What's new

Books You've Read 2020 (1 Viewer)

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I re-read the entire Foundation series (in publication order), ahead of the TV series that is due in 2021. Think it made a lot more sense the second time around. For purists who say that one should only read the first three, the TV series obviously covers (and indeed will start with) the prequel books, so...

Will have to find some time to re-read Dune too, ahead of the release of the new movie.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I'm reading Philip K Dick stories right now. Just finished We Can Remember It For You Wholesale and The Minority Report. Started The Man in The High Castle. I do like his writing style!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Some more books from 2020 :)

I finished Dune just before the year ended. This has been on my list to re-read for a couple of years now. I read it original in high school, 30-some years ago. I remembered very little of it save some opening details that were reinforced in the '80s movie that I probably saw back then. The audiobook is mostly excellent (with one particularly bad production decision in switching between narrators in the middle that really confused me). The book itself: I know Dune is beloved and considered a masterwork in science fiction, but I was left feeling lukewarm towards it. It's great writing, and tremendous world building. But I wasn't drawn to the characters. Paul Atreides remains a cipher throughout most of the book. There's no real "hero" to root for, or a strong anti-hero to get behind. The characters are real people, unlike the wooden stand-ins that Asimov writes. And, I'd forgotten Dune isn't a complete story. It's the introduction or prologue to a much larger series to follow. So decades later, as a one-off, it doesn't stand exceptionally well for me. And I don't know if I want to continue the series.

The Minuteman was a surprisingly interesting mini-history of the Jewish gangs fighting American Nazis during Prohibition. Highly recommended.

A modern interpretation of Peter Pan. Very good.

Everyone was reading Gaiman's Norse Mythology back in 2017. I finally got to it in 2020. It's Gaiman reading Gaiman. That alone is worth the price of admission. I kinda wish I'd read it back in 2017, when I was finishing Kevin Hearne's The Iron Druid series, as it leans heavily on the Norse gods. In any case, this is exactly what it says it is: a collection of mythological tales told in a somewhat more modern voice to be not terribly dry. But it is still solely Norse mythology. No more, no less. Good if that's what you want. If you're hoping it's secretly a new story by Gaiman, it's not. :)

Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson. Fantastic large-cast reading of classic that holds up great. The first time I've heard the original, and I really enjoyed it.

The Harbinger Series. I'm not sure when I read these. I think I was listneing in 2019 and 2020. I've listened to the four books published so far. They're not amazing, but I find them quite enjoyable. Partly, they have a different voice: the protaginist and a young woman (14-ish and ages through the series), and the primary characters are largely women. It's an interested world with a fun and developing science-magic system.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Just tell me when to cry - Richard Fleischer. Well written but didn't cover all of his best films (probably needed to be 3 volumes).

Memoirs of a Professional Cad - George Sanders. One of my favourite actors.

cinemel1

Second Unit
Real Name
Mel Matsil
Stephen C. Smith biography of Max Steiner is a great read. Good combination of his personal life and career accomplishments.

1610035615709.jpeg

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Well I finished exactly one book in 2020 - Dr. Sleep. Started it in January got through everything but the last 100 pages and let it sit until December where I vowed to finish it before the year's end. Just made it. Now I can watch the film....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.