What's new

Booth Bijou Garage Theater (2 Viewers)

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Our guests loved both 'Yesterday' and 'Rocketman'!

Next up (in 2 weeks or so), 'Late Night' paired with 'The Art of Racing in the Rain'.

Many of the friends that attend movie nights are members of our car club. I expect Racing in the Rain to be hugely popular and, for that reason, I suspect we'll end up doing two showings of the film. Perhaps even both a Saturday and a Sunday.

Mark

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
We ended up adding a second showing of just 'The Art of Racing in the Rain' for the following day. We'll leave the theater set up after showing the two films on Saturday and then just show the one the following day.

Can't wait to see our friends' reactions to Racing in the Rain, in particular.

Mark

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Our audiences absolutely loved 'The Art of Racing in the Rain'! Applause at the end of the film (both days). We passed around the tissue box before the film started! :)

Mark

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
We are showing 'Some Like It Hot' (new 4K scan on Criterion label) and 'Toy Story 4' this weekend. We've got 15 out of 20 spots filled so far. This one probably won't "sell out" because several of our friends already have plans due to the holidays (work parties, etc.).

Mark

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
We are showing 'Some Like It Hot' (new 4K scan on Criterion label) and 'Toy Story 4' this weekend. We've got 15 out of 20 spots filled so far. This one probably won't "sell out" because several of our friends already have plans due to the holidays (work parties, etc.).

Mark

I love that you work in the classics every now and then! I have a hard time getting people to come over to watch those generally.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I love that you work in the classics every now and then! I have a hard time getting people to come over to watch those generally.

We've tried two classic films together in the past and those showings don't fill up as quickly. But if you add a classic film as the B-movie to a brand new film, that typically pulls them in.

After this weekend's showings our next movie night will be Dec 8. A friend will be visiting from the east coast and she has never attended the Booth Bijou. We don't have any brand new movies to share except for a couple that have a lot of violent action and she'd prefer not to see those. Therefore, we'll likely be showing two holiday film modern classics on Dec 8. Maybe 'Home Alone' with 'Love Actually'. We'll see.

Mark

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
We decided to show 'The Santa Clause' and 'Love Actually' on Dec 8. The response has been good, almost a "sell out".

Mark

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
We're going to show 'The Wizard of Oz' and 'Judy' next weekend. Invites were just sent out, it will be interesting to see how many RSVPs we get considering it falls right between the holidays.

Mark

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
We showed 'John Wick 3' and 'Once Upon a Time in Hollywood' in January. Coming up in 10 days are:

'The Aeronauts'
'Ford v Ferrari'

The seats for those two went VERY quickly and we've already got 3 couples on the waiting list.

Mark

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
Nice match those 2 movies. I know I am old, 64 because I miss so many of the old movie stars. You know the ones who could act, dance, sing, not just a pretty face. Mark it warms my heart to see you share your theater with friends who may not have the gear. It is sooo nice of you. I want to share a song with you about the old movies. Please excuse the ad in the middle of it, but there is versions without ads. I wanted to give you this link so you can see the words. If you like it, share it with your significant other.
I hope you enjoy it.

I loved John Wick 3, so much action. Kept me on the edge of my seat. Not one boring moment.
I just watched a fantastic movie yesterday on HBO called Alita Battle Angel. It was incredible. It had it all, a good story, killer special effects, and it was totally original. Fine piece of work. Check it out.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I spent the last 10 days landscaping the lower tier of our 4' x 40' railroad tie planter. All plants are on a drip system and the bubbling rock fountain is controlled by Siri. Click images for larger versions.

I'm grilling some chicken tonight. I plan to enjoy a few martinis on the patio while the chicken is cooking. :)

Mark

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
Looks awesome! Enjoy the space. Hopefully soon you can get the theater up and running. Especially now, maybe have small groups and space out more. Any way stay safe and hope for better days. Thanks for sharing.

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
I like it too. Are they solar? I keep my porch lights in front and back, and couple of small lights on the side walk way on all night. They are all hardwired and on a separate common area meter. So have you figured out a way to do very small crowds to see a few movies? Maybe just not worth it to take any chances. I am out in MA. and although the numbers are not climbing anymore they are still steady at scary levels.
Averaging 1000 new cases a day and 100 deaths a day. I am still not going to work, as well as my daughter, and wife is lucky enough to work remotely as she is an accountant. 3 year old granddaughter is home with no pre- school too. I wish you the best and stay safe with the family.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, guys! When we had the pavers and wall installed, they installed a 150-watt low voltage landscape lighting transformer.... and seven 1.5-watt lights (under the cap of the wall). So we were only using about 10 watts of the 150. I subsequently added additional lights in the railroad tie planter and, yesterday, the five lights on the hill. The nine lights on the planter posts are 2.5-watt so that's 22.5 watts. The five lights on the hill are 5-watt, so that's 25 watts. Plus an accent light on the fountain at 3-watts. All totaled, we are at 61 watts.

The lights are controlled by Siri and Apple's Home app. I have them set to come on at sunset and go off at 11pm. So, they are only running for about 3 hours right now (longer in the winter).

In fact, everything in the backyard is controlled by Siri/Home app. The fountain, the pergola lights, the grill light and the landscape lighting. It all works great!

We won't be hosting a movie night again until one of these three things happens:

1) The virus has been irradiated to the point that there's no new cases (anywhere) for several months.

2) There's a vaccine and it's proven to be effective.

3) There's a therapeutic treatment that stops COVID-19 in the body.

We figure it will be at least another year before we can reopen the Booth Bijou Garage Theater.

Mark

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
I wish more people thought like you do. Better to wait for something nice, then to rush in and have it all go to hell. It will be worth the wait
because for a small time spent on caution, you gain a lifetime or two or three or four, who knows how many of the friends you host can come back for movie after movie for many more years. Best of luck and can't wait for the reopening!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks