What's new

first impression on monitor audio gold signature (1 Viewer)

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
hi guys. i live in jakarta, indonesia, and here is my story. hehe.

I pre ordered gs10 and gs-lcr last january and i got them in july. I bought them for my future living room, which is at this very moment, still far from being completed. The sound system equipments are bought by me piece by piece. Even though the speakers have been in my storage room for some time, i didnt want to use it before my new living room is ready...until yesterday.

By the way, i paid for about 2200 dollar for one gs-lcr and two pairs of gs10. Compare that to my previous system, a vr-mc, a pair of vr-m50, and a pair of psb image 1b for around 1200 dollar.

Long story short, my receiver is a measly yamaha rx-v730, which according to some research posted on a geocities page ( i am sure you know what i am talking about ), it is measured only around 37 watts per channel, 5 channels driven. This was one main factor i didnt want to get the speakers out of their boxes. I thought the receiver wouldnt give the speakers justice.

The sources : a philips dvd player, a small version of playstation2, and ipod 60gb ( no mp3, i only use WAV files ).

Subwoofer is svs pb10isd. I love this thing! I wish there was an SVS distributor in my city. I want one pb12 ultra!!!

At this point, i have only used the speakers for around 5 hours.

My current living room is 3.5 meter in height, around 5 meter wide, but open to 2 other areas in the back and on the side. I consider it as a verrrrry big room, and no acoustic treatment installed at all.

I only use gs-lcr in the center and a pair of gs10 in the front left and right, while the other pair of gs10 is still in my storage room. For the rear speakers i have psb image 1b on a special stand made for them, and off course, these stands are too small for gs10s. these stands were installed on the floor with bolts and things to prevent my 5 year old troublemaker to topple it.

My very first impression on hearing this new setup is, one word : louder. I couldnt believe it. In my previous setup, when the volume goes past a certain level, the sound from my bostons started to stretch, killing my ears. I thought it was because the receiver was too weak to power them. But to my disbelief the same cant be said with the gold sigs. The system went very loud! I originally wanted to add an external amplifier, but now, i dont think i am going to.

I think now i know the difference between 5.25 inch driver and 6.25 inch driver. The bigger, the louder. I thought i could assess how loud a speaker could go based on just the specs. 8 ohm impedance, 88 db ( on gs10 ), compared to 8 ohm impedance, 89 / 90 db on the vr-m. I dont get it. On paper the bostons should be a little bit more efficient, but the truth is the gs10s were much louder that it is not funny. If 35 watt per channel is this loud, i couldnt imagine what a rotel rmb1075 with its 120 watts per channel could bring into my living room ( i originally wanted to add this to my system ). Mind you, my new living room where the gold sigs will be installed in the future is much smaller than my current living room.

I played a few games on ps2, and the character's dialog was really clear. I am not sure whether it was clearer or louder, but to me, i can now understand what they are saying on the tv. I am not a good english speaker ( i lived in chicago for 3 years, and thats it ) nor listener, so sometimes i blame myh own ears for not being able to "detect" or "recognize" some words when spoken with different dialect or intonation. But this new system made words said by game or movie characters more understandable.

I watched collateral, and as before, i just felt that the whole thing sounded louder. Some loud sound effect sounded ear pearcing to me, not sure whether it is supposed to be that way, or because the speakers are not broken in yet. As far as I can tell, when my vr-m speakers were new, i didnt hear any movie sound effect that sounded that way.

I also played some tunes from my trusty ipod. I love the voice of emi fujita...and she sounded....well, as expected. Some nickelback songs and some other pop songs...and I dunno, some things sounded sweeter and smoother, but I dont think they are significantly better than my vr-m speakers in this regard. Just much louder, clearer, and thats it. Does it sound bright? I am not sure. It was in your face, it was loud, it was clear, sometimes ear piercing when there was a gunshot or explosions, but i dont think the sound was as bright as some klipsch speakers i had heard in the past. I dunno about sound stage either, because i dont like hearing 2 channel stereo music. I prefer 5 channel stereo.

I think the vr-m, being the smaller speakers, sound just as good as the gold sigs in smaller. acoustically treated rooms. I still love them to death, and I never regretted purchasing them in the first place. It is just that my current living room is too big for them.

Like I said, i have only heard the gold sigs for around 5 hours, so perhaps sometime next month i would post some more impressions.

A few things for sure :

- I prefer denon sound to yamaha. My vr-m speakers are now mated with denon avr2802 in the office, and the sound felt sweeter, softer to my liking.

- I found that i dont need an external amp. Even with the yammie I own, the gold sigs went really loud in my BIG living room. Thanks Mackie for telling me time and time again that efficient speakers might not need extra power.

- I think still need to replace the receiver. The sound from this system lacks crispiness ( i dunno if this is the correct audio term ), because the shop i bought the gold sigs from used a primare receiver, and it sounded really crisp, airy and very smooth. Whether it is better to replace the receiver or simply add an external power to fix this... i dunno.

- I will not upgrade the speakers for a decade. I am happy with the gold sigs already, they sounded really good even before the break in process is done.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
My first "real" speakers were some Monitor Audio bookshelves circa 1994.....MA makes some very nice stuff......

Oh, and nice subwoofer! :D

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
5 more hours today. I played empire strikes back, war of the world, resident evil 2, king kong, all during their loudest moments. I still cant believe how a lowly yammy rx-v730 could play it real hard and loud. Even with only a pair of psb image 1bs in the rears, my system came alive. For a home theater application, i am completely satisfied with this setup.

I can now appreciate the quality of the svs pb10isd. On my previous setup, i didnt dare to play it loud, because the boston vr-m speakers started to strain ( and i was afraid something might blow up in the receiver ). But now, i can play the system really loud, and the subwoofer truly shaked the whole house. Well, i dont hate my neighbor. But i did read mr john garcia's story about replacing his pb10isd with a bigger sonotube sub... well jeeezzz, i dont want to be his neighbour! hahaha... i wonder how a 2000 bucks svs sub would sound in here. Scary.

Okay, i have made up my mind. I wont buy an external amp. The gold sigs are efficient enough to play it hard. I cant understand why manufacturers would produce 4 ohm speakers when 8 ohm speakers like the gold sig could sound this good.

When a denon avr3xxx with dolby true hd or dolby digital plus comes out, i will get it. I hope by that time my new living room is built already.

mackie

Supporting Actor
Sounds like you're having fun which is what this hobby is all about. I think you're smart to wait on the receivers with the new HD Dolby internal decoders to come out.

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
25 plus hours!!!

i think the gold sigs are indeed bright. I like the fact that there are many loud sound effects that are recreated as if the impact happened in front of my face, but in the end i have to turn the treble knob on my yammy rxv730 to 9 o clock. I thought after hours and hours of play time the speakers would mellow a bit, but i was wrong. Perhaps i should wait for many more hours?

There are many moments that give me a "slap on my face" effect. I reallly like it.

I love these speakers to death. Really. I like the way they sing for music listening. I also like the way they boom in home theater mode. I have no negative comment whatsoever. Now all i have to do is stop listening to more expensive systems in order to prevent myself from getting upgradeitis.

Bob_Lawrance

Stunt Coordinator
Felix,

Good to hear, I just got my monitor silver series last week and my SVS sub PS12 plus/2. I love the sound of the monitor speakers too. The silver series has made a huge improvement on my old system and you have the gold series is must be that much better.

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
oh yea! that SVS thing! i want that pb12 sub. it is just that i have no money to import them from the states. perhaps in the next 5 to 10 years i would be able to afford one. i wish tom and ron would be able to find a nice and willing distributor in south east asia.

in 2003 when i purchased my pb10, it was the only box sub! the smallest one as well. i want the biggest one! please svs if you read this...pb12 ultra 2 in rosewood to match my rosewood gold sigs...i will be in pure audio heaven...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks