What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
As I became more and more embroiled in David Leitch's Bullet Train, an interesting blend of thriller and comedy aboard a Japanese bullet train, not unlike those we find domestically here via Amtrak, my mind kept to going to an odd place, and I had to visit the dark web this morning in an attempt to put the pieces together.

Attaining access isn't the easiest thing in the world, but once I did, the facts came to the fore. I found a group call QAnon, ,which I presume to be a home theater group. Their discussions seemingly having hidden meanings in reviews of QLED flat panels, although it's all a bit strange, and I don't quite understand the subterfuge.

In any case, Bullet Train, an extremely fast-paced program, with enough facts and herrings of different colors to make The Big Sleep seems easy to understand, actually brings all of those bits and pieces together in the end. It has great entertainment value.

What I found on line was a discussion of that seems to point to the fact that Bullet Train may not be a film by David Leitch, and that Mr. Leitch may in fact be a pseudonym used by one Mr. Tarantino. The two styles are incredibly similar - down to the titles and identifications.

One writer came up with the concept that while Mr. Tarantino has made note of his intent to retire, his love of film is so great that he re-invented himself under the name of Leitch. The other interesting fact that came to light on the QAnon site is that Mr. Leitch was never seen on set, but rather was always either in a trailer or working remotely. This isn't anything new, just interesting, and leads to more questions.

There was also a discussion that I found that brings to light the fact that Mr. Leitch was Mr. Pitt's stunt double.

But that lends an air of incredulity to the concept that Mr. Leitch may actually be Mr. Tarantino, as Mr. Leitch is 5' 11", same as Mr. Pitt, and both are on the lanky side. Mr. Tarantino is 6' 1", and appears to carry a tad more weight.

Not certain what this says about those who pray at the shrine of QLEDs.

Bottom line, whoever directed - and I'll make note that Mr. Leitch is responsible for both Deadpool 2, as well as Atomic Blonde, one of my favorite films of 2017, Bullet Train is a great deal of reasonably mindless fun. And of course, Sandra Bullock steals the show with her incredible stunt work - all I've read, performed without a double. Had the role gone to Lady Gaga as originally planned, this would have been an entirely different film.

A great looking and sounding 4k release.

Image – 5 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 5

Recommended

RAH

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Bottom line, whoever directed - and I'll make note that Mr. Leitch is responsible for both Deadpool 2, as well as Atomic Blonde, one of my favorite films of 2017, Bullet Train is a great deal of reasonably mindless fun.

The trailers didn't entice me, so I hadn't really planned to see this. But I liked Deadpool 2 and Atomic Blonde well enough -- the former more than the latter -- so I might actually like this one, too. I might have to check this out.

JoeBond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joseph Myers
"Atomic Blond" is brilliant--the best James Bond film since 1968. And Amtrak service is great along the Northeast Corridor.
I once took an Amtrak from Portland to Seattle and liked it. As a big Bond fan I must see Atomic Blonde now! I picked it up a while back for cheap. I’ll catch Bullit Train soon looks entertaining like Robert mentioned.

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
One thing that really impressed me about the picture is how well-written it is. It's not easy to keep so many balls in the air as well as managing the various time-jumps, but it works perfectly, and I especially liked how so many little details, no matter how seemingly insignificant, would have a payoff somewhere down the line. So it really is more than just a mindless action comedy, and Leitch has certainly carved a fine niche for himself in this genre (see also "Hobbs and Shaw," easily the best of the F&F franchise).

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
One thing that really impressed me about the picture is how well-written it is. It's not easy to keep so many balls in the air as well as managing the various time-jumps, but it works perfectly, and I especially liked how so many little details, no matter how seemingly insignificant, would have a payoff somewhere down the line. So it really is more than just a mindless action comedy, and Leitch has certainly carved a fine niche for himself in this genre (see also "Hobbs and Shaw," easily the best of the F&F franchise).
You have me thinking Fiji water

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
It's not easy to keep so many balls in the air as well as managing the various time-jumps
I know, right? I was getting worried towards the end that we weren't going to get a backstory for the water bottle. But lo and behold they snuck it in perfectly.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I watched this last weekend. I had a great time watching it- Pitt’s charm and his
“take everything as it comes” attitude really worked alongside all the mayhem.
I thought it was a beautiful looking UHD too.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
The trailers didn't entice me, so I hadn't really planned to see this. But I liked Deadpool 2 and Atomic Blonde well enough -- the former more than the latter -- so I might actually like this one, too. I might have to check this out.

I just watched it earlier tonight. Loved it. Great action, and very funny. Thanks to RAH for the review encouraging me to watch it.

Anyway, I also discovered that David Leitch also co-directed the first John Wick film with Chad Stahelski. As I understand it, they shared both director and producer duties, with Stahelski taking the director credit, and Leitch the producer credit.

The only question left is: Do I really have to watch Hobbs & Shaw now? I've been trying my best to avoid any part of the F&F franchise, but with four other excellent action movies to Leitch's credit...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks