What's new

PS5 and Samsung 8000-series poor Blu-Ray sound (1 Viewer)

John_Bilbrey

Second Unit
Just noticed an issue with my PS5 and my Samsung 8000 series TV. I'm getting what I would describe as "poor" sound on Blu-Ray movies from the PS5 to my Klipsche soundbar (Cinema 400). It almost sounds like a low-res MP3, very compressed sounding if that makes sense. The issue is not present when streaming from say Amazon or Netflix.

The PS5 is connected via HDMI to the Samsung "one connect" or whatever it's called, which then runs to the TV via some proprietary cabling. The ARC is connected back out to the soundbar via HDMI. I've tried a couple of different HDMI cables between the PS5 and one connect, with no change, as well as the digital optical connection back to the soundbar. I don't think the issue is with the HDMI ARC cable as streaming sounds fine, but I could test that with a new cable as well. I should mention that I just hooked this TV back up in place of my Samsung 7000 series TV (which connects direct via HDMI rather than the one connect box or whatever) and the sound was fine with the old TV. I should also mention that before moving, the PS5 was connected to this TV but I was using a dedicated Denon AVR and surround speakers.

I have not checked any settings in the PS5, is there something that needs to be checked there? The last time this was all hooked up in this configuration it sounded like you would expect. It has been connected in a different config (different TV and soundbar versus AVR) but the sound was fine then. Could something have changed in the PS5 settings to foul things up? Any ideas where to go from here? I could also drag my PS4 out and see if the issue persists with it.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Having previously sold Samsung products for many years, their one-connect box is complete junk and causes more headaches than it should.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Having previously sold Samsung products for many years, their one-connect box is complete junk and causes more headaches than it should.
Todd, if he's out of hdmi inputs, how about forgoing the eARC in favor of using that as an additional hdmi input for the PS5 and use the optical output to the soundbar instead? Honestly, on a soundbar, there's really no benefit to using eARC for audio.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Todd, if he's out of hdmi inputs, how about forgoing the eARC in favor of using that as an additional hdmi input for the PS5 and use the optical output to the soundbar instead? Honestly, on a soundbar, there's really no benefit to using eARC for audio.
Absolutely. I'm a bit unfamiliar with the PS5, but if there is an option to output Audio as PCM stereo, I would choose that as well.

Wardog555

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Fraser
When you play the movie on the ps5 hit the options button to select the audio format.
You likely need to change it for dolby true hd. Dts hd ma. And another option is replace soundbar with av receiver and speakers since you are complaining about audio quality!

John_Bilbrey

Second Unit
I'd have to pull the TV off the mount to verify, but I think it only has the one connect option for inputs - I didn't see any stand-alone HDMI inputs because I remember sweating because I couldn't find the one connect cable after the move. Luckily, I found it.

The PS5 is sending Dolby Atmos out, but I can change output formats if we think that will help.

The other issue is the soundbar only has 1 HDMI input and 1 digital optical. I was running ARC to simplify things, but with only two devices (PS5 and the TV itself) I should be OK. I think the TV has an optical out.

EDIT: the only optical is on the one connect contraption

AVR and dedicated speakers isn't really an option at the moment, much to my dismay. I could possibly talk the boss into a 3.1 setup and throw the BA bookshelves in the entertainment center, but that may take some doing. I've got enough kit that I could rig that up, just getting the approval would be the issue.

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I don't know what size TV it is, but I looked up the 8000 series and what I saw was three hdmi inputs. One perpendicular to the back of the TV and two parallel to it.

John_Bilbrey

Second Unit
Hi John - it's a 55. Unless I totally overlooked them, the only inputs I saw outside of the one connect box were a USB and an ethernet connection. I'll try to look again when I get home tonight.

John_Bilbrey

Second Unit
So, problem solved. The solution was to get rid of the sound bar. I put my old AVR and a L/C/R (Boston Acoustics CRC and CR75 bookshelves) in place, and the issue went away. I'm using the same digital optical cable from before.

I must have been asking "too much" of the Cinema 400, but it was just odd that I only noticed it on the PS5.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks