What's new

Building a basement theater: Advice on Projector, Screen, Seating, etc. (2 Viewers)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I disagree vehemently with other Sam's DLP or nothing recommendations. I have the Epson 5020 and guarantee you will be ENTIRELY pleased with the 5030 Ron. Cmon down any time to MD if you want a demo of mine. Take a day trip, will take you to see the Conowingo Bald Eagles. Personally I wouldn't recommend someone spend $3k for a projector today when we are so close to having affordable 4k be a reality in 18 months or less but that's a different story.

I use an elite static screen too, it's pretty good bang for the buck. I'd be hard pressed to spend triple the price to get better.

Those are the EXACT seats I want, Sadly nobody on east coast carries em in store so it's entirely aesthetics based, so can't confirm they are as comfortable as they look.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
DaveF said:
Also, those chairs you linked to in the beginning are awesome looking. But after pricing them up to my tastes, they were $1000 each. (cough cough). That's not an impossible furniture budget, but I wonder what other options there are?

Had a very long conversation with a highly reputable home theater furniture dealer

(mentioned on competing forums) who happens to have his warehouse within 30

minutes of me.

He advised me against going with those LED chairs. He said they are too bright,

will distract the movie watching experience, and generally easily break from people

banging their feet on the base.

He sells quality chairs, with his most expensive at $750 per. I am going to his warehouse

in the next two weeks to sit in a number of them and decide which one I like. Most likely

I will settle on chairs in the $600 range.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Ronald Epstein said:
I have been dreaming of having a legitimate home theater room that is not based in a small bedroom (which is what I am using now)​
As a 3D enthusiast, I have had quite a few members urge me to look into a front projector as the 3D imagery is supposed to surpass even the best plasma.​
Been doing some thinking about my basement. To date, it has been used for storage. It's not in the best shape, but once cleaned and with a few drop ceiling tiles replaced, I think I can turn it into a rudimentary home theater.​
Stick with me as I show you some pictures and some ideas that I have. I will need advice on purchasing a projector, screen and seating.​
Let's start with the room itself...​
attachicon.gif
DSC00314.JPG
Basement room as it looks today. Notice drop ceiling tiles that need to be replaced from a pipe that leaked water (that is now fixed)​
The plan is to remove all the junk. Completely carpet the room with nice padding in order to get better sound.​
The drop ceiling brackets are not strong enough to handle a hanging projector. However.....​
On the opposite end of the room are cabinets. The blue cabinet is high enough that I can put the projector inside it and tilt it slightly down if it needs to be. The throw distance would be about 17-18 feet. Of course, not being able to hang the projector from the ceiling would mean that anyone crossing the room would momentarily block the projector light stream.​
The projector I am looking at....​
Epson PowerLite 503UB​
Seems to be the best bang for the buck when it comes to 3D projectors. I would be happy to go with something even better and brighter if you guys insist. Though I am on a budget, I am willing to spend more money to get the best projector I can for a picture that rivals my plasma.​
Now for the screen....​
Know nothing about screens, nor even the right size I need, but this one on Amazon caught my eye...​
Do I need a motorized screen over stationary? No. What I would really love is an adjustable motorized screen for different aspect ratios. Don't know how expensive those are, but perhaps someone could recommend one.​
Now for the seating....​
Really liked the look of these seats. I want three of them. Not purposely pushing a retailer. I don't know of any recommended retailers. Just found this seating set here
So here is what I am willing (and expect to spend)​
Room Carpeting: $600 (estimate)​
Epson Projector: $3,000​
Screen: $250 (willing to spend more)​
Seating: $2,200 (approx.)​
I already have a receiver, blu-ray player, 7.1 speakers from current home theater setup. Won't have to reinvest.​
Looks like my budget is about $6,000​
Let me know what you would recommend for me to do and if the room I am using, the means of mounting the projector, and the throw space will work for what I need.​
Hey Ronald, Awesome news, as I'm getting close to building my very first basement home theater also(same Epson Projector you are thinking about getting). I will get some pictures of my basement layout as soon as I move into the house.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Sam Posten said:
I disagree vehemently with other Sam's DLP or nothing recommendations. I have the Epson 5020 and guarantee you will be ENTIRELY pleased with the 5030 Ron. Cmon down any time to MD if you want a demo of mine. Take a day trip, will take you to see the Conowingo Bald Eagles. Personally I wouldn't recommend someone spend $3k for a projector today when we are so close to having affordable 4k be a reality in 18 months or less but that's a different story.

I use an elite static screen too, it's pretty good bang for the buck. I'd be hard pressed to spend triple the price to get better.

Those are the EXACT seats I want, Sadly nobody on east coast carries em in store so it's entirely aesthetics based, so can't confirm they are as comfortable as they look.

Sam,

You know what? The more reviews I read, the more I am leaning back towards the Epson.

Projectorreviews.com did a comparison of the JVC and Epson. The Epson won. That 5030

is one of the best reviewed projectors out there, standing toe-to-toe with the more expensive

Sony and JVC models. Plus, they throw in an extra projector bulb.

And you are right. I'd rather spend under $2k for a damn decent projector this year to buy

a 4k projector at an affordable price in another year or two.

Now...

Can you please link me to the screen you own? It sounds like you are most pleased.

Finally....

Those seats that I posted a picture of, with the LED lighting, are cheap quality -- that's

according to Roman over at Ultimate Home Entertainment. He said they are chairs of

a discontinued brand that is simply being rebranded and built cheaply.

Personally, I am looking to spend money on a chair with less bells and whistles but with

lumbard support and a USB connection in every seat.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Bryan^H said:
Hey Ronald, Awesome news, as I'm getting close to building my very first basement home theater also(same Epson Projector you are thinking about getting). I will get some pictures of my basement layout as soon as I move into the house.

Bryan,

I would love to see pictures of your room. I am very happy to hear you

are looking at the Epson as well. Seems everyone is gravitating towards

the same projector for similar reasons.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Epson against JVC isn't a fair fight, as JVC couldn't give two shits less about 3D or gaming.

If you want LCoS, find a discontinued LG(I don't know if LG had 3D) or a Sony.

Epson is not competing against Sony.

(If you noticed, I didn't bring up JVC for projection. And I have JVC)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Ronald Epstein said:
What is LCoS?
D-ILA and LCoS are technically the same thing.

Essentially color wheel-less DLP...of sorts(saying it in the most general of terms).

DLP is what is used in theatres. Though that DLP is not home DLP. That DLP for home is $10,000 and up.

D-ILA is, essentially, the best attributes of (home)DLP and LCD rolled into one.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
I'm arguing for JVC vs Epson because of the ability to do a motorized zoom and shift to 2.35. If you have not seen this before....you need to (before you try to offer an opinion).....it is like OMG, with 2.35 being 30% ish larger than 16x9 (at the same image height).

The screen I am suggesting (Carada) runs at 750 - 950...and I would happy to purchase for Ron at a discounted price.

I have to chuckle as some of these posts / opinions....yes I routinely work on race horses...however my current recommendations are not even in the ball park of what I recommend to most clients. I am trying to work within Ron's budget...which is not very hard to do. Id suggest 1 less chair and maybe a bit more on the screen (vs the started budget of $200 -$300 - or whatever it was).

Ron, what will be your sitting distance, as this will be the determinant on screen size?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I get the motorized zoom(done it). But Ron has to agree...to spend that much.

My JVC has that, but, I don't use it cause my screen is a 120" 16:9.

Im happy with a 108" 2.35 at 9 feet.

And I know I bag on LCD. Projector or TV, don't care. Motion control, jitter free, 3D and film like motion are bigger wins for DLP than color and contrast are for LCD.

Last I checked, Ron was big on 3D. DLP wins that battle, at this price point, by an enormous margin.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Gregg,

A few things.

First and foremost, I appreciate all you have been doing here and completely understand

why you are attempting to recommend the JVC over the Epson.

My problem is reading reviews from leading websites. I have spent the entire day pouring

over reviews. The Epson is just rated better overall. I see Epson even makes PRO CINEMA

projectors. If you would rather recommend one of those, I am all game. The BIG thing is

brightness levels for 3D. When you go beyond a 100" screen, you need to push the brightness.

At least, that is what I am learning.

I am looking at the Sony H55WES. Trying to see what kind of deal I can get on that. It is

supposedly an incredible projector. May be able to get a nice deal on that one. I am not

certain if it has the zoom feature you are touting.

As far as sitting distance. 7-8 feet would be the seating distance from the screen.

As far as cutting back my budget on chair or otherwise...

Looks like you are looking at a screen within my budget. I said $1k would be fine for a

screen. That allows me to purchase the three chairs I want.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
From what I just read about the Sony H55WES...

The projector also provides flexible installation features including vertical and horizontal lens shift, a 1.6x motorized zoom, and a wide vertical range, which allows more options for placement and installation, all without reducing image quality.

The cost on that projector is $4,000. I would actually bite at $3,000. So, I am

being a bit flexible in the budget for a better projector.

Jim517

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim

The Sony HW40ES is a very highly rated projector. You should look into that.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Ronald Epstein said:

To buy that Sony...paint a screen. You have to paint the room anyway(or paying for that?). Whoever paints can paint the screen. If it takes taking the price of "the screen" from $700 to $100 to get the Sony...

Paint the damn wall.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Schan,

Please stop suggesting I paint the wall. It will not be done.

Jim517 said:
The Sony HW40ES is a very highly rated projector. You should look into that.

Jim,

Thank You, I will.

If it has the motorized zoom, it may be worth considering over the JVC.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Ronald Epstein said:
Schan,

Please stop suggesting I paint the wall. It will not be done.

Jim,

Thank You, I will.

If it has the motorized zoom, it may be worth considering over the JVC.
No, the 40 loses the motorized zoom to hit the price point.

But, if you give up the 2.35, go 16:9 and live with black bars...

Get the 40.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Ronald Epstein said:
Bryan,

Seems everyone is gravitating towards
the same projector for similar reasons.
I was considering the Panasonic PT-AE8000 for a long time for the lens memory, and the fact that it is now only $1,500.

Megdagooch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Meg Craig
Ronald Epstein said:
For instance...

I can easily afford this Carada screen which seems to fall under Gregg's specs...

http://www.carada.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=PROJECTION-SCREEN-C120C

It's 120 inch diagonal, which I am guessing, would be quite impressive in that room.

I would be willing to go even larger with the screen as long as it does not exceed $1k
When we purchased my screen I just called Jamestown and told him what I had and asked what he recommended. We spent $500 and being my first theater and who knows where I will be in my life in 5 years...I was good with that. You can always upgrade... But I can't FORCE my kids to enjoy a theater if they would rather be riding their horses. Just my opinion

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
schan1269 said:
Epson against JVC isn't a fair fight, as JVC couldn't give two shits less about 3D or gaming.

If you want LCoS, find a discontinued LG(I don't know if LG had 3D) or a Sony.

Epson is not competing against Sony.

(If you noticed, I didn't bring up JVC for projection. And I have JVC)
DLP is too expensive for me. I don't have 5 grand in my budget for a projector

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Just had someone PM from a member insisting that I go with a 2.35 screen.

So, Gregg's recommendation was spot on. Looking forward to seeing what

he comes up with.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gigaspin88
Recent bookmarks