Calibration DVD?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by JakeGreen, Jun 8, 2004.

1. JakeGreen

JakeGreen Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys, I've been reading about calibration dvd's to improve the picture on my friend's 65" Mitsubishi HD Ready Digital Projection TV.
    He has not adjusted anything at all since it was taken out of the box 6 months ago. Where can I find one for a decent price, and are there any that are better than the others?

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Most cost about $20 ...

Digital Video Essentials ...
    Sound & Vision Home Theater Tune Up

For beginners ... either is fine.

Find them anywhere or simply order from store or web ...

Regards

3. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

The S&V disc has friendlier navigation, but either of those should do for video. DVE, however, should not be used for subwoofer calibration unless you account for the fact that Joe Kane (the creator) seemed to forget that the LFE channel gets a 10dB boost when decoded (which will show up as 6dB higher on a SPL meter using pink noise, according to Dolby). If you get DVE and want to use it to set your speaker levels, the only way to properly adjust will be to set speakers to 75dB and subwoofer to 81-82dB.

4. JakeGreen

He is actually just wanting to calibrate his TV. So they will both work fine for that, right?

5. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

I didn't like Sound & Vision for TV tuneup. For speaker set up it was nice and easy. If you want one for you TV get AVIA or DVE.

6. Dave>h

Dave>h Second Unit

Hi,

I have the AVIA disk and had never calibrated a TV before. I found it very straight forward and found the commmentaries and explanations quite usable. I took some notes while I listened, it made it easier to remember what it was I was supposed to be looking for on each of the test screens while adjusting the different settings. It has a lot of good knowledge for the beginner and has a 100 other tests that are for professionals (I assume).

The end result was my TV looked considerably better than when I first took it out of the box. I continue to tweak it a little but at least now, I possess the scary bit of knowledge needed to really make a mess of things! [​IMG]

I would recommend the disk.

Regards,

Dave

PS the sound set up and test tones are also very useful for HT.

7. JakeGreen

Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like the AVIA disk is the one to go with.