What's new

Burt Bacharach - RIP (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
By coincidence, I am seeing Elvis Costello tonight - it was the collaboration of Costello and Bacharach that turned me on to the latter’s music, so this seems like coming full circle for me.

May be Rest In Peace. 94 and working right til the end is one heckuva run.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
May he R.I.P and condolences to his family - Ms Warwick must be devastated too he gave her career so much

she Just commented === "Burt’s transition is like losing a family member," the legendary 82-year-old singer said Thursday in a statement to The Times. "These words I’ve been asked to write are being written with sadness over the loss of my Dear Friend and my Musical Partner."

Last edited:

Sultanofcinema

Second Unit
Real Name
Joseph Barrett
Mr. Bacharach was one on my favorites. When I saw Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid opening weekend in 1969 (with the two scenes in tact that were cut out in January when Vanishing Point was thrown in as a double feature and never added back in), the soundtrack was sold out for weeks and I had to purchase the cassette tape. Also I was haunted by the ABC TV movie of the week theme and after doing some research found out that that song was called Nikki, composed by our late friend. Still brings tears to my eyes when I listen to it. His music is and was still beautiful and full of feelings.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Many years ago I had a great time working on a production of PROMISES, PROMISES, his musical version of the film The Apartment. Mr. Bacharach's melodies and interesting meters and rhythms are a joy.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
His score to Promises Promises is terrific. It's too bad he never did another Broadway musical but I understand the experience was such an ordeal he swore he would never do another Broadway show again. 20th Century bought the film rights but as about this time movie musicals started tanking big time I guess even after buying the rights they decided against putting any more money into it.
And I just read his relationship with David ended because of royalties distribution dispute over the score to Lost Horizon. What's especially sad is the movie is so terrible and was such a tremendous flop beyond their initial fee I imagine there were no royalties to share. I know it has its fans but what stinker of a movie and a score. Even the enormously successful Hunter up to that point and not an old man never made another movie again.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
He certainly wrote a bunch of well-known songs. A couple that I just noticed that I wasn't aware of are "(There's) Always Something There to Remind Me," the biggest hit for Naked Eyes back in 1983 (and the highest charting version of this song), and "On My Own", the big duet by Patti LaBelle and Michael McDonald in 1986.

Bernard McNair

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bernard McNair
He is one of my favourite composers; his music has bought so much enjoyment to my wife and I over many years. Much will be (rightfully) written about his great scores and songs today, but apart from the many obvious choices, I admit to having soft spot for Lost Horizon. The quality of the film is debatable (I like it in its own right) but the score was, in my mind, excellent.
RIP and Many Thanks, Mr. Bacharach.

Sultanofcinema

Second Unit
Real Name
Joseph Barrett
Burt and Mack David wrote the song performed by the Five Blobs and was a hit peaking on the charts in Nov '58 at 33. I had the original 45 on Columbia label and my older brother lent out to someone who never returned it. I even visited their home a few times and they never answered the door knowing I was after that record.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Burt and Mack David wrote the song performed by the Five Blobs and was a hit peaking on the charts in Nov '58 at 33. I had the original 45 on Columbia label and my older brother lent out to someone who never returned it. I even visited their home a few times and they never answered the door knowing I was after that record.
That would simply have been unacceptable for me. I eventually would have made a different type of visit.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
He certainly wrote a bunch of well-known songs. A couple that I just noticed that I wasn't aware of are "(There's) Always Something There to Remind Me," the biggest hit for Naked Eyes back in 1983 (and the highest charting version of this song), and "On My Own", the big duet by Patti LaBelle and Michael McDonald in 1986.
Didn't know this and that is a pretty good song. Two very powerful performers at work.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks