Big Valley

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by bretmaverick2, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Ron Lee Green

Ron Lee Green Supporting Actor

Sounds like they are competing with Mill Creek or perhaps they are trying a new strategy. Maybe they are thinking the people who already own season 2 volume 1 won't double dip unless the price is low.

2. Ian K McLachlan

Ian K McLachlan Stunt Coordinator

Ian Kenneth McLachlan
    Burke's Law season 1 was released in the UK and only season 1 was released in the U.S.A. Does anyone know why the releases did not proceed onto season 2, Amos Burke- Secret Agent and the series that was made in the 1990s? The Complete Amos Burke - as long as it was cheap enough would work for me.

3. ChrisALM

ChrisALM Supporting Actor

Chris
    I am concerned about the disc count, too. But the price was to good to pass up, so I preordered it and am hoping for the best.

4. Jack P

Jack P Producer

VCI I know wanted to continue Burke's Law but Fox suddenly upped the fees for them so that brought an end to their releases alas. It's in a way fortunate that "Honey West" was a one season title only so that at least was finished!

5. Vahan_Nisanain

Vahan_Nisanain Supporting Actor

Vahan_Nisanain
    And whoever at Fox suggested upping the fees obviously failed Business 101!

6. Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis Screenwriter

Of course I am buying this- hopefully Seasons Three and Four will follow!

7. Kruzer31

Kruzer31 Agent

I e-mailed Timeless regarding the release of seasons 3 and 4. Jennifer from Timeless indicated that seasons 3 and 4 of the Big Valley will also be released in 2014. Hopefully they are using uncut prints.

cherisland likes this.
  8. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

I'm glad these are finally coming but still very concerned about the disc count. 6 hour long episodes per disc has been done by Timeless before without adverse effects but that was for Black and White shows. Since these are color episodes I'm concerned about compression issues, artifacts and ghosting. I wish the list price was a few dollars more and the disc count was 6 but I guess we will have to wait and see.

Gary OS likes this.
  9. smithbrad

smithbrad Screenwriter

Brad
    I received the same news. What didn't work out so well is that they are going forward with a five disk set for season 2. That means 6 episodes per disk or 300 minutes of content. While I recall TGG or Mill Creek putting similar content on a disk that was generally to accommodate a single leftover episode. This is purposely squeezing 6 episodes on all five disks. Timeless is going to take the heat but this seems like a Shout! move to me.

At least they said they are going with 6 disks for seasons 3 and 4 (of course those seasons have 4 less episodes each). I just may have to skip season 2 since I already have the first half, and it doesn't sound like this set is going to have much better quality then a typical TV capture based on the lowered bitrate.

Silverking and Gary OS like this.
  10. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    Well shit. Here's a new picture of the set. Six episodes per disc it is.
    [​IMG]

11. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

Definately concerned about the quality of the episodes. If it has to be 6 per disc I would have preferred flippers to this as I've never had a problem with any of the 300+ flippers I have. I know many don't like them but with 6 episodes per disc, video quality would be superior with flippers. At least they are going to 5 per disc in season 3 and 4. Looks like I will just have to hang onto my Season 2 vol. 1 set for the 1st 15 episodes.

12. jim_falconer

jim_falconer Supporting Actor

Any reviews of this set yet? I believe the release date is early April, correct?

13. Jack P

Jack P Producer

We'll be seeing this out next week. I'm not happy with the six episodes per disc format but we'll see how it looks. I'll be tossing my boots for the remainder of S2 but I intend to hold onto the Fox S2 V1 set as a backup for those episodes and also because the shelving will look better with two Fox sets and ultimately (I hope) three Timeless sets for S2-3-4.

14. ChrisALM

ChrisALM Supporting Actor

Chris
    I have the Fox sets for The Big Valley. They looked beautiful, although we had to deal with flippers. I doubt this Shout release for season 2 will look as good, when considering they are loading up the discs with 6 hour long episodes. I would love to be wrong on this.

15. oldtvshowbuff

oldtvshowbuff Second Unit

James Beer
    I thought the quality of the Stoney Burke set looked great, even for discs 5 & 6 having six episodes each, so I'm sure the quality will be the same for BV S2.

16. Jack P

Jack P Producer

My set arrived today and it so nice to at long last have this series unstalled after what, seven or is it eight years? Anyway, I first checked my favorite episode from the second half of S2 "Lady From Mesa" with Lee Grant (looking a decade younger than her 42 years at the time) and the quality is a big improvement over my Encore boot and on-par with the earlier Fox releases since they are using the same source elements (a late 90s transfer I believe). The slimmer packaging compared to the old Fox releases is why again, for consistency I'm better off keeping the old S2 V1 set in addition to this on the shelf (two Fox, and hopefully three Timeless by year's end).

One Four Star title freed from captivity, now let's just see the same happen with "Burke's Law" someday.

phenri and hypnohighball like this.
  17. oldtvshowbuff

oldtvshowbuff Second Unit

James Beer
    Are you "Survivor" Jeff's brother?

18. gunthertoody

gunthertoody Stunt Coordinator

19. John Hermes

John Hermes Screenwriter

John Hermes
    Got mine today and spot checked things. It looks better than I thought it would at six episodes per disc.

20. Brian Himes

Brian Himes Screenwriter

Brian
    Tvshowsondvd.com has a news story about season 3:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Big-Valley-Season-3/

If this series stays on this same track, we might get the season 4 set by the end of the year. I certainly hope that we do. I'd like to have this one finished as quickly as possible.