What's new

Can someone tell me how to identify the "corrected" DTS version of Jurassic Park? (1 Viewer)

greg_t

Screenwriter
On U571, the DTS soundtrack's LFE is 4db higher than the LFE on the Dolby Digital soundtrack. No one really knows which version is actually correct. Many feel that the DTS is too high, since it hadn't been long since the screw up with JP DTS being 4db too low. But then again this time it could be the Dolby track being 4db too low. I personally feel the DTS track is more accurate to my theatrical experience seeing U571. So basically, we don't really know which is the more accurate, but the LFE is 4db higher on the DTS than on the DD in the LFE channel on the U-571 dvd.

ChrisJefferys

Stunt Coordinator
I've got a DTS JP DVD which I'm having trouble classifying according to what I've read here and elsewhere. The disk itself says *neither* D2R1 nor D2R2, and the box on the back has a black boarder, not red. I've looked at the hub carefully many times, and have seen many letters and numbers, but no D2Rx at all. I don't have it with me right now, so I can't say everything that was on there, but I do clearly recall "PEMC" and a lone "22", as well as long strings of letters/numbers which I assume are a product code of some sort
I forgot to mention in my previous post that I could not find any kind of "D2Rx" number either on the disc. It should be among all the other numbers and such on the hub, right? That "PEMC" sounds familiar to me as well, but no D2Rx number. Like I said earlier, it was the red grid on the back of the case that told me I had the right one (and of course, after listening to the disc there was no doubt).
Strange.

David_Rivshin

Second Unit
OK, here is what I see on the hub of my copy:

In the outer silver part (looking from the data side):
IFPI LL07 B01K1903 BB-207871 PEMC 22 (long barcode)
IFPI LL06 A01K1320 BB-207871 PEMC 02 (long barcode)

Funny thing is the "top" line of that is also printed on the label side as a reversed mirror image, as if it was bleeding through. But, as best I can tell it is actually printed on the label side again, and the "bottom" line is not. I find that fairly strange.

In the clear part of the hub (on data side):
IFPI 2A81 MUMS IL MADE IN USA

In the clear part of the hub (on label side):
IFPI 2A78

Unless I've gone blind there isn't anything else written on either side of the hub.

Any clues?

Jon D

Stunt Coordinator
Dave,
On my disc, the D2R2 label is on the 'silver ring' as you called it, except it was on the label side, not the data. Of course, listening to it *is* always a good way to find out :D . BTW, I just remembered. If you stick the disc in a DVD-ROM drive and check the modification dates on any of the folders on it, the repressing has a date of November 2000, as opposed to the original's July.

Jenna

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeanette Howard
Well, I totally missed this controversy the first go round...and never realized there was a problem with the DTS version. Luckily, the DTS disc that I purchased at BestBuy July '02 has the red grid on the back and is an D2R2 disc! Phew! One less problem to deal with....today.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Dan, I'd be more annoyed at the place where you bought the defective disc, for selling *really* old stock. Was it a reputable place, or one that *might* get old stock from distributors and mark it up? I've seen lots of DVD places selling old versions of DVD's at full price, for those who don't know any better. I bought my copy of JP dts at Wal-Mart at least 18 months ago and it was the new version even. FWIW, my disc does NOT have any DxRx mark on it, package has the red grid, and more important, LFE.

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
I bought it from Tower records in Schaumburg Illinois. They're a pretty big retailer and they have stores all over the country. I guess they have some big warehouses with lots of product sitting in them. They charge way to much for %90 of their dvds so it doesn't suprise me that they have so much old stuff sitting around.

Dan.B

Craig W

Second Unit
If you can't find the D2R2 marking and have a DVD-ROM drive, then just check the date of the VOB files on the disk. The original disk had July 2000 dates and the corrected version has November 2000 dates.

Brian Cal

Stunt Coordinator
I live in the same area as Dan, and today I went to four major retailers including the Schaumburg Best Buy (across the street from Tower Records). ALL of them were carrying what appeared to be the defective version (black border). :angry:

Jim-M

Second Unit
I also have one of the copies that has neither D2R1 or D2R2 on the inner ring, just PEMC. I just checked the timestamps on the files on the disc and they have November dates so it looks like these ones are OK. Thanks Craig W for suggesting to look at the file times.

David_Rivshin

Second Unit
Sorry to bring this up again, but I figured I should finally update my story since I just checked the dates on my copy. All the files on my DVD are time stamped as 11/14/200 11:19PM,
so it looks like I'm all set :)
My guess is that the '22' on the disc has the same meaning as D2R2. Perhaps different factories have slightly different labels they put on the disc.

Thanks to everyone for the info :)
-- Dave

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
For the person that inquired about Columbia House, they just stuck me with a D2R0 in June. I believe that predates the D2R1 even. Looks like I have to do the exchange.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
I just got mine from CH today. It was one of the PEMC ones, but it had the red border on the back and boy-oh-boy, did the LFE on this sound better than my current DD!!!

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Glad you got a good one-I guess they have old and new stock, since I remember someone I know getting a corrected copy last year from CH.

Alex_P

Stunt Coordinator
I didn't even know that there's a bad dts version. I just checked a copy of my JP dts version. Unfortunately, I got the bad one :angry: Do you guys think that they will offer an exchange? I just emailed them. Hope they'll reply.

Alex,

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
I didn't even know that there's a bad dts version. I just checked a copy of my JP dts version. Unfortunately, I got the bad one Do you guys think that they will offer an exchange? I just emailed them. Hope they'll reply.
Alex P:

If they don't respond to the e-mail try giving them a call at this number (972)293-5903. This is the number I called last year to get the address for the exchange for my Jurassic Park DTS Disc. Here was the address:

Universal Home Video
Jurassic Park Exchange Program
PO Box 224468
Dallas, Texas 75260.

Hope this helps.

Joe

Alex_P

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you Joe for the info. They replied me already. The replacement offer is still good. They asked me to send them that bad disc to the PO Box above. Thank you once again...

Alex,

Alex_P

Stunt Coordinator
Darren,

I originally bought the movie mainly for demo. I like the story as well. After I played it, it seemed to be pretty normal, nothing impressive about it. After about 3 months, I did a search on here for demo dvd. I'd noticed that the title is "Jurassic Park (remix)", so I figured that there's probably another version of it. After searching about it further, I realized that I have a bad disc :frowning: Fortunately, I still can get a replacement of it... I'll send my bad disc tomorrow. And it's all up to another waiting game :angry: Thanks all for the help...

Alex,

Darren Haycock

Second Unit
Yeah, it's good that they're still offering to exchange. I knew about it beforehand, so I was able to pick up the correct disc. I forgot about the thunderous intro. My subwoofer sure reminded me... :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks