What's new

Cannon And Others Coming Back Courtesy Of VEI (1 Viewer)

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Ron1973 said:
If truly this was all they could do, fine. I'm not faulting VEI if Constantly Being Stalled wouldn't turn over elements that were unedited. I hear of people saying that Barnaby was available on overseas stations unedited since they have obtained copies of such, plus the syndication bible says unedited versions are available for syndication, so it still seems VEI wasn't doing their due diligence. With that being said, if VEI had simply said "some episodes are syndicated versions, we were unable to procure them in their night of broadcast form," I don't think anyone would be kvetching. As it stands, I will vote with my dollars to let VEI know that is not acceptable practice.

There are lots of suppositions in this thread with very few statements that anyone can guarantee as fact. No one here knows what was in the agreement, what CBS actually had available, how hard they searched, what shape things were in, so why should anyone be qualified to state blame one way or another. Could VEI have stated edited episodes? Yes, you can fault them there even though it is not exactly an uncommon thing done from a business perspective. Yes, everyone should vote for what they believe in with their dollars. But does it need to Constantly Be Stated (CBS) in this thread? The concept is general enough and goes across distributors so why not start a new thread specific to it? What value is there to keep putting down the release in this thread every time some one happens to mention they are happy with it.

Analogy, we all basically want our favorites released yet we generally try to be happy for others when theirs is released even while we continue to wait and hope for our own. Many here are happy to get what they could yet some feel the need to continue to bash and state that if it couldn't have been done better it shouldn't have been done at all. Isn't that a bit selfish. Ron, how would you feel if I joined into every BH thread and said "you know what I'm not really a fan, if not releasing BH helps get something I want out the door, then I hope it continues to be stalled". I'm sure in that event you would have some very choice words for me in response. The release is out, many are happy about it. Why can't others just let it be? Sheesh.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
It's gettin a little old if you ask me Same points being hammered into the ground over and over again. If you don't like it....how about this, DON'T BUY IT. It's your own perrogative. I for one thank VEI for putting out this stuff that most likely wasn't ever going to see the light of day. In case you guys haven't noticed, CBS is all but out of the classic DVD business, unless you count the umpteenth repackaging of Lucy or the the SUPER SUPER box set of ..........fill in the title of a show they have already done.

CBS was NEVER going to put these shows back in their release rotation.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
smithbrad said:
This thread should be more informational about future VEI releases from the CBS licensing agreement, and what issues people are finding that actually own the disks. But considered it noted, there are a bunch of people that think this release never should have happened at all, while others are happy it did. Time to move on, hopefully.

Here, Here! In agreement!

I don't like cut releases any more than anybody else, but if people want to keep discussing this issue, they need to create a separate thread, maybe titled Canon on DVD: edited! or some such.

The title (and I assume intended purpose) of THIS thread should simply be for info on new releases, not rehashing the same old arguments about one licenced property.

phenri

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
It's gettin a little old if you ask me Same points being hammered into the ground over and over again. If you don't like it....how about this, DON'T BUY IT. It's your own perrogative. I for one thank VEI for putting out this stuff that most likely wasn't ever going to see the light of day. In case you guys haven't noticed, CBS is all but out of the classic DVD business, unless you count the umpteenth repackaging of Lucy or the the SUPER SUPER box set of ..........fill in the title of a show they have already done.
CBS was NEVER going to put these shows back in their release rotation.
There is no guarantee that VEI could ever have received unedited prints from CBS. Some will argue this until they are blue in the face, but there is no evidence. Those of us who love the show just want to enjoy what we can get. The alternative is nothing, so fans of the show who will only settle for unedited prints can enjoy nothing.

CBS was not going to go to any effort to release this show. I wouldn't trust them to release any new classic TV on DVD going forward.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Guys, my apologies! I got carried away, something I don't normally do. It won't happen again!

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Here, Here! In agreement!

I don't like cut releases any more than anybody else, but if people want to keep discussing this issue, they need to create a separate thread, maybe titled Canon on DVD: edited! or some such.

The title (and I assume intended purpose) of THIS thread should simply be for info on new releases, not rehashing the same old arguments about one licenced property.[/

Actually Cannon was released apparently with mostly if not all complete episodes! Barnaby Jones is the show released with the cut episodes!

Take Care!
Robert

Walsh61

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Garth Lough
I completely agree with Ron1973.

For me, I would have liked to see Cannon get a better release. But I'm happy for those who are getting the shows they wanted released through VEI.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
This is a double post of something that I posted in the specific thread about Barnaby Jones, but the member named "hypnohighball" called my attention to that fact that it was a thread about Barnaby Jones, so it's going to go here now. It's the fronts and backs of the individual seasonal cases within that Hotel release.

Attachments

• hotel1.jpg
    hotel1.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 65
  • hotel2.jpg
    hotel2.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 82
  • hotel3.jpg
    hotel3.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 85
  • hotel4.jpg
    hotel4.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 87
  • hotel5.jpg
    hotel5.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 80

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Wow! You mean yet another company is releasing shows or seasons of shows I bought years ago? Be still my heart.....

Seriously, why not just start with the unreleased season 4 like they did by beginning with season 3 of Mod Squad? What's the point.

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
Seriously, why not just start with the unreleased season 4 like they did by beginning with season 3 of Mod Squad? What's the point.

The point is that the Paramount releases have been discontinued and are out of print. VEI has decided to re-release the first two seasons so they are available for those who might not have bought them the first time around. I am sure they will eventually release the remaining seasons as well. A bonus here is that these are complete season sets, whereas CBS released seasons 1&2 as split jobs with their famous volume releases.

On another note, expect VEI to do the same with the other Paramount shows they have released, namely re-releasing previously released seasons. CBS discontinued their releases for all shows that they licensed out to VEI.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
VEI seems to like to milk their releases for all they're worth, so I would soon expect to be seeing individual releases for Barnaby and Hotel.

mattfire64

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew
Has anybody on here bought VEI's release of The Sentinel yet? I have been thinking of getting it, but I am wondering if there are any issues with the set, such as poor picture quality or glitchy discs.

Skywalker79

Auditioning
Real Name
Justin
I was at amazon and noticed that Cannon Seasons 3, 4 and 5 will be released individually in May. Seasons 3 and 4 will be released on May 6 and Season 5 comes out on May 27. I also did a search for Barnaby Jones and found out that Season 2 will be released next week on April 22.

http://www.amazon.com/Cannon-Season...1460823176&sr=1-11&keywords=cannon+season+dvd

http://www.amazon.com/Cannon-Season...1460823176&sr=1-12&keywords=cannon+season+dvd

http://www.amazon.com/Cannon-Season...1460823176&sr=1-10&keywords=cannon+season+dvd

http://www.amazon.com/Barnaby-Jones...&qid=1460823408&sr=1-8&keywords=barnaby+jones

Ferdinand Hudson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ronnie
Your post made me look up the individual seasons of The Sentinel, turns out Season 2 was issued on March 25 while Season 3 and Season 4 are due out on May 6. Seconding Matthew's inquiry regarding any quality issues pertaining to The Sentinel discs. Anyone know and care to divulge?

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
Just received my BARNABY JONES Complete Series set a couple days ago ($99 on Amazon!) and noticed something quite interesting when I went to view the CANNON "Deadly Conspiracy" cross-over on Season 4:

Part 1 of "The Deadly Conspiracy", the CANNON episode, has a digitally remastered transfer that looks simply amazing, a la the gorgeous remastering done on CBS DVD's BARNABY JONES Season 1 and many other CBS DVD shows. Run time is just shy of 51 minutes. Now what's odd about this is that on the CANNON Complete Series set, the alternate version of this episode that is self-contained has not been remastered at all, looks like the usual muddy, scratched transfer. So if you ever wondered what a digitally remastered CANNON might look like, here's your chance to see one.

Part 2 of "The Deadly Conspiracy", the BARNABY JONES episode and season 4 premiere, has also been digitally remastered and looks amazing, like the Season 1 episodes, and has a run time just shy of 50 minutes. However, the remaining Season 4 BARNABY JONES episodes are the usual non-remastered transfers.

On a side note, the non-remastered BARNABY transfers from seasons 2-8 do generally seem to look better than the non-remastered CANNON transfers.

bronson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adrian
I think you´re the first one who said that there are at least 2 episodes of "Barnaby Jones" who looked as great as the Season 1 set.

Pathfiner

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
Has anyone got the latest individual seasons 4 and 5 of Cannon ?

if so are these latest sets now 'glitch free' ?

I have read how season 4 is full of issues in the complete seasons set with 8 minutes 'not encrypted' on one season 4 episode, plus other episodes 'freezing up' etc which put me off that release !

I already have seasons 1 to 3 thus only need seasons 4 and 5 plus 'The Return of Frank Cannon'

I'm not bothered if the picture looks like an old seventies show (it is) as opposed to mega crystal clear state of the art whatever...just as long as the episodes play o.k. !

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks