What's new

Cannon And Others Coming Back Courtesy Of VEI (1 Viewer)

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Fan Collector: The episodes of Season 2+3 (Matt Houston) go around 46:30 minutes?

If I´m not wrong the episodes of Season 1 (CBS/Paramount HD remastered) go around 49 minutes.

That would mean that the episodes of Season 2 and 3 would be cut by 2,5 minutes.

God, I hate Mill Creek.

It's VEI this time, but still frustrating. I do think CBS is probably the real culprit, though.

Again, they may be cut or they may be timesped. Unlike Barnaby Jones, where the cuts were very obvious, these run smoother.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
I hope Matt Houston S2 transfers (and others to come) are time sped...at the usual 4% factor, that would account for 2 minutes off original running time...as much as I hate time sped transfers, (as in Combat!, groan) they're preferable over edits...

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
No bad discs thus far, but I haven't played them all yet. The set does come with a slip of paper inside which guarantees the quality of the product and gives instructions for exchanging or replacing any defective discs.

Scott511

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
No bad discs thus far, but I haven't played them all yet. The set does come with a slip of paper inside which guarantees the quality of the product and gives instructions for exchanging or replacing any defective discs.

That's excellent news, good luck with the rest.

I'm glad they've started to put instructions for defective discs in the sets.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I have the Matt Houston set. The first season is the same as the CBS release. The second and third seasons have prints that were probably used for cable airings. They aren't in terrible shape, but they certainly haven't been remastered for this release. They run about 46:30, which is short. They might be cut, although it's much smoother than Barnaby Jones; they may be timesped.

The second season premiere, on the other hand, is the full 90-minute version (72 without commercials), rather than the weirdly padded two-hour rerun version.

The packaging on this Matt Houston release (this being a 3-season ABC series)-- is it just three individual keepcases in a box (as was done for VEI's all-in-one release of Hardcastle & McCormick, another 3-season ABC series)?

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I don't have the Hardcastle set, but yes, the Matt Houston set is three separate season cases in a slipcase. It's not the closed box that they used for Barnaby Jones and The Equalizer, among others.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I don't have the Hardcastle set, but yes, the Matt Houston set is three separate season cases in a slipcase. It's not the closed box that they used for Barnaby Jones and The Equalizer, among others.

Thank you very much! That's just what I was asking about. I have the all-in-one Hotel release, and all 5 seasons' worth of that 1983-88 ABC Aaron Spelling series w/James Brolin are presented in that same manner (five seasonal keepcases in a big box).

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I guess I'd go for The Magician since I've never watched it even if it's edited episodes. Who knows what to expect at this point. Maybe they caught backlash over the Barnaby Jones debacle and they're working on unedited masters.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I guess I'd go for The Magician since I've never watched it even if it's edited episodes. Who knows what to expect at this point. Maybe they caught backlash over the Barnaby Jones debacle and they're working on unedited masters.

They will put out whatever CBS gives them. Since The Magician was remastered for SciFi Channel, there should be uncut sources made available to them. Barnaby Jones I'm sure were old Worldvision one-inch transfers.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
They will put out whatever CBS gives them. Since The Magician was remastered for SciFi Channel, there should be uncut sources made available to them. Barnaby Jones I'm sure were old Worldvision one-inch transfers.
One can always hope! Lol!!! I'm looking forward to The Magician as I've watched a part of only one episode back on TV Bland years ago. I've always been a Bixby fan.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
Thanks for the heads-up. I immediately pre-ordered and am so glad I waited. I knew the price would go way down eventually.

Skywalker79

Auditioning
Real Name
Justin
VEI has a new edition of the Complete "Hotel" Collection coming in December for a very nice price. Cover art is up on Amazon's product page. I wonder if the packaging has changed for this release.

https://www.amazon.com/Hotel-Complete-Collection/dp/B01LTHOP8K/ref=sr_1_31?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1479193574&sr=1-31&keywords=complete+series&refinements=p_n_date:2693529011

VEI has re-released a couple of Complete Series sets recently at a much lower price including Grace Under Fire and The Equalizer. Also Cannon, which is coming out in December. I bought the Equalizer set a few weeks ago for only $29.99. It's a great deal, however half the discs had 6 episodes on them and no bonus features. I didn't notice any problems with compression or video quality. I'm not sure about the other shows, but I would guess they probably put more episodes on the discs as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Cannon-Compl...&refinements=p_n_format_browse-bin:2650304011

https://www.amazon.com/Grace-Under-...&refinements=p_n_format_browse-bin:2650304011

https://www.amazon.com/Equalizer-Co...&refinements=p_n_format_browse-bin:2650304011

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
VEI has re-released a couple of Complete Series sets recently at a much lower price including Grace Under Fire and The Equalizer. Also Cannon, which is coming out in December. I bought the Equalizer set a few weeks ago for only $29.99. It's a great deal, however half the discs had 6 episodes on them and no bonus features. I didn't notice any problems with compression or video quality. I'm not sure about the other shows, but I would guess they probably put more episodes on the discs as well.
https://www.amazon.com/Equalizer-Complete-Collection-Edward-Woodward/dp/B01LWQNC93/ref=sr_1_6?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1479236525&sr=1-6&keywords=visual+entertainment+inc&refinements=p_n_format_browse-bin:2650304011

How are the discs stored in this new set? Are they cardboard sleeves like Millcreek's sets? Just curious--I can live with cheaper packaging if it means a cheaper price

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks