What's new

Civilization III (1 Viewer)

Hakan Powers

Stunt Coordinator
Any Civ3 players here?
Personally I've been waiting for years for this title to be released. Installed it on saturday and have been at it since (with pauses for some sleep, food, coffee and work).
Incredibly addicting!
What do you guys think of it sofar? There's plenty of new stuff to talk about, rules, units, diplomacy etc. Personally I really like the new diplomacy and trade. Also the fact that you the game now models culture.
I'll get back to work and continue my rambling here when I've played more tonight :)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
There's a bunch of us on this forum here, check out the search engine, there's a lot of posts about new strategy for Civ3 and stuff. There should be a patch sometime between now and early december from Firaxis to fix some bugs and probably adjust the corruption down a bit.
There are some problems with Air Superiority problems with Fighters not working and some Fortress problems. And the editor is supposedly being enhanced.
Hurry up and create an army of Panzers!!;)
Jay

Kenneth

Supporting Actor
Yeah, there's several Civ III'ers here. I definitely like the new diplomacy and trading models. I am still adjusting to the more efficient AI. Building wonders faster than the computer used to be a cake walk. Now you rarely get them all and you need to focus on certain strategic wonders. I will like when they tone down corruption a bit but I definitely thinks it adds some new challenges. Also, they removed my best cheat :eek: by not randomizing huts each time you hit them. All in all an excellent game that is costing me lots of spare time and sleep :)
Kenneth

Matty B

Stunt Coordinator
God I hope they speed the game up. My system is a BEAST and this runs like UTTER crap.

Jay W

Supporting Actor
I agree with Matty, performance issues aside there are a few annoying bugs. The AI also 'seems' to be a little too sneaky on occasion :|

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I like sneaky! My PC right now is in limbo but on Warlord or lower, certain civs seem to be very peaceful while others tend to be more agressive. I like that, it's kind of like a touch of personality to an AI. Until I get my AMD motherboard to actually boot, I haven't tried playing anything larger than a small world and more than 4 sims (including me).
Can't wait for the patch and I'm looking forward to seeing some cool scenarios around. I know there are a bunch of appearence patchs, stuff that makes citizens easier to read their mood, things that make Elvis your domestic advisor, stuff like that. There's even a patch to create a "terrorist" unit that has no attack or defense but basically goes around and destroys your improvements.
I like the cultural assimilation, that's a pretty cool thing as long as it doesn't happen to you!! :)
Jay

They've released patch v.1.17f supposedly (the latest) but I can't seem to download it. Is anyone else having the same problem? I click on the link and get the "page not available" screen. It's driving me up the wall!
Link Removed

Kenneth

Supporting Actor
I couldn't pull it down from the infrgrames or Firaxis servers. Luckily the civfanatics.com website had a mirror and I was able to pull it down from there. I didn't do anything other than install the patch yet so I can't speak to its changes.

Kenneth

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
Reviving this thread in honor of the expanision pack, Play the World. Is anyone going to get it or I going to rule the world alone?

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
..with honor!

Really, I haven't had the time to play CivIII in a while. I did start up a game of Empire Deluxe which is a simplified version for global conquest and finished the WWII scenario playing the axis powers.

I'll have to check it out, thanks for the update..

Jay

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
Hmm. I'll take a look. Only played it a couple of times after buying it - just takes too long for a game.
That said, it's really an awesome game..
Hmm. I SHOULD load this on my laptop.... :)

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Actually started playing Civ3 over the weekend... And it 100% absorbed the little time I had. A very good improvement... A few of the changes took a while to get the hang of - the whole resource setup for instance. But I'm enjoying it.

Need to download the patches etc, get it uptodate.

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
Yeah, it took me few games to get used to the new style, but now I am quickly taking over cities in the game (and won usng Babylon).

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
My first big game of CivIII, I played the Germans... Achtung-Zee Panzer tank! As long as you remained offensive and agressive, the germans give you a pretty good boost in the mid to endgame during the war. Combine the Panzer with railroads and you're like a supermobile agressive offensive machine.

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks