What's new

Best Projector For Under $2500 (1 Viewer)

HT4ME

Agent
Real Name
Matthew Lennartz
All,

I recently posted a question regarding whether I should get a television or projector for my new home theater. The responses overwhelmingly indicated a projector was the way to go. My questions are:

1. What is the best projector I can purchase for under $2500?

2. What screen should I buy with the projector?

I know these are broad questions where many answers will espouse. However, I am trying to narrow down to a few choices from the many answers.

Thanks!

HT4ME

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
schan1269 said:
The "best" projectors are JVC.Everything else is a compromise.
I think the Sony HW50 is worth considering, it gives reasonable contrast levels, very good 3D and is an overall good performer.

HT4ME

Agent
Real Name
Matthew Lennartz
schan1269 said:
Thanks for the feedback. Are there any particular models you would recommend?

~HT4ME

HT4ME

Agent
Real Name
Matthew Lennartz
FoxyMulder said:
I think the Sony HW50 is worth considering, it gives reasonable contrast levels, very good 3D and is an overall good performer.
What about the Panasonci PT-AE8000?

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
HT4ME said:
Thanks for the feedback. Are there any particular models you would recommend?

~HT4ME
Wait two or three months and the prices will drop when the new models get announced with release dates.

The Panasonic is very good for an LCD projector, i think it's better than Epson due to the smooth screen tech, also very good 3D if you need that, also if this is your first projector i believe it will blow you away, the only issue is screen uniformity on LCD models can be worse than competing technology, i also like Panasonics smooth screen technology, i have a Panasonic AE-4000, very good projector but the 8000 will be a big improvement if you can get one with good screen uniformity.

If you don't need 3D or can live with a slightly dimmer image on 3D then hunt down the lower end JVC LCOS models

HT4ME

Agent
Real Name
Matthew Lennartz
All,

Which aspect ratio should I go with? I am used to widescreen from my Panasonic and Sony televisions upstairs. Also, I went to a Projector Screen Store.com and viewed an immense variety of manual and electric screens. Prices seem to be decent. Any takers on the type of screen I should purchase?

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
schan1269 said:

I agree. However for that price he'll need to look at older models and there are some I would avoid....

Models like: HD250 (Pro), HD350 (RS10), HD550 (RS15), HD750 (RS20) and HD950 (RS25) seem to suffer from that light engine defect that may develop over time, a risk with such a well-documented defect. Unfortunate as those designs are whisper quiet, bright and to this day the 750 and 950 remain some of the finest projectors around. I would avoid the 550 outright. Owned it for a time and the light blue whites drove me nuts. :(

The X3 (RS40), X7 (RS50) and X9 (RS60) are not bad choices. Just understand that first generation lamps had an unusually high defect rate and the X3 lacks color management. Theyre also not the brightest projectors, not sure if the OPs room will lend to seeing the benefits. Higher gain screens can help with brightness but that carries its own set of issues. These models would be my choice.

That leaves the X35 (RS46). Reviews sound alot like the X3 and X7, not real bright and no color management.

HT4ME

Agent
Real Name
Matthew Lennartz
All,
I just spoke with the ruler of my little kingdom (the wife). We agreed to up the investment total for a television or projector to $5000 in exchange we will wait on some furniture for the office and craft room. I was looking at the JVC DLA-X55R 3D D-ILA. It reviewed well. Any thoughts? :)
HT4ME

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
HT4ME said:
All,
I just spoke with the ruler of my little kingdom (the wife). We agreed to up the investment total for a television or projector to $5000 in exchange we will wait on some furniture for the office and craft room. I was looking at the JVC DLA-X55R 3D D-ILA. It reviewed well. Any thoughts? :)
HT4ME
Good projector, a few more reviews to consider.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/sony-vpl-hw50es-review-201212042380.htm

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/jvc-dla-x55-201303152685.htm

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/panasonic-pt-at6000-201211052339.htm

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
Consider Samsung for the plasma display. Panasonic's top end models may be better than the top end Samsungs, but below that Samsung competes very well and generally is less expensive for comparable features and performance. IMO, Samsung is a better overall value.

FWIW, P&S are the only new plasmas I would consider and FTR, I am a happy Samsung owner, a 3 year old PN58C6500.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
HT4ME said:
All,
HT4ME
Nice budget increase and great choice.

As long as you keep this in mind its a great choice for you,

"The X55 has excellent black levels and very good contrast, but those are not the only reasons to work on your room's ambient light control. While the X55 is rated at 1200 lumens maximum, its calibrated Cinema mode puts out about 550 lumens with the lamp at low power, and that number can go as low as 380 lumens at the telephoto end of the zoom lens. As such, having a room with no ambient or reflected light is ideal. Aside from turning off the lights, it is also a good idea to cover any reflective surfaces with dark-colored, non-reflective coatings.
To make a long story short, while the X55 is a wonderful projector in the right room, it is not for everyone. Even a little bit of ambient or reflected light can have a major effect on black levels, and anyone considering a purchase should prepare the theater room to take full advantage of the projector's performance. After all, you're paying a premium for it."
http://www.projectorcentral.com/jvc_dla-x55r_home_theater_projector_review.htm

Also price around, and ask around, before you pull the trigger. If you are spending $5,000 MSRP on an X55 you are probably spending way too much. Just as an example my factory refurb RS60 was $12,000 MSRP but I only spent $3400 shipped with a full three year JVC warranty. ;)

HT4ME

Agent
Real Name
Matthew Lennartz
Type A said:
Nice budget increase and great choice.

As long as you keep this in mind its a great choice for you,

"The X55 has excellent black levels and very good contrast, but those are not the only reasons to work on your room's ambient light control. While the X55 is rated at 1200 lumens maximum, its calibrated Cinema mode puts out about 550 lumens with the lamp at low power, and that number can go as low as 380 lumens at the telephoto end of the zoom lens. As such, having a room with no ambient or reflected light is ideal. Aside from turning off the lights, it is also a good idea to cover any reflective surfaces with dark-colored, non-reflective coatings.
To make a long story short, while the X55 is a wonderful projector in the right room, it is not for everyone. Even a little bit of ambient or reflected light can have a major effect on black levels, and anyone considering a purchase should prepare the theater room to take full advantage of the projector's performance. After all, you're paying a premium for it."
http://www.projectorcentral.com/jvc_dla-x55r_home_theater_projector_review.htm

Also price around, and ask around, before you pull the trigger. If you are spending $5,000 MSRP on an X55 you are probably spending way too much. Just as an example my factory refurb RS60 was $12,000 MSRP but I only spent $3400 shipped with a full three year JVC warranty. ;)
Thanks. After reviewing the information provided in the link you offered, I would prefer to purchase a projector that is more flexible when working with ambient light. Do you have any recommendations?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The ambient light is slightly overblown.Questions...Do you plan to use 3d?How often is the room(other than of course, football) going to be used before sundown?First...If "never", the 55 is more than adequate anyway.Second...And, this is why a plasma should be in the room.

HT4ME

Agent
Real Name
Matthew Lennartz

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
HT4ME said:
Thanks. After reviewing the information provided in the link you offered, I would prefer to purchase a projector that is more flexible when working with ambient light. Do you have any recommendations?
The Sony HW50. About 1000 lumens in best image mode, compared to about 650 for the JVC and Panny. Wont touch a JVC in black levels but will be a lot brighter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks