What's new

Cartoons you want on DVD (1 Viewer)

Bob Black

Stunt Coordinator
Patrick,
You are correct about Fred Quimby retiring from MGM in 1955 and leaving the MGM cartoon division in the hands of Bill Hannah and Joe Barbera. However, Hanna and Barbera were always the creators behind "Tom and Jerry" even when Quimby was producer. I agree that the Tom and Jerry shorts would be INCREDIBLE in OAR! I always owned the boxed sets on LD, but they were always cropped to 4:3.
Besides these shorts, I would LOVE series of Hanna / Barbera boxed sets on DVD such as these:
"Superhero" collection - Jonny Quest, The Herculoids, Birdman, Moby Dick, The Mighty Mightor, Shazzan, Frankenstein Jr., The Galaxy Trio, David & Goliath, The Impossibles, Godzilla, Jana Of the Jungle
"The Flintstones" - complete series
"Mystery-Seekers" collection - Scooby-Doo, Hong Kong Phooie, Speed Buggy, Inch High, Private Eye, Clue Club, The Funky Phantom, Goober & The Ghostchasers, etc.
"Yogi's Gang" collection - Yogi Bear, Huckleberry Hound, Ruff and Reddy, Pixie and Dixie, Quick Draw McGraw, Snooper and Blabber, Magilla Gorilla, Augie Doggy and Doggy Daddy, Wally Gator, Hokey Wolf, Breezly and Sneezly, Snagglepuss, Lippy the Lion and Hardy Har Har, Touche Turtle, Squiddly Diddly, Atom Ant, Yippee, Yappee, and Yahooie, It's The Wolf, Petyer Potamous, The Hillbilly Bears, Punkinpuss & Mushmouse, etc. (might need to break these up into 2 sets)
And I would also like to see other great HB cartoons like The Wacky Races, The Perils Of Penelope Pitstop, Yogi's Gang, Scooby's All-Star Laff-A-Lympics, Dastardly & Muttley In Their Flying Machines, Top Cat, The Jetsons, The Smurfs.
And also an OAR release of the feature-length film, "Hey There, It's Yogi Bear"
(Can you tell I grew up with Hanna Barbera cartoons) ;)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
"The Flintstones" - complete series
"Mystery-Seekers" collection - Scooby-Doo, Hong Kong Phooie, Speed Buggy, Inch High, Private Eye, Clue Club, The Funky Phantom, Goober & The Ghostchasers, etc.
I'm not sure how you can separate Flintstones, but lump Scooby into a pile with a bunch of other series.
Flintstones had around 160-170 episodes all told. In the various versions, Scooby has had twice that amount, well over 300! And that's not counting the new episodes being made for the brand-new series! Its also not counting made-for-home-video stuff ("Scooby Goes Hollywood" through the upcoming "Scooby and the Legend of the Vampire") and a handful of TV specials. Also note that for some incarnations of Scooby, the show went to an hour-long format.
Methinks Scooby would need more breathing room that that! :D Rooby-rooby-rooooo!!!

Bob Black

Stunt Coordinator
David,

I didn't expect entire series out of any of these shows - just The Flintstones set. I was thinking they could pick the better episodes for inclusion in such compilation sets! Scooby Doo & The Flintstones had so many different shows (eg. Scooby Doo Where Are You? [1969], New Scooby Doo Movies [1972], Scooby Doo/Dynomutt Hour [1976], Scooby's All Star Laff-A-Lympics [1977], Scooby & Scrappy Doo [1979], etc.)

With "The Flintstones" I was thinking they could release all 166 ORIGINAL episodes in some type of boxed set series! Since they already had released many of these episodes on LD years ago (which I still own) I would think they wouldn't hesitate to release them on DVD. My personal opinion is that they should release full sets of only their prime-time shows (Flinstones, Jetsons, Top Cat, Jonny Quest) since there are just SO MANY episodes of the Saturday morning stuff!

But Dave, wouldn't you LOVE a superhero set with The Herculoids, Jonny Quest, Birdman, etc.? I still own a mint copy of the first comic book titled, "Hanna Barbera's Super TV Heroes" featuring these shows, and it's awesome!

James Reader

Screenwriter
Methinks Scooby would need more breathing room that that! Rooby-rooby-rooooo!!!
Don't worry David, Warners will never get around to releasing more than say, 30 Scooby Doo episodes given their tendency to release duplicates on their DVD selections...
and don't forget Scooby Doo and the Monster of Mexico coming out after The Legend of the Vampire.
I'd like to see House Of Mouse - I can't believe more people aren't asking for this... smart, knowing, witty, full of slapstick and shows many of the classic 'Disney' gang in characterizations closer to their original conceptions then they have been for the past 3 or 4 decades. Mickey actually gets angry in this cartoons.
House of Mouse is IMOHO easily the pick of all Disney made-for-television animation. Shame the two DTV House of Mouse releases haven't shown anything close to the wit of the series.
(and while I'm at it... why create DTV House of Mouse in the first place and animate new linking scenes/write new songs etc when Disney could release a Season set? - Aren't Disney supposed to be desperate for money at the moment?)

Ryan FB

Second Unit
TailSpin
DuckTales
Chip n' Dale Rescue Rangers
Animaniacs
Tiny Toon Adventures
all the Looney Tunes
all the Tom & Jerry
Rocky & Bullwinkle (heck, if they're going to release that insult of a movie on DVD, they should at least release the original shows to show how funny it actually was)
Darkwing Duck
TMNT
Pinky & the Brain
Rocko's Modern Life
EEK! The Cat
Ren & Stimpy
The videogame based cartoons (There was a Super Mario Bros. one and I seem to recall seeing a Sonic one as well...)
Sam & Max
The Tick
Wild C.A.T.S. (am I the only one who remembers this show?)
X-Men
Spawn animated (might be various incarnations of this, I stopped following Spawn a while back but I think there was a HBO animated series...never saw any of em but would like to (as long as they're better than the movie))
Garfield & Friends (can't believe nobody's mentioned this yet!!!)
I would buy all of these if they were to come out on DVD.
Seems like a lot of requests/wants are showing up quite frequently...the studios would be wise to listen ;) :D

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
I'm a little suprised that it hasn't been listed yet. But one on the top of my wanted list is The Phantom Tollbooth.
116262.jpg

Next is Rock and Rule followed by The Last Unicorn. Rock and Rule was being looked at by MGM for a DVD release but something fell through and was put on hold. :angry: Here is a link to a good site regarding Rock and Rule.
poster.jpg

The Rock and Rule Homepage
Dean

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
I really want to see The Flintstones (season format), The Jetsons (season format) & all of the scooby doo cartoons on DVD (I want these cartoons real bad)

Larry P

Stunt Coordinator
Rankin-Bass's The Flight of Dragons.

Galaxy Rangers.

Dragon's Lair animated tv series.

Space Ace animated tv series.

Dungeons & Dragons.

Dudley Do Right.

Jetsons the movie.

Bakshi's Street Fight.

Charles Ms

Stunt Coordinator
Wartime Toons Compilation DVD:
Ducktators (1942)[Warner Bros.]
Ducktators.gif

Der Fuehrers Face (1943)[Disney]
derfuehrersface.jpg

Is there any information on its inclusion on the upcoming Disney Treasures Wartoons DVD ?

Patrick McCart

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
There will be a "wartime cartoons" DVD from Disney featuring only Disney cartoons.

But don't expect anything from Warner's library on a DVD with Disney's cartoons. They're working on their own DVDs and will likely have some WWII cartoons.

Watch out for Memorial Day... Cartoon Network might show the "Wartime Cartoons" special again (consisting of Blitz Wolf, Russian Rhapsody, Herr Meets Hare, and Scrap Happy Daffy...plus a ton of clips from others, including The Ducktators.)

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Has anyone heard of Dogtanian and the Three Muskehounds ?

As series I loved and it seems a DVD release is going to happen, at least in R2.

I also want Dungeons & Dragons.

Charles Ms

Stunt Coordinator
@PatrickMcCart:

Just to put it right - My question regarding the Disney "wartime cartoons" DVD meant the inclusion of "Der Fuehrer's Face" (a Disney production from 1943) and not "The Ducktators".

So is there any chance we will see that("Der Fuehrer's Face") on the upcoming Disney Treasures Wartime Cartoons DVD ?

Matt<>Broon

Stunt Coordinator
Mysterious Cities of Gold.

The Moomins.

The Tick.

Oh there's a host of them.. But MCOG definitely.

They just don't make em like that anymore (except in Japan).

Matt Selaya

Auditioning
All of these have been mentioned before, but just to add my vote:

Duckman

The Tick

Space Ghost Coast to Coast

Ren & Stimpy

Animaniacs

Pinky & The Brain

and, of course, Batman TAS season sets.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimmyboombotts
Recent bookmarks