What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Can someone tell me how to identify the "corrected" DTS version of Jurassic Park? (1 Viewer)

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
I've heard there were some problems with the original releases of Jurassic Park with DTS. Thanks for any help.

Dan.B

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
So in other words if I bought the DTS version in a store today I should be getting the corrected version, right? Or is Universal taking the same pathetic approach as they did with Back to the Future. "we'll just sell the screwed up version to everyone who doesn't know better".

Dan.B

Jon D

Stunt Coordinator
Dan,
If you bought a JP DTS disc today, it would be very likely that you'd get the remastered version, in fact about 99% likely. This whole issue happened nearly two years ago, and even stores that had dozens of copies of the old version would be out of it by now. But as always, check the inner hub, because stranger things have happened.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Definitely check. These threads pop up on a near weekly basis and people are still getting the old, defective version. There was never an official recall, so all the stock that was originally shipped is still out there working through the retail system.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Dang! I still have the old unfixed disc. You think Universal is still honoring the exchange policy?

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
They are, but don't expect to see the darn thing back for two months!
Only took a 17 day turn around for my Jurassic Park exchange back in April. Bought it on the 23rd. Dropped it in the mail on the 24th. May 12th UPS shows up with my corrected disc. :D :D :D

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
This sucks!!!! I hit my local Tower Records yesterday looking for the DTS Jurassic Park. I find they have 2 copies and both have a sticker on the front advertising the new Hulk movie. I look all over the box hoping to see this "grid" thats mentioned in the other thread and the D2R2 flag. Well, unfortunately for me I didn't write down the exact D2R2 thing I was looking for. I just figured i'd see the D2 and figure out it was the new one. I saw NOTHING on the outside of the box indicating this. I also figured since the HULK sticker was on the front this was likely a NEWLY PRESSED COPY. After buying it and opening it I looked at the disk and it had D2R1 on it! I thought that made sense because in my mind I was thinking it meant Disk (version 2) and Region 1. It all made sense and I couldn't remember exactly what I had read in this thread. So, I thought I was all good. Now, I get to work and check it out again to find that D2R2 is the corrected version!

What kind of crap is this?!? I'm already fuming over Universal's handeling of the Back to the Future Trilogy and now this! What's wrong with these people?!?!? Do they just not give a damn or what?!?!? They release faulty product and they then have the balls to let it sit on shelves for months and only offer to fix their mistake for those who actually know about it? That has got to be one of the most arrogant policies i've ever seen from a movie company! This problem was realized a year ago and I just bought a faulty copy on July 10th 2003? That is just unbelievable!!!!!

Dan.B

Jon D

Stunt Coordinator
Hmm, guess I spoke too soon on the likelyhood of recieving a remastered version simply on the fact that this happened so long ago. I went out about two weeks after the remastered disc was released, and I had no problem finding it. BTW, I have never seen a JP disc with a red grid, and aside from the hub numbers *on the disc* there are NO obvious signs to identify the repressing. This means that it's virtually impossible to tell by the packaging (it will not say D2R2, or version 2, or anything else). You have to visually inspect the disc itself to know for sure.

Universal's policy is not very user friendly, but it does make sense from a buisness perspective. Why spend the money for a full out recall when only a relatively small percentage of the audience knows about the problem? There are probably thousands of people that own the original DTS disc, but have no idea that it's incorrect because they never visit sites like this. Same thing with the BTTF set. I'm not justifying their policies, just playing Devil's advocate.:b

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
Well, let me ask this. Does my DTS disk still have a fully working Dolby Digital track? Also, how weak is the bass on the DTS track? Is it pathetic or just a little weaker than it should be? I might still be wrong about what numbers I saw on my disk last night. I'm almost sure I saw D2R1 though. :frowning: I'll surely check when I get home tonight. I'll probably even watch the movie tonight and see what the DTS track sounds like.

Dan.B

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Yes, but it's probably only 2.0 which is usually what was included on those separate DTS releases just to meet spec.

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
I am just steaming about this. :angry: I don't know what I should do. I think I might have even thrown out my receipt last night which was really dumb. :frowning: After all the crap i've gone through with the Back to the Future fiasco I just don't even want to think about having to send another disk in. :frowning:

Dan.B

Cliff Olson

Stunt Coordinator
Well, let me ask this. Does my DTS disk still have a fully working Dolby Digital track? Also, how weak is the bass on the DTS track? Is it pathetic or just a little weaker than it should be? I might still be wrong about what numbers I saw on my disk last night. I'm almost sure I saw D2R1 though. I'll surely check when I get home tonight. I'll probably even watch the movie tonight and see what the DTS track sounds like.
Sure it does, but it's only DD 2.0 if I'm not mistaken.

For all you guys with the D2R1, I would recommend checking out your local used DVD shops (ie. The Wherehouse) so you can view the disc and it's code on the hub. I've had VERY good luck with used DVDs, and their condition. Most discs have been totally MINT.

ChrisJefferys

Stunt Coordinator
OK guys, you CAN identify the corrected version by the packaging. I picked up a used copy yesterday that does feature the corrected soundtrack with very active LFE. The "red grid" that Ron's post referred to is the grid that surrounds the technical specs that appear at the bottom of all Universal DVDs. On my corrected version, those grid lines are red. Out of curiousity, I visited a Futureshop store today and looked at the same DVD to check the packaging and the grid lines were black, not red. So I assume that was an uncorrected DVD (it did have a rather old looking price tag on the package, so it seems right).
So... look for the red grid lines at the back of the case at the bottom. Hope this helps. :)

greg_t

Screenwriter
Out of curiousity, I visited a Futureshop store today and looked at the same DVD to check the packaging and the grid lines were black, not red
When this all first happened with the DTS JP, Universal quietly repressed the DTS DVD and made no press announcments about it. So the early corrected repressings still had the black tech grid and looked identical to the original defective pressing. They only way to tell for sure what you had was to look for the code on the disc itself. Once all of this mispressing talk circulated around all the home theater sites, Universal stepped up and announced the repressings and implemented the red tech grid to tell the two apart. So there are black grid ones that are the correct repressed version. If you want to be sure you have the right one, look for one with the red tech grid.

Jon D

Stunt Coordinator
Dan, it's pretty much up to you whether to send it back in or just keep checking around for the repressing. It is out there, but may take a little digging to find. If you're happy with the sound of your current DVD though, it may not matter. The original DTS disc did have a low LFE, but it wasn't as horrible sounding as many have made it out to be. It did have bass, sometimes a good deal, but it *is* noticeably lacking compared to the repressing.

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
Well, I checked out my disk when I got home friday night and my fears were confirmed. I have the D2R1 disk. I then proceeded to throw it into the DVD player and crank up the system. The disk does indeed lack any major low end. I went straight to the famous T-Rex scene and it was pathetic how little bass was present at reference level. For further comparison me and my wife watched Jurassic Park 3 last night in DTS since I had just picked it up from Ebay for $9.50. :D Good movie and the low end was indeed low and heavy! :emoji_thumbsup: So, the difference was clear. I'm still not sure what to do. I don't really feel like dealing with Universal and their pathetic speed in processing problem disks. I still haven't recieved my freaking envelopes for Back to the Future and i've called twice!!!!!

So, i'm thinking about putting it on Ebay and probably getting almost what I paid for it and then finding the corrected DTS version somewhere in retail land.

Dan.B

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
It's a defective disc, return it to where you bought it and exchange it (for the DD version, if necessary). Most places should do same title exchange even without receipt.

Please do not knowingly sell a defective disc on Ebay. :frowning:

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
I almost fell out of my chair laughing when I read Malcolm's post. :D

"Please do not knowingly sell a defective disc on Ebay. "

I only find that funny because UNIVERSAL is selling these disks in stores as we speak and you don't seem to be saying anything about them! I don't see any threads by Malcolm with the title "How dare UNIVERSAL knowing sell defective product after knowing about a problem for over a year" do I? No! So how on earth do you come into this thread and say that to me?!?!? I don't get it. :angry:

The fact is i'll take the same stance that Univeral knowingly has taken with many of their defective releases. What the consumer doesn't figure out won't hurt them. Heck they did it with Back to the Future and Jurassic Park DTS! I for one don't feel the least bit guilty by doing it myself on Ebay.

Let's hear a reply to that Malcolm?

Dan.B

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks