What's new

Building a HT in a new construction basement (1 Viewer)

CDL5583

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum, but I have been doing a lot of research for building my dedicated home theater in my basement.
Im really excited that this forum exists and wanted to thank the mods for keeping this running. I'm sure it will be extremely useful as I go through the development procedure.

I was also hoping to get some help in firming up ideas for my theater.

Specifications:
Dedicated section of basement - 16'6"L x 11' W x 9' H (without sheetrock)
Current walls on two sides and floor are all poured concrete
$12,000 budget for entire room
Ceiling mounted projector
Minimal sound transfer to above rooms
Average sound transfer to rest of basement is acceptable

Developmental plans:
Floor - Owens Corning Quietzone Acoustic Floormat with dual plywood covering, the furthest back couch will be on a raised floor to see above the seats in front of them
Ceiling - Owens Corning Quietzone Noise Control Batts with drywall
Walls - Wood framing with drywall
Doors - Solid core

Questions:
Is my budget enough?
Should I insulate the walls facing the rest of the basement for better acoustics?
Should I insulate the walls next to the concrete walls for better acoustics?
Is there anything else I should/could do to make the acoustics better for the room?
What thickness drywall should I use?

Thanks in advance!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Use a layer of 1/2" drywall and 5/8" drywall with Green Glue between the layers. Each layer will have different resonant frequencies and the glue will dampen both. If your budget allows, use QuietRock instead of regular drywall.

Insulation does nothing for the acoustics of the room. It will soundproof the room for the high frequencies. The mass of the double drywall stops the low frequencies. But if your sub is capable enough, nothing will stop the sound short of building a theater room down in a cave, well below the house.

For acoustics, look at using sound panels in different locations. Especially to stop the first reflection of your main speakers. DIY sound panels are simple to build and look great with different fabrics covering them.

-Robert

CDL5583

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
Thanks!
For first reflections I was thinking of using DVD shelving, with a sound panel backing.

Vin_G

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Vince
Just as Robert said insulation does nothing for acoustics. I am in the drywall stage of my HT and I built double walls with staggered studs and separated by an inch. Then I insulated. The only point of this is so I can crank the music and not make the wife or neighbors mad. If you are only concerned about acoustics inside the room, make it solid like you suggested (double drywall, solid doors, and plywood on matt on the floor so you can still feel vibrations from the sub).

CDL5583

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
Thanks, yeah I've noticed quite a few people talking about how they wished they had put down some sort of flooring on their concrete slab.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Not me. I have no issues with my carpet over concrete room. I can still feel the sub vibrations in the floor.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks