What's new

Building a basement theater: Advice on Projector, Screen, Seating, etc. (1 Viewer)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Gregg Loewen said:
ive already told you the price point for that ;-)
And I bet his credit card melted a bit...

Done that a few times in a theatre and most times you throw out the number and you hear it thudding on the floor. For what is worth. I've never icluded one in a room plan that was smaller than 150" and AT.

CIH is much more common, but that isn't cheap either.

There is also the option of a "dual screen". Same assembly, two screens. Typically as 4:3 and 2.35.

macfan601

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
Megdagooch said:
I guess I should re take the pic. The wrinkles were gone 1 hour after setting it up. It was from shipping.
He stated his budget and based on the room he is building there are reasons to not spend the higher amounts.

Meghan:

I agree with you. The minute I saw the wrinkles I knew exactly what they were. I have an electric screen and it does take a bit for the wrinkles to hang out. Also, while Gregg may be considered an expert I think he could have used a little more courtesy in his criticism.

Ron:

One thing I dislike about the home theater hobby is there tends to be a bit of snobbishness in it. In my opinion there is far too much brand name bragging and far too much how much I paid for it bragging. In most cases if you were to take the brand names and price tags off of the item people would not know the difference in what they were seeing.

On another note, there are several good reviews over on that other home theater site (AVS) of Favi screens. My screen is Favi and I am well pleased with it. In the scheme of things Favi screens are quite inexpensive. No one has yet discussed the color, texture, and gain of screens which also needs to be considered within price.

Also Ron, pick up some basic tools and a few DIY/How To books. You might be amazed at what you can do. I do hire some things out but I find most people do not work up to my expectations so I would rather do it myself even if it take me longer.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'm staying out of the screen conversation if he doesn't do AT anyway.(it is a mistake, in my opinion, to spend less on the screen, than the projector. My prior home in Indianapolis still has a first generation Screen Research ClearPix. My home here has one that I bought used)

If he doesn't do AT and wants inexpensive...

I would suggest painting in a scheme to match StudioTek or NEVE.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
I have an electric screen and it does take a bit for the wrinkles to hang out.
a good screen should not have wrinkles....period.

The exception might be for the initial install (if the packing was not great). A good tip for removing wrinkles is hitting the spots with a hair dryer after there is tension applied.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
If I were spending $4000-5000 on a screen and PJ....

JVC, with motorized zooming, and 2.35 Carada or perhaps Dalite. (and then put up with jail bars for 16x9...or make velcro mattes to cover the 16x9 bars).

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
DLP, in general, tends to sport less accurate colors and black levels while providing less crosstalk and better in-motion detail than LCD/LED. DLP can also exhibit rainbowing.

From what I've read online, Optoma DLP projectors tend to be better than BenQ since they don't use DLP-Link technology for 3D instead of RF glasses.

Optoma's popular model seems to be the HD50/HD161x. Same hardware/firmware. Different names.

macfan601

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
Gregg Loewen said:
a good screen should not have wrinkles....period.

The exception might be for the initial install (if the packing was not great). A good tip for removing wrinkles is hitting the spots with a hair dryer after there is tension applied.

Gregg:

You and I are from different sides of the tracks. Even though I have 3 earned college degrees I do not have the kind of money that you apparently do to work with. I have built my whole home theater for less than you are suggesting to spend on a screen. While it may not be perfect, or even considered professional, I am happy and content with it. I am not embarrassed or too proud to admit that most of my equipment I bought used or from clearance centers.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
revgen said:
DLP, in general, tends to sport less accurate colors and black levels while providing less crosstalk and better in-motion detail than LCD/LED. DLP can also exhibit rainbowing.

From what I've read online, Optoma DLP projectors tend to be better than BenQ since they don't use DLP-Link technology for 3D instead of RF glasses.

Optoma's popular model seems to be the HD50/HD161x. Same hardware/firmware. Different names.
Mits 78/7900* blows the 161 out of the water.

But, I don't have issues with the 161 either. Just the Mits are better. BenQ runs the gamut from adequate to stellar, where Optoma are adequate and Mits are stellar.

*Get one while you can. Have a feeling that used prices are going rise...short term.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
macfan601 said:
Ron:

One thing I dislike about the home theater hobby is there tends to be a bit of snobbishness in it. In my opinion there is far too much brand name bragging and far too much how much I paid for it bragging. In most cases if you were to take the brand names and price tags off of the item people would not know the difference in what they were seeing.

I know Gregg rather well. He is very quality orientated, and is making his recommendations

on what he feels those looking for a higher level of performance would be looking for.

It's kind of like myself, recommending a newbie a very expensive system that I would personally

buy, but know that he/she would probably not prefer to spend. I can't tell you how many friends

buy a "home theater in a box" despite my instance they go with separates.

I already have a top-of-the-line 64" Samsung plasma in the bedroom. I don't need to spend

another $3k for a projector and then $2-8k on top of that for a screen.

I am either going to go with the Epson or the JVC. I think Gregg makes a good argument for

going with the JVC. I am going to see what kind of deal I can work out with that company.

However as far as the screen is concerned....

I am not spending $2-8k on a screen. That is where I have to draw the line.

If I can get a really good screen for $1k then I would consider myself lucky.

I know nothing about masking. Have no idea how to buy it or let alone make it on my own.

So....

Right now the advice I really need is on a screen. Hopefully one that comes with masking.

Obviously a motorized screen that I can use a remote to change the aspect ratio is probably

out of my budget range.

What I am looking for is the best bang-for-the buck screen. A nice screen that (in the best terms

I can put it in) reproduces fantastic brightness levels. Black border.

I don't know if I need a 100", 110" or what.

Gregg is recommending a 2.35 screen.

The best thing you guys could do, if you'll be so kind, is look up the screens you recommended,

send me a link to what you think would work well. This way I can just go to the link and purchase the screen.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Ronald Epstein said:
I know Gregg rather well. He is very quality orientated, and is making his recommendations
on what he feels those looking for a higher level of performance would be looking for.

It's kind of like myself, recommending a newbie a very expensive system that I would personally
buy, but know that he/she would probably not prefer to spend. I can't tell you how many friends
buy a "home theater in a box" despite my instance they go with separates.

I already have a top-of-the-line 64" Samsung plasma in the bedroom. I don't need to spend
another $3k for a projector and then $2-8k on top of that for a screen.

I am either going to go with the Epson or the JVC. I think Gregg makes a good argument for
going with the JVC. I am going to see what kind of deal I can work out with that company.

However as far as the screen is concerned....

I am not spending $2-8k on a screen. That is where I have to draw the line.

If I can get a really good screen for $1k then I would consider myself lucky.

I know nothing about masking. Have no idea how to buy it or let alone make it on my own.

So....

Right now the advice I really need is on a screen. Hopefully one that comes with masking.

Obviously a motorized screen that I can use a remote to change the aspect ratio is probably
out of my budget range.

What I am looking for is the best bang-for-the buck screen. A nice screen that (in the best terms
I can put it in) reproduces fantastic brightness levels. Black border.

I don't know if I need a 100", 110" or what.

Gregg is recommending a 2.35 screen.

The best thing you guys could do, if you'll be so kind, is look up the screens you recommended,
send me a link to what you think would work well. This way I can just go to the link and purchase the screen.
If you are spending under $1000...

Paint. Period.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
schan1269 said:
If you are spending under $1000...

Paint. Period.

Schan,

Look at the picture of the room. It is entirely paneled.

I don't have the know-how of what materials to buy, nor how to properly

put together a home-made painted screen.

You really think I am doing myself a disservice buying a screen under $1k?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Ronald Epstein said:
For instance...

I can easily afford this Carada screen which seems to fall under Gregg's specs...

http://www.carada.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=PROJECTION-SCREEN-C120C

It's 120 inch diagonal, which I am guessing, would be quite impressive in that room.

I would be willing to go even larger with the screen as long as it does not exceed $1k
Not sure you neex that over a Precision. Unless it is easier/quicker to assemble. The thinner border is plus to me.

I would still suggest paint. You can paint a mock StudioTek for $200(if that much). Then if you decide you want grey, paint over it.

And if you paint, you can map out various aspect ratios, add dowel rods to hold fabric and move them up and down. Yes, you can do the same with a screen, but paint is...on the wall. Making dowel hooks easier to install if you want to create your own manual moving draping.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
schan1269 said:
Not sure you neex that over a Precision. Unless it is easier/quicker to assemble. The thinner border is plus to me.

I would still suggest paint. You can paint a mock StudioTek for $200(if that much). Then if you decide you want grey, paint over it.

And if you paint, you can map out various aspect ratios, add dowel rods to hold fabric and move them up and down. Yes, you can do the same with a screen, but paint is...on the wall. Making dowel hooks easier to install if you want to create your own manual moving draping.

Schan,

I am not a handyman.

Putting up black drop ceiling tiles is even something I am not comfortable with, but

I think I can figure it out.

I don't want to paint. I just want to buy a screen and have someone install it with the

projector.

You mentioned a precision. Could you link me to a 2.35 Precision screen you would

recommend?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Ronald Epstein said:
Schan,

Look at the picture of the room. It is entirely paneled.

I don't have the know-how of what materials to buy, nor how to properly
put together a home-made painted screen.

You really think I am doing myself a disservice buying a screen under $1k?
Getting back to that...

Are you planning on gutting the room and doing drywall? (My opinion...absolutely necessary, you can leave certain cabinets or re-install them. Last thing you want is to add the theater, then loose panels vibrate like crazy.)

I think your screen should match, at mimimum, projector price. Why? Just like speakers...do it right. Once. This screen will see your next 6 projectors(based on 5 year swapping. How old will you be by then?)

And I know I beat, to death, AT. But...nobody has ever not liked the finished result using one. You could do an entirely "clean room" with nothing visible(including hiding the surround speakers) if you start gutted and do AT. False walls are easy to do and they would mitigate future water issues(yes there is acoustic water resistant drywall).

The Precision is in the same link you have. It is "the other" choice. The screen/masking is the same between Precision/Criterion. The difference is the shape of the frame. Square for Precision(making it a thinner border) or trapezoid for Criterion(wider and stronger. But mounted to a wall...does the extra strength matter?).

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Schan,

I need to make this clear. And perhaps it's my fault for not doing it right

from the first post...

I am doing this on a budget.

I am a novice at this sort of thing. Gutting the room? Removing the paneling?

No, that is not what I have the ability to do either financially or physically.

I am taking that room, as it is, and doing the best job I can do with it at a budget.

I am going to clean it. I am going to carpet it. I am going to add 3 really nice

reclining home theater chairs. Going to hang some framed movie posters.

Going to move my 7.1 setup from the bedroom to the basement room.

At the most, I am going to spend $7k. Here is the breakdown I see...

Carpeting: $1k

Projector: $3k (If I go with JVC and get it at a discount)

Screen: $1k

Seating $2,300 (for 3 reclinable home theater chairs)

Coming in under budget, but I also need to pay someone to install the

screen and projector. I need Verizon to come in and install a cable so I

can watch broadcast television. I need to buy drop ceiling tiles as well.

That will cost an extra $1k in all.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Have you ever put together IKEA/Sauder RTA furniture?

If so...you can hang the screen.

I'll give you the projector. Cause that likely will mount to the floor joists above and may need further bolster to not vibrate from people walking above it.

Where are you getting $1000 for ceiling tiles? Home Depot sells 2x2 for $10-$15 a piece. How many?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way. USG brand 2x4 tiles are 41 cents a square foot. An 8 pack is $26. They probably rent the tool there to cut them.(or just use the floor, pencil, straight edge and a utility knife)

This particular(admittedly basic, but a big improvement over your warped ones) one is $26. Covers 64 feet, or 10x6. So, 4 packs...$104(you need to cut some and you'll break a few. Buy 5, have an extra case for future use).

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ronald Epstein said:

What I *really* want is a motorized wall screen that changes aspect ratios.

I cannot seem to find anything like this through searches. I know they will

be expensive, but I would love to remotely change the screen's aspect ratio

when needed.
I think there are two affordable solutions:

1) Constant Image Width, with home-made masking Panels

2) A projector with programmable Zoom for faking anamorphic lens-like feature to get Constant Image Height. Again with homemade masking panels.

Masking panels as Peter described:

Peter Apruzzese said:
I had one of the inexpensive Elite screens and while it did the job OK, it had a surface texture that was visible no matter what. I would expect, for 3D especially, you would be very unhappy with it. I looked into other solutions but ended up building my own acoustically transparent screen (which made a huge impact) out of wood and a dual layer of stretched spandex fabric. Cost less than $200 and was the exact size I wanted. Built 4-way adjustable masking panels for it for another 100 bucks or so. Between the AT fabric, masking, and black walls surrounding the front third of the room, the image and sound with my Epson 8350 just floats there.

The expensive solutions involve motorized panels, anamorphic lenses on motorized lens sleds, and other fun stuff. But the info I've seen suggests that (2) with memory Zoom projector seems affordable and increasingly common feature.

(And I posted before seeing this ground had been covered :) )

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Also, those chairs you linked to in the beginning are awesome looking. But after pricing them up to my tastes, they were $1000 each. (cough cough). That's not an impossible furniture budget, but I wonder what other options there are?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks