What's new

Coming Soon From Olive Films (1 Viewer)

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
Richard--W said:
Thanks for the explanation, Mike.

I see no reason why the transfers that air on TCM and Encore Westerns can't be pressed onto DVD, if that's all that is available. They're perfectly acceptable. Better to have the films in TV print condition than not have them.
That's so. Many Warner Archive titles are older TCM masters. I assume they (Olive) have their reasons for not going that route, though that's not to say they might not change their minds in time.

Mike S.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Its been almost a month since there was any activity in this thread.

Its been almost two months since we last had any announcement of upcoming releases. And its been almost a month since there was any word out of Olive (about the price reductions of a few titles).

Plus we heard that several releases were going to be held back.

Does anyone know why they've 'gone dark'?

I enjoy the Olive releases and hope they continue.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Just look at the conversation in this very thread a year ago. Its the exact same thing. They don't announce release until almost a month out usually, so if they release anything in January I wouldn't expect news until later this month at the absolute earliest.Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk

paul59539

Auditioning
Real Name
sherwin
Coming in 2013 and 2014 from Olive Films

Betty Boop Volume 3 - Betty Boop Volume 4 - The Pawnbroker - The Bells of St. Mary - Stranger on the Prowl - Sleep My Love - Mr. Peabody and the Mermaid - That's My Man - I've Always Loved You - Magnificent Doll - Forever Female - Up the Junction - Home of the Brave - Johnny Come Lately - Flying Tigers - The North Star and the alternate shorter version Armored Attack - Operation Petticoat - Distant Drums - Good Sam - High School Confidential - Love Happy - Sands of Iwo Jima - South of St. Louis - Try and Get Me (aka The Sound of Fury) - So This is New York - Arch of Triumph - Caught - The Lost Moment - Men in War - The Other Love - Cauldron of Blood - Beware, My Lovely - Outrage - Dr. Terror's House of Horrors - Man on the Roof - The Adalen Riots - Elvira Madigan - Raven's End - Fedora - The Stationmaster's Wife (Uncut Version) - Dead Heat on Beethoven Street (Uncut never-before-seen version) - J'Accuse (1938) - Ophelia (Chabrol) - The World's Most Beautiful Swindlers - Guilty of Romance - Himizu - and more Blu-ray releases of the previously released DVDs

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
paul59539 said:
Coming in 2013 and 2014 from Olive Films

Betty Boop Volume 3 - Betty Boop Volume 4 - The Pawnbroker - The Bells of St. Mary - Stranger on the Prowl - Sleep My Love - Mr. Peabody and the Mermaid - That's My Man - I've Always Loved You - Magnificent Doll - Forever Female - Up the Junction - Home of the Brave - Johnny Come Lately - Flying Tigers - The North Star and the alternate shorter version Armored Attack - Operation Petticoat - Distant Drums - Good Sam - High School Confidential - Love Happy - Sands of Iwo Jima - South of St. Louis - Try and Get Me (aka The Sound of Fury) - So This is New York - Arch of Triumph - Caught - The Lost Moment - Men in War - The Other Love - Cauldron of Blood - Beware, My Lovely - Outrage - Dr. Terror's House of Horrors - Man on the Roof - The Adalen Riots - Elvira Madigan - Raven's End - Fedora - The Stationmaster's Wife (Uncut Version) - Dead Heat on Beethoven Street (Uncut never-before-seen version) - J'Accuse (1938) - Ophelia (Chabrol) - The World's Most Beautiful Swindlers - Guilty of Romance - Himizu - and more Blu-ray releases of the previously released DVDs
Wow, what a list! I'VE ALWAYS LOVED YOU is a classical music drama directed by Frank Borzage and a rare Technicolor production from Republic. I saw it in a theater once and thought it was magnificent. I keep hearing great things about TRY AND GET ME, a 1950 kidnap drama directed by Cy Endfield. MEN IN WAR is a great Korean War movie directed by Anthony Mann and I've only ever had it on public domain VHS. Is OUTRAGE the 1950 rape drama starring Mala Powers and directed by Ida Lupino? If so, it's a must-have. Ophuls' CAUGHT is good and I only have it on VHS. THE LOST MOMENT is a period drama that always sounded intriguing to me. DEAD HEAT ON BEETHOVEN STREET is a German film directed by Sam Fuller. I saw it about 40 years ago in New York and haven't seen it since. I had only just discovered Fuller when I saw it.

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre
When Olive finishes releasing the Republic catalog (which looks to happen in 2014), I'd really like to see them license another batch of Paramount titles. Some suggestions:

I Walk Alone (1948) - Byron HaskinSeptember Affair (1950) - William DieterlePeking Express (1951) - William DieterleSubmarine Command (1951) - John FarrowThe Turning Point (1952) - William DieterleBotany Bay (1953) - John FarrowMambo (1954) - Robert RossenSecret of the Incas (1954) - Jerry HopperHell's Island (1955) - Phil KarlsonStrategic Air Command (1955) - Anthony MannThe Scarlet Hour (1956) - Michael CurtizThe Joker is Wild (1957) - Charles VidorOmar Khayyam (1957) - William DieterleShort Cut to Hell (1957) - James CagneyWild is the Wind (1957) - George CukorWhen Hell Broke Loose (1958) - Kenneth G. CraneChance Meeting (1959) - Joseph LoseyThat Kind of Woman (1959) - Sidney Lumet5 Branded Women (1960) - Martin Ritt
The Savage Innocents (1960) - Nicholas RayUnder Ten Flags (1960) - Duilio ColettiLove with the Proper Stranger (1963) - Robert MulliganRed Line 7000 (1965) - Howard HawksGunn (1967) - Blake EdwardsThe Stranger (1967) - Luchino ViscontiIsabel (1968) - Paul Almond
Deep End (1970) - Jerzy Skolimowski
Little Fauss and Big Halsy (1970) - Sidney J. FurieTell Me That You Love Me, Junie Moon (1970) - Otto PremingerWaterloo (1970) - Sergei Bondarchuk
A Gunfight (1971) - Lamont JohnsonJoe Hill (1971) - Bo Widerberg
T.R. Baskin (1971) - Herbert RossThe Mattei Affair (1972) - Francesco Rosi
The Man (1972) - Joseph Sargent
A Separate Peace (1972) - Larry Peerce
Ash Wednesday (1973) - Larry Peerce
Scalawag (1973) - Kirk DouglasThe Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz (1974) - Ted KotcheffBugsy Malone (1976) - Alan ParkerCitizens Band a.k.a. Handle with Care (1977) - Jonathan DemmeLooking for Mr. Goodbar (1977) - Richard Brooks
American Hot Wax (1978) - Floyd MutruxBloodline (1979) - Terence Young
Phobia (1980) - John HustonRough Cut (1980) - Don Siegel
Paternity (1981) - David Steinberg
Come Back to the Five and Dime, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean (1982) - Robert Altman
Fighting Back (1982) - Lewis Teague
Beyond the Limit (1983) - John Mackenzie
The Keep (1983) - Michael MannCompromising Positions (1985) - Frank PerryMacaroni (1985) - Ettore Scola
White of the Eye (1987) - Donald CammellHawks (1988) - Robert Ellis MillerJack’s Back (1988) - Rowdy Herrington1492: Conquest of Paradise (1992) - Ridley Scott
A Boy Called Hate (1995) - Mitch MarcusTrilogy of Terror II (1996) - Dan Curtis

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Something is going on with COME BACK TO FIVE AND DIME, JIMMY DEAN. I don't think its Olive, but it is with somebody.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
I agree with more Paramount titles.

These Musicals from the fifties would be more than welcome.

Let's Dance
Somebody Loves Me
Son of Paleface (some songs)
The Stars are Singing
Here Come the Girls
Those Redheads from Seattle (in 3D please)
The Girl Rush
The Seven Little Foys
The Vagabond King
Beau James (some songs)
St.Louis Blues.

Doug.

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
Son of Paleface and The Seven Little Foys are no longer with Paramount. Fremantle owns them now with other Bob Hope titles and Shout Factory released them on DVD and Brentwood released Son of Paleface on HD-DVD.

April titles are already announced. So, we won't see anything from them til April?

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
GregoryMesh said:
Son of Paleface and The Seven Little Foys are no longer with Paramount. Fremantle owns them now with other Bob Hope titles and Shout Factory released them on DVD and Brentwood released Son of Paleface on HD-DVD.

April titles are already announced. So, we won't see anything from them til April?
Thanks for that Greg.

What a shame that these titles will now never see a decent release.

Because, since both titles had become public domain we have suffered hellish and abysmal replications of what were once fabulous IB Technicolor productions.

If the poor quality of Brentwood's HD-DVD is any indication then the rot will continue.
I will need to investigate the quality of Shout Factory's The Seven Little Foys, though I doubt it is any better than the other PD garbage that you find in the $2 bins.

What a shame that Olive didn't get to them first.

Up date: I just had a look at a few positive reviews of Brentwood's The Seven Little Foys DVD on Amazon, but I'm not sure I can trust them though.
They did say it's been cropped.

So here is the proper 35mm Vista Vision frame.
foy.jpg

Doug.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Hi, Doug. THE SEVEN LITTLE FOYS, which was originally a Vista Vision production, is pan & scan with fairly faded and murky color on Shout's Bob Hope set. I wouldn't invest any money in it if you're only interested in THE SEVEN LITTLE FOYS, which actually holds up dramatically pretty well in spite of the sad shape the elements are in. Anyway, THE LEMMON DROP KID & MY FAVORITE BRUNETTE look pretty good, and THE ROAD TO BALI has very nice color. THE ROAD TO RIO is kind of beat-up, but watchable.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Thanks for that helpful information lark144,

Yes, I'm not surprised.
Most Paramount Technicolored titles from the 50s and 60s look to be in great shape when released by Themselves, TCM, Olive or Universal, so you have to wonder where the Shout factory/ Brentwood transfers come from.
Seeing that all of them are (or were) PD Titles I doubt very much the transfers have come from Paramount.

Luckily I can still see excerpts from The Seven Little Foys courtesy of an (incomplete) original IB Technicolor 35mm VistaVision print.
But I'd give anything to see a complete version on a top quality Blu-ray.

Doug.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I assume that Warners currently have all the Paramount VistaVision titles. There are some like Hell's Island that have not been released on home video but I doubt Warners will be interested in those titles. Hopefully Olive will soon be in a position to release them.

Bob Hope's films seem to be all over the place. Some of his VistaVision films have not been released (Beau James, That Certain Feeling) and I would also very much like Here Come the Girls.

My top Bob Hope film for release on blu-ray would be My Favorite Blonde (Bob, Madeleine Carroll, George Zucco, Gale Sondergaard).

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
All of the films previously owned by the Hope Estate (and are now PD) definitely need some serious remastering and/or restoration. Outside of the UCLA restored Son of Paleface and Road to Rio the rest are in some pretty serious need of updating. The Shout! Factory sets really just repackaged the same PD transfers we'd been seeing for over a decade (except Paris Holiday, strangely enough).

Hopefully these hope films get their due sometime in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks