What's new

First Post and Looking for HT advice! (1 Viewer)

kameonr

Auditioning
Real Name
Ed Keeling
Hello Everyone!

I have been reading this site for what feels like forever and finally as my plans feel like they are getting closer i felt it was time to register and see what kind of help i can get from you guys. I was hoping my first post would be to chime in on someone else's thread providing help, but....i guess it was not meant to be :frowning:

Here is the deal....i moving up north shortly (to MN) and will have the opportunity to jump into a bigger home.....This is good news for the wife and even better news for me....because unlike Florida....i will get what i like to call the MAN CAVE (basement)! I have been given clearance to turn this into the ultimate dream basement....but as most of you have shown me so far with my reading, it may take some time.

My goal is to have a HT, Open Bar, and what will be called the Wolves Den (Sports Corner). I have the "wolves den" covered and will most likely build over time the bar....but with the funds i will have to play with, i would like to put together a Home Theater.

So, lets say you had 7k to work with and you have absolutely nothing to start with. How would you fulfill these needs:

1. Projector
2. Screen
3. HD-DVD player
4. Receiver
5. Mains
6. Center
7. Rears
8. Subwoofer
9. Seating (for 6)

Thats it.....i know there are other factors like....projector mount, cables, universal remote, wires, etc. But i dont want to factor that in.....yes that can add up as well...but the 7k should be utilized to cover just those items listed.

Here are some added, special needs...i prefer the speakers to be of the same brand.....i dont like to mix brands (if you convince me otherwise....im all ears).....the seating is a toss up, i like the idea of authentic seats being able to squeeze in more than 6 folks...but 3 allows me to have those nice recliners....it will be two rows of 3 in that case by the way.

Just so you dont think i am here to just steal your clever ideas and run....this is some of what i have researched and liked...maybe you can give your opinion.

1. Mitsubishi’s HD1000U Projector -$995
2. Carada Criterion Series Brilliant White - 100 Inch Diagonal Criterion Series Projection Screen - 1.78 to 1 - $750
3. Toshiba HD-A2 DVD Player – $499
4. Denon AVR-1907 – Reciever - $400

....and then i got stuck....I am a fan of Klipsch though.....as for the seating, i am all ears to your ideas...

6. mains
7. center channel
8. rear channel
9. subwoofer
10. Seating

Anyway, i hope you guys dont think this is too much to ask, again i am happy to be a member and just shake my head by the stuff you guys know about HT....

now.....create!! :)

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Here's what I would consider on your budget:

Projector: Panasonic PT-AE900U, $1,200
Screen: Carada Criterion Series 100", $750
HD-DVD Player: Toshiba HD-A2, $400 (Amazon)
Receiver: Denon AVR-2807, $1,000
Mains: Axiom M60, $960
Center: Axiom VP150, $400
Surrounds: Axiom QS8, $530
Subwoofer: HSU VTF-3 MK3, $650

Total: $5,890

That leaves you with a tight budget for seating, but hey you only need one seat right? ;)

I would suggest auditionning as many speakers as possible before making your purchase decision. Another favorite of mine for home theatre are Paradigm Monitor Series, which are priced similarly to the Axiom home theatre above (under $2,500):

Mains: Paradigm Monitor 7
Center: Paradigm CC-370
Surrounds: Paradigm ADP-370
Subwoofer: HSU VTF-3 MK3

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I just received my HD1000 Tuesday and it's FANTASTIC. It cost $870 shipped from Projectorpeople.com(they're an authorized Mits. dealer also). I can't help you with the screen, I use a DIY screen. What size will the theater area be? Will it be one big open room? Will you be watching with lights on sometimes? If so, the HD1000 will work great for you, as it's very bright when needed.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Looks like you got a great price Jim. This is the PJ I am wanting as well. Something with really good video quality and one that will be affordable until the 1080p units get around 2K.

Ed, may I suggest another speaker line similar to the Axiom's pricing. A bit higher but FANTASTIC quality that have been highly reviewed. The NHT Evolution M6 monitors.

http://www.nhthifi.com/products/m6.html

http://www.stereophile.com/loudspeakerreviews/405nht/

They sound fabulous and look great too. I owned these myself in my rig. Click on the Club Timobi Wan link to see.

Good luck with your decisions Ed. :)

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If you are DIY type, then a screen is one of the easiest things to build. My 103" screen cost about $75 in parts and took a weekend to build (paint drying mostly). I made it where I can take the border off and replace the fabric easily. This allows me to experiment with paint forumlas and only be out the cost of 3 yards of blackout cloth (about $4/yard). Right now, I'm using a Panasonic AE900U on plain, white fabric and the picture is fanstastic.

If you really want to use your budget for seats, then I recommend the Pioneer receivers with MCACC (auto calibration). I'm using a VSX-1014 7.1 receiver. I'm in the process of building seven identical speakers ($75 each in parts). I already have my sub built (four 15" custom built drivers from TC Sounds - $100 each) and a 2,400 watt Behringer amp. I also make my own componet video and audio cables.

You can make your budget stretch as far as you want by making compromises and doing a little extra work yourself.

-Robert

kameonr

Auditioning
Real Name
Ed Keeling
Wow thanks for the wonderful ideas guys......

As far as the DIY portion, i think i will definitely see what i can do about the screen.....putting 600 back in my pocket from doing so may help out big time. I do have a question though about that.....i have been reading about how important "Gain" is for the screen and how not having the right gain can mess with the picture that the projector is really capable of putting out. Using this DIY method.....what is the gain like and will i be making a big sacrifice using sheets instead of the carada series mentioned above? Seems quite a few of you have gone the DIY route....i just need to know if you are making a sacrifice that is not too bothersome or if doing it that way is actually better.

As for the room its going to be open somewhat...but the lighting should not be a problem....for me....I am dealing with about a 30x13 space.....the screen and front will be housed in a deep corner the seating will however have an opening on the left side and wall on the right. I was thinking about putting 4 towers in the front with the center and having two rears....is that not a good idea for sound?

So far i am liking this idea...

Projector: Panasonic PT-AE900U, $1,200
Screen: Carada Criterion Series 100", $750
HD-DVD Player: Toshiba HD-A2, $400 (Amazon)
Receiver: Denon AVR-2807, $1,000
Mains: Axiom M60, $960
Center: Axiom VP150, $400
Surrounds: Axiom QS8, $530
Subwoofer: HSU VTF-3 MK3, $650

The only thing i would need to research is the projector....and that Sub as i have not heard of the HSU brand. Axiom vs. Klipsch anyone have any insight on that as well?

As far as the seating goes.....if you were making a HT that was for Movies only....would you prefer the relax route of a recliner or the comfy side of a nice movie theater style chair....i could save on cost using real theater style seats but not sure if that would be more uncomfortable in the long run....anyone with experience in both cases?

I am still listening to everyones ideas...and will be researching all that is suggested....thanks again for your help.....hope you can help with the follow up questions.

kameonr

Auditioning
Real Name
Ed Keeling
Just a quick update, i am back on the Mitsubishi’s HD1000U Projector.....i tried to like the LCD review on that projector you suggested but i just dont want to sacrifice the "film" look you get from the DLP.....plus as mentioned i will upgrade to 1080p once the price comes down. :)

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I love my HD1000, although I just received it 2 days ago. I use it for DVD's and HDTV. HDTV on it is really a thing of beauty. Have you read the reviews at Projectorcentral.com and Projectorreviews.com?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have no idea what the gain is on my screen. I'm using the projector in the low power mode and there is more than enough brightness for me. And I'm not using a "sheet". I'm using drapery backing material known as blackout cloth. Pure white. Very tight weave with a plastic backing so light can't pass.

For a little more money, you can get real screen fabric and make your own frame. Or you can try the screen section out at AVS Forums. They have a sub-section on DIY screens that range from Parkland plastic ($12) to Lexan mirrors painted with opaque pearl paint ($$$$). These guys are hard core on materials and paint formulas. If you can get past the arguments, they have some great pictures with examples of each paint formula and material.

As far as seats go, we decided to use an old sofa for the front row and the matching couch for the second row. My wife and I didn't want a chair arm between us. I don't really care if the visitors like the couch or not. If they want real seats, they can go deal with the prices and problems at the real theater in town.

-Robert

kameonr

Auditioning
Real Name
Ed Keeling
Man, thanks for that tip, i am definitely going to go the DIY route now....and use this site as a reference tool when i get to work on that.

Now my only last question to get answered.....what are your thoughts of the 4 tower speakers up front with the center channel? Is that going to be too much, like i said earlier the reason i am thinking of this is because of the open space to the left of the viewers. Anybody have a similiar setup with an open side wall that can offer some thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks