What's new

Planning my theatre, need a projector (1 Viewer)

JoshGivens

Stunt Coordinator
I'm trying to get everything lined out for my theater now so I'll be ready (as much as possible) when the building gets started in a couple weeks.

Here's a post about the specifics of the room:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=219092

I'm looking for a projector that will give me the best HD picture for under $2500. This is how much I've budgeted to spend and I'm pretty new to the front projection market so your help will be greatly appreciated.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Do you at least have a preference on technology?

Lots of good projectors in your price range. Hard to narrow it down. What projectors have you viewed and liked in person?

JoshGivens

Stunt Coordinator
Well, let me say this. I'm looking at about a 110" screen, preferrably. I've been told by a friend of mind that the new HD DLP projectors are producing some really good pictures now and have less of the SD problem that they were known for in the past. I just want the best picture quality for the money.

He has the Panasonic LCD 600 model I think.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I'll let the DLP fans chime in on this one. I'm an LCD fan. The AE900 has a big fan base here. I went with a relative cheapie LCD HD and I am very happy with it.

Best is not enough to go on. Lots of different opinions on what is best. If you like your friends LCD, maybe stick with LCD.

Displays / display technologies are mostly about different trade offs. You have to decide which trade offs matter most to you.

JoshGivens

Stunt Coordinator
He just upgraded to the AE900 but I haven't been over to check it out yet. I haven't actually seen any new DLP's so I'm leaning toward the LCD's based on what I've seen but hopefully I'll get to demo one somewhere before I go that route.

JoshGivens

Stunt Coordinator
Friend of mine that I was referring to has the Sanyo Z4 now. Got to check it out last night and the picture quality was nice plus it had several nice features and comes with an extra bulb.

So now I'm comparing between this projector and an ae900u. Guess I need to start doing my homework to see which I like the best.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Not that you can go wrong with eithe one of those for sure.

The Z4 is very versitile, can go in just about any room, placed just about anywhere, and give just about any throw -vs- screen size you could possibly want.

I wish I could afford one. Even with a free replacement lamp, $2k purchases are near impossible for me. I'd use my current projector as a back up in case of failure if I could get one. :)

Pretty happy with my projector though in all honesty and it didn't cost very much at all.

Krishna

Auditioning
Consider the upcoming Optoma HD72 (MSRP 4K, but already advertised at under $2K). 720p DLP, 5000:1 contrast ratio, 1300 lumens.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if he has 8' cielings for that Optoma HD72??

I didn't see it listed in the other thread he linked to.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Well dang man.. Go with the Optoma HD72 for sure. As long as you definetly like DLP technology.

Supposed to be the coolest thing out there for 16:9 and 4:3 both on it. It has an interesting native resolution. This one pretty much floored everybody at the recent big electronics show from all I read about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks