What's new

Cinerama digital restoration videos-Seven Wonders & Search for Paradise (1 Viewer)

Strohmaier

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Strohmaier
This is Cinerama was the complete full version it is the same cut (1954 cutting) as we have shown in 3 strip at the Dome, Seattle and Bradford, don't know where you get that Lowell Thomas was in the Venice seq. That was the Todd unit only, Thomas was only filmed in his office set for This Is Cinerama. He does, however, appear on a few locations in Seven Wonders and Search for Paradise, maybe thats where you are getting this. All the 3 panels are there throughout (yes including the opera) except a slight amount (approx. 5% on the left and right edge as the 65mm had to be used for the transfer as the negatives were very problematic) All north and south image is intact, as we tested this with the Dome 3 panel print.

Original crew members James Morrison and Norman Karlin have seen This is Cinerama DVD and will verify of what I speak.

Only slight trimming was done in late Dec of 1952 to shorten the film from the original (September 30th premier Broadway Theater length)

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
Strohmaier said:
This is Cinerama was the complete full version it is the same cut (1954 cutting) as we have shown in 3 strip at the Dome, Seattle and Bradford, don't know where you get that Lowell Thomas was in the Venice seq. That was the Todd unit only, Thomas was only filmed in his office set for This Is Cinerama. He does, however, appear on a few locations in Seven Wonders and Search for Paradise, maybe thats where you are getting this. All the 3 panels are there throughout (yes including the opera) except a slight amount (approx. 5% on the left and right edge as the 65mm had to be used for the transfer as the negatives were very problematic) All north and south image is intact, as we tested this with the Dome 3 panel print.

Original crew members James Morrison and Norman Karlin have seen This is Cinerama DVD and will verify of what I speak.

Only slight trimming was done in late Dec of 1952 to shorten the film from the original (September 30th premier Broadway Theater length)
On the extreme right hand side of the St.Marks square scene, just in front of the tower,Lowell Thomas can be clearly seen holding a small camera.Having seen the film numerous times in Cinerama, there was no mistaking that it was Lowell. David Coles pointed this out to me many years ago. On the dvd you can only see part of his shadow. Can any other people confirm this?

Strohmaier

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Strohmaier
Peter you are talking about Fred Bosh the Cinerama soundman, I just confirmed this with David Coles.
Lowell was not in that Venice scene; Fred was in the shot but only on the extreme very edge of the frame and he is still there. Fred has a green sweater on and steps into the frame towards the end of the ST Marks shot to take a photo.
As I say only 5% is missing on the edge, sorry you think the film is unwatchable, most people understand and appreciate this transfer after looking at the remastering video included in the release.

FYI Windjammer had a bit more actual cropping north south and left right than TIC due to the Lynwood Dunn process used to create the composite Cinemascope release many years ago.

See the TIC St Marks shot with Fred in this Venice link:
http://www.in70mm.com/news/2012/gondola/index.htm
(scroll down to the St Marks shot)

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
Found a scan of this postcard online.

windjammer_postcard.jpg

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
I just got an unexpected e-mail from Jeff Masino of Flicker Alley confirming that both 'Seven Wonders' and 'Search for Paradise' have been shipped and are on their way.
That's almost a fortnight early.

I just can't wait to re-discover these two CINERAMA classics.
For me these are by far my most anticipated blu-rays of 2014.
Thanks again to all those involved in this wonderful venture.

tickets6.jpg

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Strohmaier said:
...FYI Windjammer had a bit more actual cropping north south and left right than TIC due to the Lynwood Dunn process used to create the composite Cinemascope release many years ago....
I have the Windjammer Blu-ray and a few reels from the Able panel. I wanted to see how much of Windjammer is cropped on the Blu-ray. Its not much IMHO.

Below are three frames.

wjframes.jpg

Below is I one of the frames combined with the DVD screen shot.

wjdvdc4.jpg

Attachments

• wjframes.jpg
    wjframes.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 39

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks