What's new

Coax/Optical vs HDMI for sound (1 Viewer)

dgk

Auditioning
Real Name
David Kulick
As a newbie to the HDTV/HDMI world, I'm look for a receiver and was wondering why I would want to run HDMI video through a receiver when I can run all the sources right to the TV and coax/optical to the receiver. I'm not shooting for high-end here; I'm thinking of the Panasonic SA-XR57. The problem with it is that the HDMI seems very odd, it doesn't support 1080P and there is only one HDMI input anyway. I don't think my cablebox even supports 1080p though. Isn't that just for BlueRay and HD?

That is no issue if there isn't a significant (loaded word) difference between coax/optical and HDMI audio. Both support 5.1 right? With a modest receiver and speakers, will I ever notice a difference? The SA-XR57 does do 6.1 and 7.1 but I don't really have a place to even hang more speakers.

Thanks.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter

I think the SA-XR57 is a bit outdated, only 1 HDMI input, and I think there are some LFE issues with that. If you want a cheap receiver, try Sony STR-DG810/910, or an Onkyo 605, any of which will future-proof you for awhile.

dgk

Auditioning
Real Name
David Kulick
Oh, I meant that I would run the coax/optical directly from the cablebox or dvd player into the receiver, not through the TV. HDMI from device to TV, Coax/Opt from device to receiver. But, it would be nicer to run the HDMI directly from all devices to the receiver and then onto the TV.

Hmm. The blurb says two HDMI inputs but the specs say three. These are full 1080p? I guess I'll go look.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The difference is an HDMI equipped receiver will allow you to access losslessly compressed or uncompressed PCM tracks. A receiver equipped only with optical/coax inputs will not allow you to access lossless or uncompressed PCM tracks. Optical/ coax will only allow you to listen to the older lossy tracks: DD or DTS.

dgk

Auditioning
Real Name
David Kulick

Thanks. The SA-XR57 does have an HDMI input although the output is only 1080i. I've been thinking that this will prove sufficient in my price range. I'm not planning on passing the signal through to the TV. The cablebox doesn't have PCM, does it? That will only be coming from HD-DVD?

For now, I think a coax from the cablebox to the receiver is sufficient, with HDMI from the box going directly to the TV. Since I only have an upconverting DVD player now, I can run the HDMI to the TV and coax to the receiver from that. When I finally get HD-DVD, I can run the HDMI to the TV and maybe use a splitter to send it to the receiver as well.

Does that sound reasonable for someone who isn't really an audiophile? Most of my youth has been misspent listening to hissy bootleg recordings anyway. What hearing I once possessed disappeared following a particularly loud Zappa concert.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
For ~$20-$50 more than the Panasonic, the Sony 810 gives you 3xHDMI inputs. I think it's a much better deal in the long run, even if only for the extra inputs. The Panasonic reportedly has an issue with LFE over the HDMI. I think it was a fine receiver ~2 yrs ago, but going forward it's good to have HDMI switching just in case you want to expand later.

dgk

Auditioning
Real Name
David Kulick
What's LFE? I googled and see that lots of receivers seem to have problems but some are fixed by firmware. Still no idea what LFE is though.

I see that folks really like the Panasonic, but much of those posts are from last year (AVS forum). I thought about the Sony, even though I promised that I'd never buy Sony again (too many dying diskmans plus the rootkit and general DRM crap). They seem to have a very bad reputation here though, particularly the STR-DG line. I just ditched a Sony DVD player that wouldn't play PAL even though it was region free. The replacement (Pioneer I think) has no such problem.

I do like the idea of 3 HDMIs, but I've been looking into switchers (and splitters) and by the time I need a third HDMI input, those should be cheaper and better. Plus, you get the added advantage of YET ANOTHER remote.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
LFE = "low frequency effects" = the "0.1" in 5.1 DD, for the subwoofer. A lot of receivers had issues with this because of lack of a 10dB boost for this channel due to confusion over specs, including the Panasonic. There are fixes out for some other receivers (Pioneers) but not this one. It's only an issue for PCM over HDMI audio, supposedly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks