What's new

Canadian release Versus U.S. release Blu Ray (1 Viewer)

Rolando

Screenwriter
Hello everyone,

Many might not remember but back in the days of DVD, yes way back then, I had a thread of Canadian VS US release of DVDs. It was a constantly updated first post where many joined in and posted discoveries made in the variations between a same title but from a Canadian distributor even though it had the same regoin code 1.

For example DVD release of Good Will Hunting and Train Spotting were "enhanced for 16:9 TVs" here in Canada but the U.S. DVD release were not. We got the uncut version of Scream with extra gore in first death while U.S. got edited version.

U.S. got a Monsters Inc with an effect only track but Canada got a French track instead (how stupid). Actually many DVDs, like releases of Running Man and Stir Of Echoes, lost the much missed DTS track in order to add a French track here in Canada forcing may of us to import from U.S.

Long story short is I want to ask:

Is there a need for such a thread for BD?

I am willing to again update the first post with a list if need be. However I am not sure if there is a need. I assume with the space in BD all tracks should be present but I am not "in the scene" as I was before. am not on the boards or stores like I was with DVD. Despite passing the 1000 DVD purchase (like most here) I am not sure I will even reach the 200 mark with BD anytime soon.

Question was born from a doubt and I hope you guys can answer it:

Is the BD release of The Lord Of The Rings trilogy the same in Canada and US?

Movie is ditributed by Alliance here and they were the WORSE for these kinds of change. Matter of fact the LOTR releases lost the English stereo track to make room for a French track and we got regular black cases instead of three different colors as in the US.

In case there is a need for a list I will start with the only one I seem to have found:

• From Dusk 'Till Dawn: French in the menu
  • Ghost Writer: The Canadian version of The Ghost Writer has the uncut version and is presented on a single sided disc whereas the U.S got the PG-13 version on a dual sided "combo" disc.

• Sin City: French in the menu

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I think such a list would be useful, and could also include titles available in Canada that aren't out in the US, hopefully with some comments on the quality. Alliance has a bunch of films out that don't have US counterparts, a couple of which are Heavenly Creatures and Bridget Jones' Diary.

gomezfan69

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
jason stocker
They do have a similar thread over at bluray.com but I don't see why we shouldn't have one over here as well.

Some things to consider if you decide to go on with the thread:

The Canadian version of The Ghost Writer has the uncut version and is presented on a single sided disc whereas the U.S got the PG-13 version on a dual sided "combo" disc.

Some titles I own that are Canadian only include: Cold Mountain, The Faculty, From Dusk Til Dawn, Final Destination 3, Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning and The Butterfly Effect. I think they all look pretty good (even TCM:TB which is unfortunately 1080i). I've heard that the Heavenly Creatures and Scream discs available only in Canada are not so good.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
This thread reminded me of something ... if you happen to have one of Tiger Direct's outlet stores in your area (they took over the CompUSA name in my neck of the woods), they have some of the Alliance Blu-rays on sale in store. I picked up MAGNOLIA for $14.99 and thankfully online sources seem to indicate the content is exactly the same as the Warner/New Line version. I saw FROM DUSK TIL DAWN in the batch but did not bite (no pun intended).

Rolando

Screenwriter
Hello Guys,

I will update the first post with info on Ghost Writer. I also saw the Scream Trilogy instore and looks like it is 1080i. Wow, talk about a cash grab. Probably some old transfer just thrown out there for a quick buck.

Has anybody taken the time to contact Alliance Atlantis Canada about this? Do these guys even care? I remember the frustration I used to go through with these people in the times of DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks