What's new

Church movie connection area needs advice (1 Viewer)

tnoon

Auditioning
Real Name
tom
I have to continue to say what a blessings the responses to this forum are-- they are very helpful.

FYI the walls are not white (whew) the wall behind the screen is cranberry red, side walls are sage green and gold. There are just 5 narrow windows with wooden roman shades that will block out light. all the main lights can be shut down and then we have recessed lighting on the far aisle (42-48 ft away ) on a rheostat (sp?) that can control brightness for a safety issue and so people can see their drinks and popcorn/candy.

If NFL wants to come after a small church having a free superbowl party, I guess they can do what they feel best. We are more concerned about the fellowship.

Again-- thx to all!!!

MikeNg

Second Unit
Depending on how much of the front wall is visible while viewing a movie, you may notice an exaggeration towards red tones because of that cranberry red. There is one color that is absolutely AWEFUL for theater walls. You guessed it - green. It being on the side walls and the fact that it's partly gold might not impact the viewing, so it's probably OK. As a general rule, the dark neutrals are the way to go. Of course black is better, but who want's to sit in a film developing room?!?!!

OT, I don't think the NFL will ever come after a small church having a Superbowl party. However, that may be beside the point. Having integrity and being 'above reproach' in your ministry is really what that is about - IMO. OK, back on topic...

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

Another issue the huge room size creates: You probably aren’t going to cover all seating without multiple surround speakers – like they have in theaters. Plus more amps to drive them – more money. :frowning:

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
As far as the Superbowl, the NFL did stop a church in Indianapolis from showing the Superbowl this past February. Like the IRS, the NFL wants to make an example by scaring off the "little people".

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
Actually, my suggestion would be to use Community Veris 6 speakers (6" two-way) for the satellite channels, and a Community Veris 212S subwoofer in front, below the screen to supply the lows. That would be a pro-level system that would be capable of some decent output, when properly powered. If you can't afford that setup, you should reevaluate your priorities when you say that you want your system to be the "Wow" factor for the room. A sound system budget less than $5,000 (including amplifiers and processing) isn't going to get you anything in that sort of space.

Really, it would just be best for your church's primary sound contractor (the company that installed the main sound system) to design and install this system as well. Things just get more complicated when you ask for surround sound. If you don't have a sound contractor, you should seriously consider using one. I know you might not be able to "afford" it, but then who takes the blame when things don't turn out as well as you wanted? Installation contractors are in the business of making your space sound good, and they make the most of your sound system investment.

tnoon

Auditioning
Real Name
tom
I had an epiphany- we are going to turn our screen and viewing area around - the screen will be on a side wall and not an end wall - so our depth will be 35 ft (width of the room) and not 48 and viewing width will be around 30 ft . So my 5.1 sound system will have less space to fill.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
The height of the room is still going to be the biggest limiting factor in terms of screen size. Since seating isn't permanent I'd consider a front row of bean-bag and video-game type chairs with the second and third row staggered giving everone a view of more of the wall. Even then you're still going to want to keep the bottom of the screen atleast 1-1.5ft off of the floor, giving you a maximum of around 170" diaganol (84" x 150") and more likely around 150" which would actuall work out pretty well.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
I know this may cause a number of people to gag, but you may also want to approach some more PA-like issues.

First, at least initially, you may receive some benefit by going to a 4.1 sound, with mono surrounds.

Second, you may also want to consider not getting a few huge surround speakers, but a lot of little 70volt speakers, so no individual speaker is running really hard, and you get nice, even coverage.

Here's the real barf line: Bose. Commercial. At work, we have what feels like a hundred or so of the Bose 102s, now obsolete. Looks like Bose Panaray 302A speaker is the closest match to it now. Wide dispersion, ~75-80 Hz LF cutoff (if not from size, from the 70v distribution, anyway.)

The projector's also going to be a problem. A dim image does not say "Wow." You may want to look more toward something in the low-end professional range of projectors, at least 3000-5000 lumens.

You're working in a difficult range; you want the moon, and you have a budget to get you to Akron. (Nothing personal, it was just a city name that came to mind.)

Leo

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hi
Just surfing through.
your PJ choice is not even ball park. Look for something with 2-4 times that light output, even if you have to cut on resolution to do so.
120" screen is past the point of pushing that PJ, even in a home environment and controlled lighting. In a room that size, people coming in and out, lights not controlled...you wont even see the screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks