What's new
World Wide Stereo

Best way to connect DVD video signal to TV? (1 Viewer)

DonRo

Grip
Based upon extensive research here on this board and diverse test reports, I have purchased the Denon DVD-2200 and AVR-1804.

The DVD player arrived yesterday and I assume the AV receiver will arrive within the next couple of days. I read through the DVD’s user manual last evening and I realized they show a number of different ways to connect the DVD to the TV (both directly and via the AVR), but without significant clarification. Note: I plan on purchasing a projector for my home theatre solution... but that will have to wait a while after making this current investment.

My TV is a Sony KV-29FX66 (this may be an European only version, as far as I can tell? I am currently located in Germany) It is just under 1 year old (still in their product line) and is a WEGA 100 Hz 4:3 format (fully supports 16:9 mode though) and has 3 SCART inputs on the back (labeled SAT, DVD, VCR) and 1 S-video input on the front panel.

Nothing in the user manual or on the Sony web site indicates what these inputs really do/are, and as a "newbie" to this whole home theatre situation... I am at a loss to how best to connect my components now.

It is clear (I hope?) that I should connect the audio via the AVR-1804 to the Canton Movie CD1 surround-sound speaker set I also just purchased... but should I connect the video to the TV directly or also via the AVR-1804?

Regardless of directly or via the AVR-1804... does anyone know if I should use the component out, for example from DVD-2200 to the SCART (DVD) input on the Sony TV... or would it be better to use the S-video connection?

I will need to buy the necessary cables and understandably would like to do so before all the new gear arrives. I sincerely appreciate ...and would like to thank anyone who can help me out here.

All the best...
Don

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
Try to use all component and running it through the AVR will simplify things. S-video is second best but what is SCART?

DonRo

Grip
Hi Graham...

Thanks for the quick response. Are you suggesting I run the video signal through the AVR for simplicity of control and use only... or is there also a "quality" issue here? I read in another post that assuming you are using qulaity cables that there should not be a loss or distortion of the video signal.

Note: I also have sent customer support at Sony Germany an e-mail requesting them to clarify the designations on their TV connectors for my set. No answer yet, but I will post when they do.

A SCART connector is a odd-shaped 21 pin connector and seems to be the norm here in Germany. At least all the video (TV/DVD/SAT/VCR) devices here seem to use them. They carry both the video and audio signal. A google search for "scart" under images will provide you with a wealth of examples and pin diagrams. I have not had 15 posts yet, so I can not include an image. But follow the following link you can see what a SCART connector looks like. Go to (www)rfconcepts.co.uk/scart.jpg

Thanks again...
Don living in the land of sauerkraut and beer

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Use the AVR if you have more than one source with the same type of outputs, and only one input on tv. That simplifies switching between sources.........but, suppose you are going to use the s-video output of dvd, and it's the only source that has s-video output, then go straight to tv. It's always better to go straight to tv when possible..........

DonRo

Grip
Hi Ed...

Thanks for your answer. I am also assuming unless one of the SCART inputs supports something better than S-video (that would be "component" wouldn't it?) that I will want to go directly with the S-video connection. Too bad Sony put that input jack in the front panel of the TV (I guess it was primarily intended for a temporary video camera connection? I would hate to see that cable always hanging out the front of the set.) I also have an old VCR (who has time to digitalize all those old family videos!?) and an analog SAT receiver (soon to be replaced with a digital one.)

John S

Senior HTF Member
You want to go directly with the Component Video, if no component video is available from the source then svideo is 2nd best.

DonRo

Grip
Thanks John & Ted...

With the 6-9 hour time difference I missed seeing your posts yesterday. I especially found the link you provided Ted worth reading. Thanks! I had missed that one.

Naturally I will have to test and play around with the new stuff, but I was hoping to hook everything up "out-of-the-box" the way it *should* be set up, and then watch for example the pod-race scene in "Star Wars Episode I" ...then I wanted to try and use a calibration DVD (AVIA etc.) to make all the adjustments and then watch the same scene again. Supposedly I should see (and hear) a noticeable difference. Correct?

I am still waiting for someone or Sony to tell me what input the 3 SCART connectors on the back of my TV can accept. I also need to figure out which cables I need and try and find good quality versions here in Germany.

BTW, you folks have all been extremely helpful and I truly appreciate that. Don

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks