What's new

Center speakers: Definitive Technology Mythos Three or MartinLogan Motion 8? (1 Viewer)

jamsoccer12

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeremy
I'm putting together a home theater and am hoping that someone has experience and can comment on these two. The speaker will sit on a shelf. Thank you!

jamsoccer12

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeremy
in ceiling front two- speakercraft AIM7 two (versus AIM5 three....still deciding); back two speakercraft CRS6; Definitive technology supercube 2000 sub....new to this whole theater thing, so any help is appreciated!

jamsoccer12

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeremy
I found the definitive technology mythos for $200 less than the ML, so that may be the deciding factor if they are pretty comparable.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Is there a reason you can't do this the right way? Like the room layout is such that the TV is on a wall and on either side is an opening to another room? You have concrete walls? Stucco walls?

jamsoccer12

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeremy
tv is in the corner in a built-in over fireplace, and then it is a large open layout without walls in the back...home was recently built and had prewiring for speakers put in ceiling. Didn't realize that was the wrong way?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The "front" soundstage should be even. Meaning the tweeters all in a row...or as close as possible. Over the fireplace is never recommended for a TV(yet I'm amazed how often I see it). Corner of a room is the very last place a TV should go. So we need to help you fix the worst possible scenario... It would help to post a pic of the wall. You can use the present "pre-wire" for height channels. Have you purchased an AVR yet? By the way. I'm a freelance HT designer...but no...I do not mix "forum guidance" with "my business". If you find me(outside of here, great)...I can help with directives...otherwise...here you are just going to get correct advice. I work with 5 custom home builders and 10 different "stores". As I do not do my own installs. I merely put together ideas and placement advice. Home builders are typically ignorant of home theatre. Home theatre stores are typically ignorant of "proper build". I come from a woodworking/home restoration back ground.

jamsoccer12

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeremy
the AVR is the other thing....the built in only has 5.2 inches of height for components, so the only thing I can find is the Marantz slimline series NR1403 that will fit it. Unless I somehow try to drop all the wires to the basement and go IR. Pic to come soon.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Mercy. Who designed this? That isn't even enough height for the slimline. You are supposed to leave a MINIMUM of 6" above. And that is with fan ventilation. So, even with a slimline, your height should have been 12". Any other AVR should have been 15" or more.

jamsoccer12

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeremy
Center speaker will go where candles are...
ce666756_IMG_2076.jpeg

jamsoccer12

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeremy
i know....certainly not ideal, that's why I got a powered sub. there is room in the back, which hopefully will help with ventilation.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
jamsoccer12 said:
Center speaker will go where candles are...
ce666756_IMG_2076.jpeg
Ok, that is not as bad as I feared. Still, no-where near what I would have designed. What I would do...Choose whichever center fits "the shelf" the best. Then buy "on-wall" speakers. I'd leave out ML because they don't make "on-wall". I would buy "three of these"... http://www.amazon.com/Definitive-Technology-Mythos-Center-Channel-Speaker/dp/B006UH8L8K/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1359396430&sr=1-2&keywords=definitive+technology+mythos (as you can see Amazon recommends the 3 paired with two 2. The picture, of the "bought together" already alludes to the idea of flanking the TV) I mean "three of the same speakers". Put one on the shelf. Flank the tv, vertically, with the other two. Use your existing pre-wire for an AVR with height. Here, I would suggest a Yamaha, because the Presence Mode is made to help correct issues created with this type of speaker placement.

jamsoccer12

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeremy
stupid question, but what exactly do you mean by "avr with height"? I really appreciate your help!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Height is... Audyssey DSX. NAD (I think NAD offers it), Onkyo/Integra and Denon/Marantz. DPL IIz. (Darn near everybody once you reach 7.1 AVR and a few 5.1 where there is a pre-out that can be designated Zone 2 or "height"...one of the Denon, the 1613, I think...is made this way) Yamaha Presence (they created the idea of "height" well over a decade ago) Essentially it is 5.1(you can also do 7.1 + height with a 9.1 AVR...or a 7.1 designed to do it with an extra amp) with the "extra two" placed above. In your case...which I presume the in-ceiling are 5-10 feet off the corner(I hope), the height will widen the sound stage from being stuck in a corner. Here is a good choice of AVR, because it has Dialog Lift(technically a Yamaha exclusive) and you can use Presence as well. http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/aventage/rx-a820_black_u/?mode=model

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Matter of fact, this one offers IIz... http://www.amazon.com/Marantz-NR1603-Slim-Line-Receiver/dp/B0081N916W/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1359397780&sr=1-2&keywords=marantz+slimline+receiver

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If you stick the 1603 in there, it will need fans in the back blowing across the top. You might even be able to lay one of these across the top... http://www.amazon.com/SANOXY-Laptop-Notebook-Cooler-Fans/dp/B0032R6CPK/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1359398035&sr=1-6&keywords=laptop+cooling+pad (take the feet off of it and just lay it right on top...just have to get power to it). Edit: That Saxony might be a bad choice as it needs its feet...the fans are "exposed"...But it still might be thin enough to keep its feet.

jamsoccer12

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeremy
If I were to put a fan behind the unit, do you have any suggestions for a quiet/feasible option?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks