What's new

Coming Soon From Olive Films (3 Viewers)

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
I hope an announcement for DR. TERROR happens soon, as it is Peter Cushing's centennial celebration this year (and is rightfully being celebrated in the UK).

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I also would like 3 Ring Circus on blu-ray together with their other VistaVision titles. I am a bit surprised at the slow rate that VistaVision titles are being released on blu-ray considering that the large format films are generally producing the best blu-rays. If Paramount/Warners do not want to release the higher profile titles perhaps they should give them all to Olive.

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
June Release (Olive Films)

Attachments

• crashout.jpg
    crashout.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 400

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Also in June

Samuel Fuller's SHARK! - Starring Burt Reynolds, Arthur Kennedy and Barry Sullivan - DVD & BLU-RAY
Jean-Luc Godard's KEEP YOUR RIGHT UP! (SOIGNE TA DROITE) - DVD & BLU-RAY
Jean-Luc Goadrd's COMMENT ÇA VA (HOW IS IT GOING?) - DVD & BLU-RAY

Attachments

• Soigne_ta_droite_157.jpg
    Soigne_ta_droite_157.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 47

WadeM

Supporting Actor
FoxyMulder said:
Unlikely to be the bitrate, lower bitrate but great master beats any high bitrate and poor master every day of the week, too often the bitrate is blamed when its usually an inferior master or the studio has decided to degrain or sharpen or both, this is Paramount right, well i trust them with catalogue titles almost as much as i trust Universal, that is to say that too often they don't give catalogue titles the high quality treatment they deserve, there are of course exceptions to this rule.
I'm not saying you're right or wrong, but have you seen this blu-ray specifically, as opposed to making a statement on past observations? The reason I ask is because I do try to learn on this forum and Robert Harris has stated "when Mr. Harwood adds his thoughts to this forum, they should be taken seriously." I have heeded his words.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
WadeM said:
I'm not saying you're right or wrong, but have you seen this blu-ray specifically, as opposed to making a statement on past observations? The reason I ask is because I do try to learn on this forum and Robert Harris has stated "when Mr. Harwood adds his thoughts to this forum, they should be taken seriously." I have heeded his words.
I've seen the McLintock blu-ray. The picture is all right, though frankly I think the DVD looks better. It's the audio that's just awful. When it's not covered up by music you hear that background racket you get on those old flicks (some silent, some not) that TCM runs late nights on the weekend. I'd call it white noise but it's not electronic/electric in nature. In any event, it's very annoying. I don't expect that on a 1963-vintage film.

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
COMMENT ÇA VA - Corrected Final Art - Previous version had listed JEAN-PIERRE GORIN as the co-writer - Its should be ANNE-MARIE MIEVILLE

Attachments

• commcava.jpg
    commcava.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 53

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
We must be getting close to Beware My Lovely and or Dr Terrors House of Horrors (I hope )

DakotaSurfer

Agent
Real Name
Michael
Brandon Conway said:
That's pretty clearly a film element issue.

That's what I assumed but they have had good masters so far and this has been the first one with this poor of a transfer. I've watched all of Duke's new BR's at least 5 times each and other then a couple that were poor quality this was the first with an actual flaw transfer.

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
what other war movies does olive have the rights to. i mean war movies that have not made it to dvd.

Stefan Andersson

Second Unit
Has anybody investigated the running time of the 1958 Miserables? The French DVD is 217 minutes long. Interesting difference between this and the 188 minute Olive release.

A poster on another forum claimed the Olive release is missing eight sequences.

Update: a trustworthy poster on a French forum says the French DVD is 179, not 217 minutes. Then another trustworthy
poster on the same forum checked the home page for the French Pathé company, which lists it as a two-part film (to be shown together) running 210 mins.

And Stuart Galbraith IV, in his review over at DVDTalk, speculates that the 210 and 217 min. runtimes reported by Leonard Maltin and others are due to overture, entr´acte and exit music tracks etc. though that material can hardly make up for the difference.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
ShowdownAtBootHill-1958-Republic-half_zpsf6bb8a4f.jpg

I just read on this informative Westerns blog

http://fiftieswesterns.wordpress.com/

that Olive Films has the blu-ray rights to another Regalscope western, Ambush At Cimarron Pass (1958) featuring a lanky young Clint Eastwood. So I looked it up on imdb and sure enough Olive is listed for DVD and blu-ray. Perhaps they'll release it after Showdown At Boot Hill (June 18) sells a few copies.

AmbushAtCimarronPass-1958-half_zps330dfa61.jpg

Regal Films were a low-budget arm of Fox that shot blatantly commercial films for $100,000 or less in 6 days or less on the backlot. The films were in monochrome and widescreen and seldom ran over 75 minutes. There were juvenile deilnquent films, horror films, sci-fi films, noirs, and of course westerns. Some weren't half bad, and all were well-made.

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Due to some unforeseen issues the Audio Commentary for HANGAR 18 was dropped from the Olive Films release. The DVD and BD will not have any extras.

Mark Pytel

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Pytel
Man with all the great Olive releases and all the great Shout/Scream releases...I'm going to need a second job. Also now that Warner is re-releasing some great stuff on blu and all of the great WAC titles...man my wife is gonna kill me :p So many great releases this year. It's a great time to be a lover of older catalog titles.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks