What's new

Castle Season 7 (1 Viewer)

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Very fun episode. Castle being a private dick - ahem - really spiced things up for this episode.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
A very convoluted mystery last night, but I did figure out two things before they were revealed, and I was proud of myself for not falling into the trap that Rick fell into trusting just his eyes and not later forensic evidence.

Can't say that I'm all that thrilled with Ryan playing matchmaker for Espo. It's none of his and Jenny's business whom Espo dates or doesn't date, and boy would a friendship be strained if anyone tried to set me up on a date (or even established an online profile) without my knowledge. Worse than high school thinking.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
It was convoluted. But I liked the personal involvement the case had for Castle. And the consequences at the end. I suspect this might spell the end of his diversion to being a private eye.

The matchup Ryan set up for Espo was funny. There was a nice little smirk the Espo actor threw at the camera after he finally accepted the blind date from Ryan that was quite good.

I never noticed before but the close-up of Castle's watch was quite the little advertisement for Ball watches. I've been studying watches lately so I had to look up what those watches are. Apparently in his personal time Fillion wears a Ball watch, the model Skylab. The watch company must have known and provided the watch he wears in the series which is a smaller dressier design. This has been going for several seasons.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Agree, with the convoluted comments. By the time they got to the attorney pretty much everyone else had been ruled out. :)

While we are probably seeing the first signs of Castle dropping the Private Investigator role, the question remains how will he get back into the good graces of the NYPD? (Assuming of course that is where the show is headed. I suppose there are other options to keep him involved.)

- Walter.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
One of the more serious episodes of the season tonight, with one of the more challenging antagonists our team has faced (the tandem of 3XK and Kelly Nieman). No real surprises (the conclusion of the episode wasn't that difficult to foresee) but despite some predictability I enjoyed the cat and mouse game between the two sides. Curious to see if they are going to finally close the books on 3XK or leave an opening for another eventual reappearance.

- Walter.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Nieman must have a copy of Kate ready for the conclusion of this episode. Pretty sure there might be no conclusive end to 3XK.

It just occurred to me tonight that Kate didn't take Castle's name. Not that unusual that many women don't, but I just realized that.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I love the show, but frankly I was not overly enthused about the episode. I knew there was going to be a two-episode arc during sweeps, but I thought it might be related to Castle's disappearance and not having another cat-and-mouse encounter with these smug criminals.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
Nelson Au said:
Nieman must have a copy of Kate ready for the conclusion of this episode. Pretty sure there might be no conclusive end to 3XK.

It just occurred to me tonight that Kate didn't take Castle's name. Not that unusual that many women don't, but I just realized that.

Unless I miss your meaning; there's no reason to have a 'copy' of Kate - the reason he had copies of Javier and Lanie was to infiltrate the police station to steal his records.

Otherwise, the blond copies are simply to satisfy his bloodlust.

I like the idea of 3XK and his surgeon partner, but I also think it's run its course. There are plenty of other avenues to explore for the darker episodes.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Walter Kittel said:
One of the more serious episodes of the season tonight, with one of the more challenging antagonists our team has faced (the tandem of 3XK and Kelly Nieman).
Cool! Time to check into the show again.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
That's funny because for me it's the opposite. I enjoy this show for what it is, but for the past few seasons every time they try to do a more serialized plotline, my eyes just glaze over. I generally dislike procedurals and much prefer serialized stories... but with this show in particular, I just honestly don't care enough about any of it to remember it. I vaguely remember the 3XK thing, but it didn't stick in my memory at all. I like this show so much better when it's just fun and just a bit silly.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Joe_H said:
That's funny because for me it's the opposite. I like this show so much better when it's just fun and just a bit silly.
Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations as my all time favorite TV character was wont to express. :)

And expanding on that, Castle operates at a so much more engrossing level when they have to face an enemy of 3K's mettle. Perfect example of the adage that a hero is only as compelling as the villains he faces. And 3K pushes the Castles to their limits and beyond. As opposed to the stand alones which, while they may be fun and silly, are also not emotionally engaging or compelling for me. And are instantly forgettable.

The bit about isolating Kate was a bit weak in this episode - you think everyone would be extra cautious when dealing with 3K by now - but the rest of the episode was pretty solid and because of the villains involved - fun to watch.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
True and good points Lou.

When I said there might be a copy of Kate, I was referring to a shot shown in the previews for the conclusion of the episode. Without spoiling it, it made me think there might be a double of her. Of course the previews are full of misleading or sensational images.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I thought the conclusion of Reckoning was quite good. Nice to see Castle in commando mode throughout the episode. But he used his brains to outdo 3XK. Kind of bad to feed the audience that Castle had brought Espo and Ryan along as back-up right with scenes cut in to explain it before they take out 3XK, but satisfying.

I have to say there was an ambiguity to the scene when they find Beckett. I went to bed early so I was watching on a tiny set and didn't have a clear view of the last shot. I'll see if I can review the end via steaming, but ABC makes that harder on the new iPad app and I don't have a cable provider to unlock new episodes. Beckett looks like she killed Nieman, but I couldn't see it clearly. Or is Nieman taking over as Beckett? I don't think so, but I have a small bit of doubt.

There was a duplicate of Beckett early on that was killed to rattle Castle.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Clearly she killed the crazy doc lady.

But man you really had to suspend belief a LOT in this episode. Kate miraculously unscrewing her medical table just in the knick of time. Then the whole ending to 3XK....as if he would stand there frozen in his tracks when Castle is giving the shot command etc.

I'm glad they're done with this story line but it looks like they are going for the over the top goofy stuff yet again next week.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
This entire two-episode arc underwhelmed me. I never like super criminals on these procedurals; I never seem to be able to get with the tone of the show. Instead of being caught up in the tension and drive of pursuit, I sit back and resent the writers being able to make these masterminds clairvoyant, have unlimited funds and time to plan far ahead for their schemes to succeed and be able to do things that in reality just aren't possible, and their being so smug that they are always in control while everyone else to a person flounders around helplessly.

The only good thing about the entire arc is that Castle has now been reinstated at the precinct.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Matt Hough said:
The only good thing about the entire arc is that Castle has now been reinstated at the precinct.
Heh. My biggest beef with the episode. Why couldn't Castle stay a PI? It brought something new to the mix. Now it's going back to the same old, same old.

Surprised they closed off this arc. Now they only have Castle's father - which I assume will tie into Castle's disappearance - to up the ante and break away from the weekly forgettable case of the week installments they have been churning out.

That's OK - plenty of other shows to watch but this marks the final chapter of Castle for me.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I was kind of underwhelmed by the conclusion of the two parter. I think I liked the setup a bit more than the conclusion.

No surprise that Ryan and Esposito had Castle's back when he was under duress. It was just a question of when the show would tip its hand.

So I guess Beckett used the scalpel to get her other hand free? Seemed like the crazy doctor would still have the upper hand on someone who only had one hand free.

Happy to see the show returning to a lighter tone next week (if the previews are any indication.)

- Walter.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I came across a Castle fan site that has screen caps from episodes, amazingly captures from every other frame it seems.

So I found the one I wasn't able to see clearly. And it does show Kate standing over the body of presumably crazy Dr. Nieman. Perhaps later episodes will have flashbacks of her struggle with the Doctor and killing her that haunt Kate.
image.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks