What's new

Discovery of new favorite actors through association (1 Viewer)

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I recently saw a thread that mentioned "James Best" and it made me think back to how I was never a fan of Dukes of Hazzard (probably his most remembered role), but how I became a big fan when in later years I got into watching 50's Western TV and Movies. I believe it was as a guest star on a Bonanza episode where he played a trigger happy younger brother that captured my first attention. From then on out if I saw James Best as a guest star it was must see TV (or movie).

This got me thinking about a thread to discuss actors you didn't previously know about (stars or character actors) that became favorites through association to other known actors you watched. For example, I grew up hearing about famous actors like Stewart, Wayne, Fonda, Bogart, Douglas, Cooper, Lancaster, Hepburn, and Davis, which drove me to seek out their movies. This is about discussing who I discovered through them that then became new favorites.

"Barbara Stanwyck" I knew of from Big Valley, but then I saw her in "Lady Eve" with Fonda and then "The Strange Love of Martha Ivers" with Douglas and she became an instant favorite to collect.

"Fred MacMurray" that I knew of from "My Three Sons" and Disney movies, but then saw in "Double Indemnity" with Stanwyck and discovered just how good and well known he was at that time, which led me to collect other films he was in "Trail of the Lonesome Pines" with Fonda, as well as many early comedies.

"Claudet Corbet" who I believe I first saw in the "Egg and I" (obvious source for the later Green Acres TV show) as a result of searching out Fred MacMurray films. I've since collected many others of her films.

"Ward Bond" who I first noted in "Gentleman Jim" with Errol Flynn and now have seen in may Westerns and War movies with Wayne and others, and also, got me into watching early "Wagon Train" episodes.

"Walter Brennan" I believe I may have first seen in "My Darling Clementine" with Fonda and then in "The Guns of Will Sonnett". Such a versatile actor that could play any role and gave 100% every time.

"Peter Lorre" who I knew from "20,000 Leagues from the Sea" with Douglas and then discovered in the "Mr. Moto" series that I picked up at Costco and later in Film Noir movies.

Just to mention a few. I thought I'd put this out there in case others wanted to share if having similar experiences.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks