feels more durable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryH12
Recent bookmarks