What's new

Coming Soon From Olive Films (2 Viewers)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
MisterLime said:
June Releases (Olive Films) - More to come...
I love Flame Of Barbary Coast - "with the compliments of the house" - but I never did get around to buying it on DVD. I will definitely, but definitely buy this BRD.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
One Touch Of Venus is not by any normal reckoning a good film. It has two major assets. Speak Low is a brilliant song and Franz Planer's photographing of Ava Gardner shows her to be one of the all-time great screen beauties. If this BRD comes from good elements, it will be worth buying just to ogle Ava in high definition.

Attachments

• One Touch Of Venus.jpg
    One Touch Of Venus.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 29

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Can't wait for Showdown at Boot Hill with Bronson . Also Hanger 18 looks pretty good . Haven't seen either before .

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
"One Touch of Venus" did get a Republic Pictures Laserdisc release.
It is a good quality disc, so hopefully the blu-ray should look great.

And yes Ava looks really gorgeous in this one.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
The two westerns seem up my alley. Despite the likelihood of being a riskier purchase, I can't turn down any of Charles Bronson's early performances.
Robin9 said:
One Touch Of Venus is not by any normal reckoning a good film. It has two major assets. Speak Low is a brilliant song and Franz Planer's photographing of Ava Gardner shows her to be one of the all-time great screen beauties. If this BRD comes from good elements, it will be worth buying just to ogle Ava in high definition.
I'm also more interested in this one due to Frank Tashlin's co-writer credit and looking for flashes of his comic sensibilities that made it on screen. Otherwise I agree that Ava Gardner is by and far the film's biggest asset, which helped cement her growing reputation at the time as a screen goddess.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Im interesting in "more to come". Ive got my fingers crossed for some long time wishlists that I have had ever since Olive acquired the rights to the Paramount and Republic library :)

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The last Highlander 2 release was atrocious ( for an HD release ) so i wonder if there is any point to Olive recycling that transfer, i doubt they spent money on a new film scan for it thus if i was Olive i'd not lower my reputation by releasing it, good to see Wake Of The Red Witch and Champion listed.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
While it does look like Olive taken a break from releasing titles from the main Paramount library, as it's pretty clear they've got their hands full in whittling down that list of upcoming Republic titles announced just last year, Olive had been releasing Paramount titles until November 2012 (and December if counting the two repackaged blu-ray sets)

Also, WB only signed the distribution deal for a select number of Paramount titles (600?) and Olive has responded to this reassuring that Olive is still collaborating with Paramount for future releases.

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
JoHud said:
While it does look like Olive taken a break from releasing titles from the main Paramount library, as it's pretty clear they've got their hands full in whittling down that list of upcoming Republic titles announced just last year, Olive had been releasing Paramount titles until November 2012 (and December if counting the two repackaged blu-ray sets)

Also, WB only signed the distribution deal for a select number of Paramount titles (600?) and Olive has responded to this reassuring that Olive is still collaborating with Paramount for future releases.
Newly announced titles FILES ON THELMA JORDON and SHANKS are Paramount. Both are being released on 5/28/13

They also released 3 Paramount titles in February - INNOCENT BYSTANDERS, PLAIN CLOTHES and A NEW LIFE

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Good to hear the Paramount titles are still coming. Thanks for the correction.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
My understanding is that WB's 600-title Paramount deal is covering solely movies that, basically, already got released in some fashion on DVD, but might be debuting in Blu-Ray. It's less of an acquisition deal and more of a replication-and-rackjobbing arrangement. So you won't be seeing any long-unavailable first-time releases from this, just Blu-Ray upgrades and budget packaging releases, such as their double/triple/quad bills pairing Paramount and WB library titles for Wal-Mart.Olive will be the primary place, if at all, we'll be seeing any previously-unavailable Paramount titles. They've been offering a wonderful array of them so far this year, on top of the fine Republic releases.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Mark Edward Heuck said:
My understanding is that WB's 600-title Paramount deal is covering solely movies that, basically, already got released in some fashion on DVD, but might be debuting in Blu-Ray. It's less of an acquisition deal and more of a replication-and-rackjobbing arrangement. So you won't be seeing any long-unavailable first-time releases from this, just Blu-Ray upgrades and budget packaging releases, such as their double/triple/quad bills pairing Paramount and WB library titles for Wal-Mart.Olive will be the primary place, if at all, we'll be seeing any previously-unavailable Paramount titles. They've been offering a wonderful array of them so far this year, on top of the fine Republic releases.
We'll know if titles such as The Joker is Wild or Love with the Proper Stranger are ever released on disc by Warner or Olive.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks