What's new

Books You’ve Read 2021 (1 Viewer)

Jason Goodmanson

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
I think YA gets a bad wrap. Yeah, there is probably a whole mess of bad books out there (you can say that about anything actually ...) but there are quite a few amazing authors who have built some great worlds. Laini Taylor, Marie Lu, and Katherine Arden are three that immediately come to mind.

Like you, I don't know much about Russian mythology, but that's why I appreciated this trilogy. The spirits and myths were all fresh and not overused which made it an interesting read.

I'm also a collector of fancy limited books, and I'd love to see a great limited edition set of this trilogy done. Fingers crossed!

IMG_8492.jpg IMG_8493.jpg

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
Four so far:

Cary Grant: A Brilliant Disguise by Scott Eyman

Kaiser Karl: The Life of Karl Lagerfeld by Raphaelle Bacque

Cinema '62: The Greatest Year at the Movies by Stephen Farber and Michael McClellen

Groucho Marx: The Comedy of Existence by Lee Siegel

LeeBob

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lee Solheim
Reading two at the moment:
Chapterhouse Dune - Frank Herbert; Back in my high school days, I read Dune and it's sequel Children of Dune and never made it any further. I picked up the 6 book set on my tablet last year and am now nearly done with Chapterhouse. On the plus side, I will say that for a series, each book is uniquely different, I am glad I have read the remaining books, but I have not enjoyed the later entries as much as the first two. I am curious what folks thoughts are on the two Brian Herbert sequels which finish the saga (Hunters and Sandworms)- I have heard mixed reviews on those.

The Stand - Stephen King: One of King's best; the ending may not be the best, but the journey is worth it. I am less impressed with the new 2020 mini-series (which I picked up on the excellent new Blu-ray release last year)- will hold judgment till the end, but at this point I prefer the older min-series. I started reading this to deal with the monotony of some of Chapterhouse Dune's duller chapters.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
11547809.jpg

I'm currently reading "Ballistic" by Mark Greaney, the third in the "Grey Man" series. I really enjoy this series and it would translate well to film.
I recently finished "The Last One" by Alexandra Oliva. Fantastic premise -- it's like "Survivor" set in a post-apocalyptic world. Very good read.

LeeBob

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lee Solheim
I'm currently reading "Ballistic" by Mark Greaney, the third in the "Grey Man" series. I really enjoy this series and it would translate well to film.
I read a couple of his entries in Tom Clancy's Ryanverse; Greaney did a great job of pumping some new life into a series that frankly seemed like it was on life-support - I thought his entries were very well written. I may have to give the "Grey Man" series a try.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I think YA gets a bad wrap. Yeah, there is probably a whole mess of bad books out there (you can say that about anything actually ...) but there are quite a few amazing authors who have built some great worlds. Laini Taylor, Marie Lu, and Katherine Arden are three that immediately come to mind.
Not so much anymore, but I used to be a fairly avid reader of Children’s LIt (e.g. Newbery Awards) and YA. Like any genre, they have some great books. The last, best know series I read from YA was The Hunger Games. At this point though, I’m years out of date on the authors, the series, etc.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
First in The Kissing Booth book series, by Welsh author Beth Reekles (now a popular Netflix film series w/Joey King, Joel Courtney, Jacob Elordi, et al.)

kissingboothbook1-1.jpg

kissingboothbook1-2.jpg

Pnochichi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
I have a couple of friends that did over 100 books in 2021 and made me feel like a slacker, so I'm going to buckle down in 2022 and try and do at least half that. I'm off to a good start, but it's going to be hard to maintain pace for sure. I have no idea how they do 100+ in a year. I'd have to do chapter books to read at a clip of 2 a week. ;). Maybe if I was still commuting into the office and listening to audio books both ways I could do it, but here at home it's more actual reading and only listening to audio books on long walks which isn't going to cut it.

brian

HawksFord

Premium
Real Name
Maurice
The older I get, the slower I read. I probably had years where I read over 100 books, but that was a long time ago. I read 42 books last year which included some novellas. I'd be happy if I could get to a book a week this year and I'm off to a good start, but I'll probably slow down when the weather improves.

My other reading goal is to read more books than I buy, but I'll probably fail at that. Again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks