What's new

Boston Acoustics M Subwoofer (1 Viewer)

Wolby

Auditioning
Real Name
Don
I am looking for some input on what may or may not be a problem with my new Boston Acoustics M Series Subwoofer. When the subwoofer gets hit with a loud explosion the sound distorts sort of a putting sound and it is really annoying. Here is what I have. I am using a Marantz 6008 to setup the speakers using Audyessy. Gain is on half. Tried polarity on 0 and 180. Crossover set by Audyssey to 100 I reset it to 80.Audyssey set db to -12. I have a Klipsch 10"(do not know the model) paid around $500 for it and it knocks your socks off on loud explosions and other loud sound effects.I just assumed that this (I thought) was a really good subwoofer and would play just as loud as the Klipsch. Does anyone have any ideas on what the problem might be or should I just get rid of it? If a replacement with a different sub is suggested which one would you suggest at around $1000.? Thanks,Don

Wolby

Auditioning
Real Name
Don
Could you please explain what you mean? How do you correct it? When I plug in my Klipsch using the same settings I get no distortion.Thanks,Don

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
A -12 result means Audyssey cant reduce the sub output enough. Turn down your gain on the sub, I would try 1/4 instead of 1/2. Rerun Audyssey.

Wolby

Auditioning
Real Name
Don
I reran Audyssey with sub gain at 1/4. Audessey set the db at -1.5. There is very little sound coming from the sub now. Explosions and deep bass are almost no existent.I turned the volume up to 4 and the sub gain to 1/2 it has fair bass now but loud bass rattles the speakers bad. This is supposed to be a good sub and the rep. from Boston Acoustics said this sub will not make these types of noises. Anyhow I can not seems to get a balance of decent bass and no distortion on loud inputs. Do you have any other suggestions or can you recommend another subwoofer?Thanks,Don

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Sounds like...

1. The sub is nowhere near the correct spot in the room.
2. Your bass expectations are unrealistic.

And yeah I know Audyssey EQs the sub. But correct sub placement beats turd polish.

Wolby

Auditioning
Real Name
Don
The sub (according to what I see) is in the best placement available. It seems a little strange that the last 2 subwoofers that I have owned have performed very well giving me both good bass and the correct thump when necessary. I had no issues with Audyssey when using my Denon amp. I might not be an audiophile but I know what sounds good and if I can plug in one sub and it sounds ok then plug in the other one and it does not I believe there may be a problem. Would someone please give me recommendations on a new subwoofer!Thanks,Don

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Build one. For $1200 I could build you one with two 15" decent drivers. Still have enough left over for a weekend trip to St Louis for some ribs.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam

Wolby

Auditioning
Real Name
Don
Not a very helpful suggestion! If I was knowledgeable enough to make a powered subwoofer I would not be on this forum looking for help! Anyone else have a non sarcastic and helpful suggestion?
Thanks,
Don

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I don't have any familiarity with Boston Acoustic subs, but on spec alone that one seems okay. This statement confuses me though:
The sub (according to what I see) is in the best placement available.
You can't "see" where the best place to place a sub is. The standard practice is what's called the sub crawl. It's better if you google it than me try to try my hand at describing the procedure. )Well okay, place the sub where you sit most of the time, then crawl around the room and find the spot with the best bass response.)

On the other hand, if your other subs worked fine in the same spot, then maybe it is just the sub, in which case I concur with Sam's option of a Hsu sub.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It seems a little strange that the last 2 subwoofers that I have owned have performed very well giving me both good bass and the correct thump when necessary. I had no issues with Audyssey when using my Denon amp. I might not be an audiophile but I know what sounds good and if I can plug in one sub and it sounds ok then plug in the other one and it does not I believe there may be a problem. Would someone please give me recommendations on a new subwoofer!
A $15 mic and software that ranges from free to $10 you can get a pretty good real time analyzer. http://www.parts-express.com/dayton...or-iphone-ipad-tablet-and-android--390-810%C2 This will determine exactly what is wrong. Your mention of "thump" leads me to believe you like the bloated, feel it in your chest bass. That's not accurate bass. Accurate bass sneaks up on you. It doesn't call attention to itself until needed and then it delivers.
Not a very helpful suggestion! If I was knowledgeable enough to make a powered subwoofer I would not be on this forum looking for help! Anyone else have a non sarcastic and helpful suggestion?
I always suggest DIY and I'm surprised Sam followed up with another answer.

Any of these knockdown cabinets coupled with a good driver and amp can easily outperform retail subs costing twice the money. http://www.parts-express.com/cat/subwoofer-speaker-cabinets/289%C2 You even get a discount buying the combo kit http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-18-reference-series-ho-subwoofer-and-cabinet-package--300-7094 A pair of these is $650 Add in an amp for $400 http://www.parts-express.com/behringer-nu6000-inuke-6000w-lightweight-power-amplifier--248-6708 and you can match the performance of subs costing $5,000.

The nice thing about my recommended setup is that you can dial it in as accurate or bloated using the amp's software.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks