What's new

Best Paradigm match? (Reciever) (1 Viewer)

Craig Ball

Second Unit
I have the Paradigm monitor series hooked up to an H/K avr 230, I'm looking at getting a Yamaha RX-V1400. Are any of you guys running Yamaha and Paradigms together? Is this a good match in your opinion/s?

Craig

FeisalK

Screenwriter
Craig,

I have Atomsx4 and used to run them on an older Yamaha, sounded great, and by all accounts the new Yammies are even better.

Craig Ball

Second Unit
Chris Collins, I want to run 7.1 without adding an external amp because the 230 is just 6.1, also the little dust doors for the toslink cables broke off when i tried to use monster cables!! that really pissed me off now i have to gently lay the dust doors on top of the cables to get them to snap in, so when you do get toslink cables for the H/K don't get monster!! Another minor problem but not a huge issue was that the reciever won't put out a test tone to the subwoofer when trying to set up your speaks you have to use Vidoe essentials or similar disc to set-up the sub. Hope this hepled you a bit.

Craig

Brad H

Auditioning
Real Name
Brad H
Hey Craig

I'm running a Marantz 7400 with a paradigm monitor setup. It's not too bright and I think sounds great. Great features(without THX cert - that's a debate-able issue) and a stellar remote with LCD screen and programmable one-touch macro's.

I'm more than happy running the mini's, adp 170's and the CC370 with my Marantz, now my dilemma is what sub or do I DIY it for the best bang for the buck!

Cheers
Brad

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
I'm running my paradigm studio series with a B&K AVR-507 and its a terrific match. Any warm sounding amplifier will make your paradigms sing. I would actually stay away from Sony and Yamaha as these receivers tend to be a little bright with Paradigms IMO. I use to have a Sony ES receiver and was always disapointed with the match-up. This is of course my opinion and I'm not trying to start a debate. Other receivers that would sound good include Haramon Kardan, Marantz, Denon and B&K. I've heard paradigms with all of these brands and they matched well. If I had to choose in any particular order I would go B&K, Marantz, Harmon Kardan, and Denon. Hope this helps you...

Greg

Craig Ball

Second Unit
greggor i find it surprising that you find yamaha a little bright, I has a DSP-A1 in the past running Klipsch legends speaks that were 102db sensative and a lot of people think klipsch are bright speakers but i still like them a lot. I'm hoping it will be a good set-up anyway, I'll be running Monitor 9 as fronts, CC-370, ADP-370 side surrounds, and mini monitors rear surrounds. Oh and my PW-2200.

Craig

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg

I do find Yamaha to sound bright. If you don't then you are as right not to think so as someoene else is to think Yamahas sound bright. The fact is, that no two people hear things exactly the same. Thats why there are so many different Speaker/Amp/Receiver combinations out there. Paradigms have been classified by many listeners as bright/ and somewhat forward sounding and thats why warmer sounding amps tend to match better with Paradigm speakers. Threads like these are extremely difficult to advise on because there are so many personal likes and dislikes involved. Virtually any receiver could have been recommended and someoene out there would have thought it was a good match and describe the sound differently then the way you or I would perceive it. It's important to find a combination that sounds best to you. In my opinion there are better matches with Paradigms than Yamaha. I base this on what I have heard with my ears and on my personal experiences. If you like the combination than you made the right choice.

Greg

DavidCooper

Stunt Coordinator
I used to have a Paradigm / Yamaha system. I also found it to be a bit too bright for my ears. I got a Denon and I liked the sound a lot better. However, I still found the Paradigms to be a bit harsh in the highs. The Denon did help but eventually I purchased different speakers and that did the trick.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that speakers sound different to almost everyone. You should listen to as many as you can and go with what your ears tell you. For me, in the showroom I thought the Paradigms sounded best. After living with them for several months I realized I didn't like the tweeter they used. Thus going a different route.

I still think Paradigm makes a great product for the money and they are great sounding speakers. They can tend to be a bit bright but by no means a forward in your face speaker. It just depends on what sound you like.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I've owned a variety of the Monitor series and they were on the bright side to me, and IMO, do not pair well with the lower end Yamaha receivers. The higher Yamahas do sound better, but are still not a perfect match with Paradigm to my ears.

To me, the brigher nature of the 'digms is offset well by warmer receivers such as NAD, Marantz and H/K. In my own systems, I used Marantz.

After many years of Paradigms, I too decided to move away from them to a speaker with less of that characteristic brighter high. IMO, it's not the tweeter, it's the x-over they use, because that tweeter could be tamed a bit. I've always preferred soft domes.

NickScott

Stunt Coordinator
I have the HK avr 630 with Paradigm 11seMK3, cc-300, 9seMK2, and everything really shines. I love it 100%. Oodles of power for the whole setup.

Craig Ball

Second Unit
We'll guys thanks for all your replys, I didn't get the Yamaha after all, I spent a little more money and bought the Denon 2805, so far so good.

Craig

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
Craig I think you will be happy with the Denon/Paradigm combo. The important thing though is that you like the combination. Good luck!

Craig Ball

Second Unit
SO far it seems to be a great combo, the speakers are more open IMO, they sound like they did at the store when I originally audtioned them and the bass response is also better which i missed. I think the Denon is here to stay and thr H/K going into the bedroom.

Craig

MichaelPR

Second Unit
I feel the same way Craig after getting rid of my Yamaha earlier this week. The Denon really made the speakers sound more natural and vibrant to my ears, especially in the lower end.

craig_curtis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Craig
I had the Titans running on my denon 1804 and loved it. I just upgraded to the mini-monitors (still on the 1804) and so far it sounds even better than it did. Alot crisper. The titans are now my surrounds...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks